Has anyone ever been through this with Di/di (dcda) twins? I'm going to be about 20 weeks and as much as I'm devastated it seems like the only option to give the other one as much chance as possible. The one that is ill has a fatal trisomy disorder by the look of things. A few questions: Do you think they would consider giving me a sedation? Has anyone been through this before with dcda twins?
I'm terrified I will lose the other one because of the procedure but I dont really have a choice :-( So scared.
Hi there, yes, I went through this when one of my twins was found to have Down's syndrome and heart problems. I'm not sure whether they would consider sedation. I'm presuming you've had a CVS to get the diagnosis. If so, then the procedure is no more uncomfortable than that and was over in just a couple of minutes.
I had the procedure done at about 14 weeks and my understanding is that the sooner you have it done the better. I was told that there's a small risk that you will miscarry (about 5% I think) so a 95% chance that everything will be fine. I went on to have a very uncomplicated pregnancy after the procedure and ended up having to be induced at 42 weeks.
Where are you having it done?
Please do PM me if you would like to talk more or need more information.
It's such a difficult time -- I really feel for you. x
Yaya - thanks for your email. I will be 20 weeks next week and only found out the abnormalities last week on the scan. I haven't had any other tests and the Dr at UCH Fetal Medicine is very confident that all the signs are pointing towards one of two fatal disorders. I dont want to just have the amnio to find out what is wrong if it's going to put the other baby at risk.
I'm just so scared about the procedure itself and obviously losing the other baby - but there's nothing I can do.
Trishala - Dy Kypros is meant to be one of the world experts. I am at UCH for mine and really hope my Dr is as good. x
Nicole, it must have been such a shock finding out at 20 weeks, when you think you're through the worst bit. I'm so sorry.
It sounds like fetal reduction is the only option. Are you with Pranav Pandya? He's wonderful and I would totally trust him. You will be in very safe hands.
I was at UCH, but because it all happened over Xmas for me and Pranav Pandya was away, I ended up going to Kypros Nicolaides to have my CVS and reduction procedure done. Pranav Pandya trained with Nicolaides, who told me that only he (Pandya) should do my CVS. If you're not with Pandya, I would definitely push to have him do it.
I had several follow-up scans with Pandya at UCH and he was amazing.
I'm with another dr called George. I don't want to make a big fuss and ask for someone else and I've been told my dr is really experienced too. I'm not sure what to do now. I emailed kypros but haven't had a response. I'm going in on Tuesday. Does it really hurt? X
dear yaya i ve mailed dr kypros several times but he did not response. now i am 14.4 weeks and now it would be difficult to come to london for reduction.do dr pandya also does reduction? till wht week he does the reduction.
Dr Pandya is at UCH in London. There isn't an official time when they can't do a reduction but the later on the higher the risk. I got told yesterday (19w 4 days) that they are going to make me wait until 32 weeks now as the risk is 20% to get it done now. if they do it at 32 weeks the other baby can be delivered IF it causes pre term labour. Very awful situation to be in.
I would really appreciate advice on recommended hospitals / clinics in UK for selective reduction. I've read about Kings Hospital and am awaiting a callback but where else could we go....? We have an abnormality with one of our twins and made the agonising decision that selective reduction is best solution for us and prospects of the currently healthy twin. We live in Ireland though so need to travel to UK which is further adding to the agony of the decision and process ahead....thanks for your advice.