Talk

Advanced search

Harmony test at FMC in Jan

(24 Posts)
erikab922 Wed 18-Dec-13 22:35:57

I had a 1:5 chance of Downs in my last pregnancy and went for amnio where they had to make two passes with the needle since my LO wouldn't stay still. God that wait for results in interminable! The whole experience made my DH not want to have another child.

Well, here I am at 41 and we're expecting no 2. When my stepmother asked me what I wanted for Christmas I said 'a blood test, please!'. Have booked in for the Harmony test at FMC next month. I'm in Yorkshire and booked an £11 return ticket on National Express to be able to afford two trips to London. My husband is taking the day off on both days to watch our LO so I will look at it as a chance to catch up on my reading...

For anyone interested in the current prices, I am going during my 10th week of pregnancy and am having a viability scan and blood drawn during the first appt, and a nuchal scan and test results at the second appt, all for £400. Used to be £180 during the 10th week but now it's £400. Still a bargain for what it is (if you can call anything costing £400 a bargain).

Lorakk Thu 19-Dec-13 00:37:45

Hi Good luck! I hope the waiting time will pass quickly.And big thank you for letting us know the current situation. I had harmony test in march due to high risk.

CrispyFB Thu 19-Dec-13 20:53:56

Good luck!! I went straight for Harmony this time too after a 1 in 34 last time. Glad I did as when I got my NT screening results (at the same time as my Harmony results) I was 1 in 5.. would have gone to pieces!

And thanks for sharing the current offers at FMC!

Applesauce29 Sat 04-Jan-14 08:43:13

Hi, I had the Harmony test done at FMC too on 31 Dec. waiting for results now. We paid and extra £10 to find out the sex. Nuchal scan booked for 9th, which is a little early for Harmony results, but going on hol, so might have to wait some more for them.

Toffee2014 Thu 09-Jan-14 09:16:45

Hi,

I was given a 1:85 chance I'm 30 years old, I had at test called the 'panorama' test yesterday at Harley st, it was expensive at £600 I think it's very similar to Harmony test, I think it's so hard all these probability results are thrown at us then you have to pay privately to have a safer test. We have to wait about 10 days for results which is going to be torture!

erikab922 Thu 16-Jan-14 13:30:29

Applesauce I forgot you can find out the gender! Thanks for the reminder. Did you get your results?

Toffee2014 Thu 16-Jan-14 14:05:31

I very literally just this second got them! All low risk and a baby girl I'm not sure if I want to cry with relief or go round hugging everyone! I definitely feel the nhs should offer this test as then we wouldn't have had to wait so long. X

CrispyFB Thu 16-Jan-14 20:20:44

That's great news Toffee! smile You must feel so relieved!

I read on another thread that Kings now offer it, and I believe UCLH does too. So that's two NHS hospitals, there may well be more, and I'm sure it will be rolled out further before too long.

Toffee2014 Fri 17-Jan-14 07:03:26

Thank you Crispy, yes I think you are right - if they don't we will have to start a petition!

nyldn Sat 18-Jan-14 17:36:48

toffee, wonderful news about your good results! UCHL does offer now, called the NIPT. currently in my 2 week wait for these results as we were given 1:38 odds for DS. the wait is horrendous and we're only 2 days in....

Toffee2014 Sat 18-Jan-14 18:39:53

Hi Nyldn,

Thank you it was such a relief to get them. That's great news you were given a test, I know the wait is awful, I ended up googling far more than I should but I found that so many women are placed in the 'high risk' group and the vast vast majority have positive outcomes, 1:38 I think works out as just under a 3% risk so much more positive than negative, I know how it feels though you just want the results! Try and keep busy and time will go faster. Best wishes xx

CrispyFB Sat 18-Jan-14 19:11:22

Sorry to hear you are going through this stressful wait nyldn! When I waited it out last time (20 weeks of wait - didn't want invasive testing and no Harmony option back then) I spent a lot of time lurking on forums reading people's results. It was so so rare for anyone above 1 in 10 to have a positive result, and when they did, it was usually 1 in 15 or less.

I hope the rest of the next fortnight passes quickly for you! It is hard to think of anything else, I know.

erikab922 Wed 22-Jan-14 22:42:31

My test is tomorrow, I am a bundle of nerves. DH has the day off of work but it was too expensive for us to both go so he's taking me out for breakfast before I leave for the train. Absolutely love hearing about everyone's great results and hoping to add to it soon!

nyldn Mon 27-Jan-14 17:31:09

Just received my results - all low risk! Can't express how relieved I am... it' so wonderful that the NHS is starting to offer this test. for anyone wondering, I had my blood drawn for the test on the 16th. Results today. It needs to be shipped to the US and there was a US holiday in there, so I wound up waiting 6 business days.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 27-Jan-14 23:27:31

Yay! Wonderful news!! X

Tranquilitybaby Mon 27-Jan-14 23:27:57

Hope yours goes well Erika x

nyldn Mon 27-Jan-14 23:47:45

erika, keeping you in my thoughts!

CrispyFB Tue 28-Jan-14 11:37:39

That's great news nyldn! Hope you don't have too long to wait erika smile

Toucanet Sat 01-Feb-14 00:23:19

Good news nyldn! Fingers crossed for you Erika.

I have NIPT aka Harmony booked for this afternoon at MUMS Birmingham. £400 at fmc in Dec sounded vg as I'm quoted £550 which is £85 for a viability scan and if it is, the remaining £465 for Harmony. Only just looked at fmc and see they do a 'fetal early anomaly scan' before Harmony @ £150, + £400 for Harmony making total the same. So hope that MUMS will actually check for more than just a heartbeat, if the latter's there. (Midwife says MUMS used to charge £620 and reduction to £550 is as that's what the NHS Harmony 'pilot' is charging (unfortunately it's not in my area)). Now I've looked at fmc in London that seems better, but MUMS today works for me to tie in with my NHS scan/bloods scheduled for next week, so just hoping for a heartbeat. (Had a mmc last year and virtually symptom-free now so fear this may be the same). Will report back in case anyone else's looking for info on Harmony outside London. x

Iris16 Sat 01-Feb-14 09:40:43

Best of luck to everyone waiting for test results. Also, it is really lovely to read good outcomes from the ladies who have had their results. I hope everyone waiting gets a good result as soon as possible (being stuck in the 'waiting room' for results is awful - I'm driving myself half crazy) x

Toucanet Sat 01-Feb-14 22:10:10

Well as expected for me unfortunately. No heartbeat though it had lasted till 9 weeks, so slightly better than last year when only 6 weeks (each time diagnosed at 11-12 wks). Difference this time I'm not bleeding, so'll probably book medical management instead of waiting. Elena Greco at MUMS Birmingham (Solihull) was very nice. With early miscarriages v likely to be due to chromosomal abnormalities, if I get pregnant again and make it to 10 weeks will definitely go for Harmony. Nearly 40 now though, so I know the chance of being 3rd time lucky is slim.
Best wishes everyone for the rest of your pregnancies.

lostlove Sun 02-Feb-14 00:59:36

So sorry it was not good news, Toucanet.

Iris16 Sun 02-Feb-14 09:05:53

Thoughts are with you, Toucanet x

louise03 Fri 14-Feb-14 06:15:36

I am 16 weeks pregnant. My nuchel fold test measured at 1.2 very small (good result) my blood test came back at 12 weeks saying I'm 1:23,000 of having downs baby. Very positive result again BUT as I am 42 and they (nhs) class you as 'high risk' I feel I should get the harmony test to make sure I won't have a downs baby. I do not want to get the amnio test to risky I feel. What do others think? I'd appreciate advice. Should I leave it or have the test (£550-in Birmingham) thanks for your time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now