Advanced search

Has anyone had a late amnio (3rd trimester)?

(9 Posts)
Artichook Sat 06-Apr-13 08:28:45

I am 34 weeks and considering an amnio.

My NHS combined 12 week result gave me a 1 in 10 chance of Down Syndrome. I had this test repeated privately and got a much better score (something like 1 in 3000). I also had the new Harmony test which gave me 1 in 10000 risk. I decided to decline invasive testing due to fear of miscarriage. The NHS said the offer of an amnio would be available 'til term and pointed out that in the 3rd tri the risk is not miscarriage but early labour.

Now I'm 34 weeks. This is my 3rd baby and the pregnancy has been v different. The baby is stiller which I've read can be a sign of issues. It's also breech which can correlate with issues. Neither of my other babies were ever breech. I cannot relax and believe in myself and this baby. I am considering asking for a late amnio to give me some certainty. Has anyone done this?

duende Sat 06-Apr-13 08:36:15

Hi, i haven't had an amnio but didn't want to read and run.
Your harmony test results are excellent, and this test is thought to give much more accurate results that the NHS combined tests and have better diagnostic value.
If you only had the harmony test and never had th NHS one, would you be considering an amnio?

Fwiw I'm pregnant with my second and she is much calmer than DS was, I esonall wouldn't think I was a sign of anything scary.

Sorry you are stressing out sad

Yaya70 Sat 06-Apr-13 21:09:29

I remember one poster a while back who had a late amnio -- Sparklies.

LittlePoot Sat 06-Apr-13 23:19:18

I guess one thing to ask yourself is what you would do with the information? If it came back showing chromosomes weren't as they should be-what then? On the one hand, a clear result would give you some relief (although you know it doesn't test for every eventuality so maybe you'd still worry). Its so hard (I've been close to there), and ultimately whatever decision you make will be right for you. So just weigh up what you would do with or without this information before birth, and then with or without a "condition"diagnosed at birth. And plump for whichever option feels right. Or less wrong. In the meantime, make sure you get plenty of monitoring if you're at all concerned about fetal movements-while you might not be feeling much simply due to positioning, it can be an important sign so get yourself checked as often as you think you feel/don't feel a difference. Good luck with everything-I really hope everything works out for you.

loismustdieatyahoodotcom Sun 07-Apr-13 06:59:00

I had one at 36 weeks, it was fine went to 39 weeks before labour.

Artichook Sun 07-Apr-13 08:17:33

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Obviously the result I'd hope for us the all clear and then I could relax, but its a good point that they don't test for everything so maybe I still wouldn't relax and oroperly look firward to the birth. If I got bad news at least I could prepare myself and my children. DH doesn't know I'm still worried so I think he would be very shocked if I asked for an amnio.

For some reason the breech thing has really worried me. It's rare for a third baby to be breech when others weren't and something like 9% of babies that are breech at term have physiological reason for this.

LittlePoot Sun 07-Apr-13 21:09:01

That's still 91% happening for no reason-but I know the odds don't necessarily help. Maybe you should start by sitting down with dh and telling him how you're feeling. He might be able to reassure you, or it might be that by talking through the possible scenarios, you feel reassured about how you guys would deal with things. If not, explore the possibility of amnio with him, then your midwife. x

DinoSnores Mon 15-Apr-13 12:43:15

We had a very high risk result with DD1 (11.4mm). I declined an amnio as I wouldn't have had a termination. Had she survived to term (she didn't sadly), we would have considered a late amnio to allow more planning about treatment (whether that was palliative care or active treatment) and to allow us to be able to announce her birth with, "We've had a baby and her name is X", rather than "We've had a baby and there's a problem."

narmada Mon 15-Apr-13 22:32:53

My cousin had a breech presentation with her DC three and all was fine, so it's not necessarily an indication of there being a problem. He was, however, big (!), much bigger than her two previous girls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: