Talk

Advanced search

When should first appt be?

(8 Posts)
astrochimp Tue 25-Feb-14 13:56:25

I've just had a positive home test showing 2-3 weeks (yay!).

I'm excited but this is all new to me, most of what I've read says I should see my GP asap.

I called to make an appt but the receptionist said I don't need to be seen until 12 weeks and to call back then. Shouldn't I have an early stage appt to confirm results and be given some advice on what to expect/how to look after myself for the first 12 weeks? What's the norm?

GummiBear74 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:58:32

That's totally wrong! Your first scan should be at 12 weeks and you should have a booking in appt with the midwife at 8-10 weeks iirc.

Hufflemother1 Tue 25-Feb-14 14:00:58

Agree with Gummi, with both of mine I went for a booking in appt at around 8wks so you're on the system to be sent an appointment letter from hospital for your scan. Ring back in a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll speak to someone else!

Thurlow Tue 25-Feb-14 14:10:01

I didn't have a test to confirm the results, and I think most places now just accept a home test as they are so reliable. I did see a doctor a 6w though (was useless and thought it was 10w and we were in a rush, had a '12'w scan that showed a tiny wee 8wo, very embarrassing...) but I didn't tell them it was related to pregnancy.

I'd call back and say that you want to know exactly what the procedure is as you'll generally have a booking in scan at 8-12 weeks, and then the 12w scan. Though places do differ, and I think some do the booking in appointment at the same time as the scan.

But you definitely need to be on a system somewhere so everything is in place for 12 weeks. Call again and ask the procedure, and if that doesn't work personally I'd just make a GP appoint.

astrochimp Tue 25-Feb-14 14:41:25

Thanks everyone. I'll call back in a week or so and hope I get someone different on the phone! Even if I get the same person I'll ask exactly what the procedure is so I know what to expect - I just felt a little fobbed off sad

She didn't even ask for my name so for all she knew I could have been a teenager! (I'm not, I'm 33 and I've already done a lot of reading around so am hopefully doing all the right things).

Nice to know I can get help here too!

astrochimp Tue 25-Feb-14 18:52:41

I've just realised my 'could have been a teenager' comment may have come across as snobby - it was meant as I could have been young, unplanned and scared rather than old(er), planned and excited - the receptionist was none the wiser as she didn't ask me any questions.

SwimmingMom Tue 25-Feb-14 19:10:41

You must definitely see a GP soon as you need to be referred to the hospital of your choice. Depending on where you live (ESP London) it's an advantage to get referred early least you get turned down at your chosen hospital due to too many bookings before you for same EDD.

Also you need your supplements sorted - folic, calcium & general, free prescription form filled & blood pressure checked. If you want a flu vaccine you can ask for that too.

Once referred the hospital will take over but from detection to 10 weeks GP is your first port of call.

We also did a 7 week private scan to rule out ectopic, but that's optional.

Goodluck!

amy246 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:43:32

I had my gp app at 8 weeks, booking at 10 and scan at 12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now