How likely a bad NT scan is false positive?(15 Posts)
Had NT scan on Monday 13+1, nuchal measurement was 3.5mm and told my odds of baby having DS is 1:7. This is without the blood results which they say I should be getting tomorrow morning. The prenatal consultant made me an appointment for a CVS for tomorrow afternoon before I've even gotten my full results back - does this mean their finding is really alarmingly hence the urgency?
I've had 2 healthy babies, 30 yr old so was really not expecting such odds. how accurate is the scan and has anyone else had high nuchal measurement but gone on to be told they're "low risk" therefore no need for CVS/amnio?
Any advice much appreciated. So nervous I can't sleep.
Didn't want your post to go unanswered, though am not an expert in this area. But just to say that if you want to talk to somebody separate from the hospital, then I found www.arc-uk.org/ really wonderful when we had a scare during my last pregnancy. They have a wonderful helpline, and the lady was really knowledgeable and calm as I sobbed down the phone (0845 077 2290 or 0207 713 7486 from a mobile), and talked me through all our options. Can't recommend them highly enough. Big hug for you though.
Thank you for your kind words ilovevenice, the wait by the phone is agonising.
I had a 1:75 risk from 12w screening bloods. I had an amnio at 16w.
The waiting is the worst part, I understand how you feel and wanted to offer a hand to hold.
I've been here, my DDs nuchal was 6.3mm and had 1:2 risk of downs. CVS came back clear, nuchal gradually shrunk throughout the pregnancy. She's 2 yrs now and absolutely fine. I know it's terrifying
ARC were great to talk to.
Thinking of you and hope everything goes ok x.
My combined bloods and nuchal for my first pregnancy have me a risk of 1 in 3 (nuchal was actually ok at 2.1mm) and my baby did have DS. This was confirmed via CVS.
I had a very good risk score of approx 1 in 2200 in my second pregnancy and then 1 in 68 in my current pregnancy (I refused CVS and Amnio due to misscarriage risk and had a private Harmony test performed which came back with good results).
Basically, for me it has always been the bloods not the nuchal measurement that has given me a high risk, there is every chance that your bloods may reduce your risk significantly.
I ended up having a CVS the first time around as I was rushed into it by the medical professionals (next day like you) and I hadn't fully informed myself as to other available options. I had a cery different approach in my current pregnancy and was fully up to speed eith options and risk stars before making a decision to avoid invasive testing. Take time to consider your options and maybe have a look at the Harmony testing thread on here.
Good luck with this mornings results and whatever you decide to do next.
I was recently given a 1 in 40 risk after the combined test. I was offered a CVS on the same day I was booked in to talk my results through with the mid-wife. I decided to go away & do a bit more research. As a result i found out about two other non-invasive options. One was a more detailed combined test where they assess other soft markers (e.g. presence of the nasal bone) and the other is the Harmony Test. Neither are a 100 percent but they give you a lot more info and the Harmony Test is over 99 percent. I paid £180 for the more detailed scan at the Fetal Medicine Centre in London. They were fantastic and are very well regarded. My risk has now been reassessed at 1 in 9072! It's such a personal decision to decide what do. Whatever option you go for I wish you all the best.
I'm sorry you've had such a worrying result. WE had a1:4 in my first pregnancy (which didn't end well) so I do remember how you must be feeling. As they probably explained to you, 1:7 really does mean that out of 7 women who get the same result as you, 1 will have a baby with ds and 6 will be clear. So the odds are still very much in your favour even though they sound so high.
Mine was 4.6 and 1 in 3. Was a false screen positive or whatever they call it for me as amino came back clear and my boy is nearly 2 now.
Mine was 3.9. Had 1:12 chance. Amnio all clear. Good luck. It's such an emotionally difficult time xx
My initial risk was high 1:36, and they also wanted to rush me through to have cvs the next day. I wasn't prepared to take the risk of Cvs and. I didn't agree with dating of the pregnancy so asked if I could have it repeated a week later, when I would be coming up 12 weeks,, the hospital refused. I then paid to have it repeated a week later and got very different odds. Although it was still tough going through the rest of the pregnancy with the uncertainty that this brought, for me it was a better choice. It's a really difficult time though , so I hope you have lots of support
Hi all, just back from NHS nucal scan. It was 4.2. Sodabread like you they wanted to rush me straight into CVS, based only on the nucal measurement - even though I am waiting on the results of a harmony test. I am going to the Foetal Medicine Centre on Wednesday to have the scan repeated - will make decision on diagnostic then. To make things even trickier, going on holiday next wednesday with my partner, my sister, three nieces (one coming up from plymouth) - and last week my parents even invited themselves along. Won't that be nice?
Really comforted by the examples of high nucals, but good outcome
Hi Mytwopennies am going through simialr thing - had NT on Sat & although bloods & fold fine I have 2 soft markers making risk 1:30 - having CVS tmrw......feel crap!
Hey blueberry, I hope it all went OK today. How was the procedure? I may be heading that way myself tomorrow. It all feels just so unreal right now - I feel so still and the rest of the world is just streaming past me.
How long do you have to wait for results? Not going to be a fun few days I am thinking. And fecking bank holiday in the middle of it Grrrrrr.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.