Can anyone reassure me about Cytomegalovirus (CMV)? Freaking out

(5 Posts)
LePamplemousseMousse Mon 30-Sep-13 18:01:02

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a positive Torch Screen for CMV and then all has been fine with your baby?

I've just been told I tested positive on a sample taken at about 34 weeks (I'm now over 36), which would mean I'd contracted CMV in the previous 2-3 three months, so I guess somewhere in the late second or early third trimester. It appears I have a 'primary' infection, i.e. I've contracted it for the first time so don't have any previous immunity.

I've done all the usual Googling and read the NHS information, which frankly has really freaked me out in terms of risks of long term conditions and disabilities for the baby. I can't get a true sense of how likely this is, especially as the virus itself seems to be very common in the population. I've been called in to see the consultant immediately but have no idea what will be said or done.

I'm just looking for some reassurance really. I was really looking forward to the last weeks of pregnancy and now I am so worried for my baby.

TIA

lostlove Mon 30-Sep-13 23:05:15

I'm afraid I know nothing about CMV other than what I've just read on NHS Choices, but I didn't want your post to go unanswered.

On the 'Can cytomegalovirus (CMV) harm my baby during pregnancy?' page it says that:

It is estimated that a third of women who become infected by the CMV for the first time during pregnancy will pass the infection on to their unborn baby.

and

Only 10% of unborn babies infected with the CMV virus will go on to develop problems, but unfortunately, these problems can be serious.

So, while that last bit is obviously very worrying, surely you've a very good chance of everything being fine? As in, there's a two in three chance you won't have passed it on, and then there's a 90% chance the baby won't be affected.

I must stress that I'm totally unqualified to offer you any advice, but if it was me I'd take a little comfort from the fact the odds seemed in my favour.

Hopefully somebody knowledgable or with experience will be along soon, and the consultant will be able to answer your questions and help you better understand the risk asap.

I'm sorry this has clouded the last weeks of your pregnancy - I hope you get a happy outcome.

LePamplemousseMousse Tue 01-Oct-13 08:58:54

Thanks lost. Once I calmed down a bit I managed to look at the numbers involved and I feel a bit better. The UK stats are for some reason more positive than the US ones, so I'm just going to go with what they say in the UK!

I'm quite worried that once the baby is born he's going to be immediately taken from us for tests, even if everything looks OK from the APGAR examination. I guess there's no point going through the 'what ifs' until I've seen the consultant. Feeling really sad still, so thanks for your kind words.

Giddypants Thu 24-Oct-13 01:35:51

Hello, I had a bit of a freak out during my pregnancy with ds2. Basically I'm a nurse, and caring for a pt who had secondary CMV following chemo. I didn't know she had CMV when I was looking after her, and was told that later, and as I was pregnant (24 weeks) I should get a test to see off I already had anti bodies. Well of course I hadn't so I scared myself silly for months. But during that time I looked up statistics etc, and found that for the baby to have congenital CMV it was most likely to have been caught my the mother in the first trimester. Of those babies born with it 1% went on to have significant problems, so really low risk! but yes I know where you are coming from. Try to stay positive x

farranx123 Thu 15-Sep-16 10:04:03

Hello,

I have found it hard to come across posts regarding CMV. At my 20 week scan they found that our baby had slightly echogenic bowel and did some viral blood tests. 2 weeks later we went back for another fetal medicine scan and it turns out that i tested positive for CMV, suggestive that it is a primary infection caught between 6-8 weeks of my pregnancy. I feel so unlucky that i may have caught it at this time as i have read it is the most dangerous and high risk time to catch the infection for the baby. I am trying to stay positive but am finding it quite hard most of the time as alot of the outcomes i have read from people are worrying.

I have come across experimental trials to HIG Hyperimmunoglobin treatment to prevent symptons in the unborn baby, i was wondering if anybody else has heard of this? And how i would go about getting this?

Any advice/insight would be so helpfull x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now