Advanced search

Advice about CVS - Im not sure if i fully understood midwife.

(9 Posts)
Shellywelly1973 Thu 13-Jun-13 23:05:53

I had my booking in appointment today. Im 7wks. Im 39 only health problems are an underactive thyroid. 6th baby.

I wondered if due to my age i would be offered a CVS. The midwife asked me, had my partner & i discussed what we would do if we got bad results. I said we'd already agreed to terminate as we have an 8 year old Ds who has complex SN. We both realise our limits...

She said i would be able to have one & to discuss it at an appointment I've got with a consultant in 10 days. Has anyone else not had screening tests & had a CVS first?

I know they can't be done before 10 weeks but is there a 'standard' time CVS is normally done.


lljkk Fri 14-Jun-13 12:01:34

Might be local policies you need to consult. Standard window is about 11-13 weeks. Maybe amnio offered not CVS. How old will you be on due-date?

Shellywelly1973 Fri 14-Jun-13 14:38:04

I will be 40 in Sept. Baby is due January...

Quangle Fri 14-Jun-13 14:44:56

There is a window you must not miss for CVS.

I skipped screening and went straight to CVS at about 12 weeks iirc - but I had a history of genetic problems so there were no problems about "allowing" me to do that. I think though that you are entitled to CVS if you want one, regardless of your assessed risk, but don't quote me on that.

SuitedandBooted Fri 14-Jun-13 22:54:59

I skipped NHS screening, and had a CVS done for both my pregnancies, but I had to pay for it, as the only options in my area are/were nuchal scans, (which aren't conclusive) with a possible amnio if the results were bad. Like you, I was sure in advance what our decision would be if there was a serious problem with either baby, and I didn't want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary to find out. I had my CVS's done at The Fetal Medicine Centre in London, both done at 11-12 weeks. It was all very straightforward, and both DC were fine, and born when I was (nearly) 40 and 43.

beedles17 Fri 28-Jun-13 10:38:44

they will not offer a cvs without blood first. nuchal plus bloods is a SCREENING test not diagnostic. those who are identified as high risk are offered more definitive tests, cvs or amnio. these both increase risk of mc by about 1%.

Four4me Sat 29-Jun-13 10:32:06

I opted for having just cvs's with my dc 2,3&4 as dc1 has Down's syndrome. All done at 11 weeks.

Shellywelly1973 Sat 29-Jun-13 12:28:59

Thanks. Im having my 12 wk scan on Tuesday 16/7. Will have nuchael test & usual looking for soft markers. CVS booked for Thursday 18/7.

Due to my age and family circumstances including a Ds with complex SN i will not continue with the pregnancy should any abnormalities be found.

They do skip bloods in some circumstances. I need to know if this baby has DS as soon as possible. So would be having a CVS almost regardless of the screening rescults.

With my last 3 dc i only had nuchael test. Declined all further screening as through results wouldn't have influenced my decision.

At 40 with a SN child i know i couldn't cope with another SN child. I live the reality of it everyday.

Four4me Sat 29-Jun-13 15:10:09

Fingers crossed all goes well for you, it is emotionally very tough decision to contemplate, but in our situation with one baby/child with DS already I wouldn't have found any 1:number stats reassuring. Therefore didn't have any other screening other than the cvs.
I wouldn't change ds1 for the whole world, but like you realised how physically and emotionally hard having one child with sn is. We have gone on to have three more genetically normal children and have a big crazy family.
I hope all goes smoothly for you and your family. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now