Advanced search

Low free beta-hcg result at triple test?

(5 Posts)
spicynaknik Wed 02-Oct-13 10:21:14

I had the Harmony test at 10+4 at FMC London. Bloods were taken for the triple test at the same time.

I got my results yesterday, 1 in 10,000 for trisonomies 21, 13 and 18.

Nuchal measurement yesterday was 1.6mm and Dr said on the basis of that plus my bloods, my risk reduced from background risk of 1 in 98 (due to age) to 1 in 1800 (but that in any case the harmony test decreased the risk to less than 1 in 10,000).

He said everything is fine, we're happy with your results, enjoy yr pregnancy.

However, when I got home I checked my Free bet-hcg and PAPP-A against normal values, and it seems my free beta-hcg is very low.

Free beta-hCG is 0.3325 MoM
PAPP-A is 1.2490 MoM.

I can't seem to find much info on this and the FMC weren't concerned, I guess because I have already had the harmony test.

I guess I am concerned that it might mean growth issues or something. Am currently measuring 12 +3 against my LMP dates of 12 +4 so it seems fine.

Sorry, waffling a bit - my question is has anyone has low free beta-hcg at this stage and did it mean anything?

CrispyFB Wed 02-Oct-13 19:10:59

Not quite the same, but sort of similar circumstances. Like you I got mine done at the FMC and had an NT screening too.

In my case though, my bHCG was crazy high - 5.43MoM!!

They told me that it might indicate issues with the placenta later on, and I'll need a growth scan as a result at 28 weeks or so.

They also recommended a cardiac scan as the nuchal was "borderline" at 2.7mm. Thank goodness for a negative Harmony as my NT screening was 1 in 5 thanks to those results.

With my last baby I had low PAPP-A of 0.23MoM - and again they told me I would need a growth scan due to again, potential placenta issues.

So I would hazard a guess that the fact they said nothing to you means it is nothing to worry about? They seem pretty on the ball over "outside the norm" results.

spicynaknik Wed 02-Oct-13 20:44:27

Thank you. That is what I keeping telling myself. I think perhaps it is just that having now got those initial worries out of the way, I am just looking for something else to worry about, as if I can't just relax and assume it's all going to be OK.

But I know that's what I need to do, and the FMC do have a great rep for being thorough.

I hope your recommended checks turn out to be just precautions for you and everything turns out well.

CrispyFB Wed 02-Oct-13 21:22:32

Believe me, I can relate to that! I always need to have something to worry about.. "fortunately" for me pregnancy usually seems to provide something appropriate to fixate over, ha ha.

Last time around I ended up with an average sized baby. However my first two were huge (95th percentile or more) The professor said in my case as I make such whoppers, most growth issues would just result in an average size baby for me.. and he was right!

Hoping for similar this time around as a worst case scenario!!

Out of curiosity I had a quick Google myself. Seems that as it is so hard to find much out, that it obviously can't be anything too worrying. You get far, far more results searching for low PAPP-A or high bHCG after all. There's a few mentions of (as you've said in your OP) a small risk of growth issues, but if the FMC didn't mention it then presumably they don't see it as enough of an issue. The fact they recommended a cardiac scan for me with a borderline nuchal (as opposed to the more worrying 3.5mm or over) shows how conscientious they are.

One thread I found that seemed quite interesting was this one here: (read the OPs posts, everyone else is as predicted a bit "huh?") but of course that is just a post on a forum, not a proper research paper! All the same, if what she says is true then that sounds promising for you (1% chance) given you have similar results. For what it's worth with my crazy low PAPP-A I was told a 1 in 5 chance of a growth issue.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. Even without Harmony those are fantastic odds for an NT screening given your background risk.

richa6 Tue 10-Feb-15 13:20:34

hi spicynaknik
even i have exactly same problem as you had before
so can you plz tell me later when you went for growth scans what were the results ?i am also bit worried due to loe beta hcg
thank you and i m waiting for your reply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now