Advanced search

Would you get cvs / amnio with odds of 1 in 163?

(16 Posts)
roobydoo2 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:25:21

just got the letter with my odds, states is low risk but seems quite high to me. my details were
age 38
nt 1.4mm at 11 weeks 4 days
hcg 1.66
pappa 0.48

MolotovCocktail Tue 26-Mar-13 21:27:46

Odds of 1 in 163 is less than 1% - it's something like 0.75%, unless my sums are wrong?

3littlewomen Tue 26-Mar-13 21:33:45

No, I would not get an amino with those stats. Risk of miscarriage after amino or cvs is often quoted as 1% (though I understand you can ask individual doc for their own stats which is far more relevant). This means you will be significantly more likely to miscarriage due to test procedure then the child have Downs etc.

roobydoo2 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:35:14

I think its because with my first pregnancy a couple of yrs ago it was in the thousands, I'm probably over worrying. ..but just not sure what to di to put my mind at rest

VilootShesCute Tue 26-Mar-13 21:35:53

I personally would. I considered when I got my letter through, and that was 1 in 25,000. Although I have previously had a child with a chromosomal abnormality, so know how hard it hits. Hope you find your decision making as stressless as possible.

roobydoo2 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:37:12

thanks for your repliessmile , I will try focus on 0.75% which is tiny really

Panzee Tue 26-Mar-13 21:37:55

I had an amnio at 1:140.
Ask yourself: what would you do if the results were not good? That might help you decide.

roobydoo2 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:01:13

If the letter states low risk and so they do not mention any further tests, can you still get amnio or cvs on the NHS?

AnisotropicWeetabixFTW Tue 26-Mar-13 22:05:09

I was low risk at 1/156 in my second pregnancy. It was a wee bit of a shock as it was in the thousands first time round. But cvs/amnio wasn't offered and didn't occur to me tbh. It's still a v v tiny chance.

PacificDogwood Tue 26-Mar-13 22:10:38

As far as I know you can certainly ask for a diagnostic test.

The numbers are not as important as how big a risk YOU are prepared to take.

1:163 risk of something happening also means 162:163 chance of it not happening, but these are all just risks, not diagnoses. You can have a high risk and a health baby, or a low risk and a baby with one of the conditions screened for.

Amnio/CVS are best of single gene problems and a normal result does not equal a health child necessarily.

I think Panzee's suggestion to ask yourself what you would do with a untoward result is a good approach.

I had a CVS x3 and amnio x1 for 1:4 risk of Patau's. I had no problems with any tests (one CVS had to be repeated) and was certain in my own mind that I would not want to carry a pregnancy with a fetus affected by Patau's to term. What I was dreading more, was to be be told I was expecting a baby with Down's which would have forced me to make a much more difficult decision sad. Thankfully I did not have to.
It is perfectly reasonable to consider a diagnostic test 'just to know', accepting that not everything can be tested for.

newbie6 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:31:47

Everyone is different, personally I wouldn't but it depends on how you feel. I had a 1 in 7 risk so opted for a cvs, thankfully all came back okay but I think numbers are numbers and you need to think about what you would do if you did have a test and you didn't get the result you wanted. It is a very hard thing to deal with and I wouldn't wish that wait on your results on anyone but I do think it is an extremely personal decision. Thee odds are all in your favour and whatever you decide, I hope you have a healthy pregnancy x

BadRoly Tue 26-Mar-13 22:37:53

I'm another who did. Partly because all of the team I saw were very surprised at the relative low risk given the nuchal scan measurement.

It is all about the numbers but when we were deciding, my Dad simply asked if we could deal with another 26 weeks of not knowing. That combined with it being dc4 and our perceived implications for the other dc if there was a problem.

BadRoly Tue 26-Mar-13 22:41:10

And to echo PacificDogwood, our CVS results came back fine but dc4 has a congenital heart defect which is what caused the nuchal measurement that was diagnosed at a 20week cardiac scan.

Michellephant Tue 23-Apr-13 15:55:26

My friend was 22 and got 1 in 330 and insisted on an amnio and her baby had DS. I didn't have screening so I didn't get given odds (I was 23 at the time) and didn't find out that anything was wrong until the 20 week anomaly scan when a heart defect was flagged up and was strongly associated with DS. I then had the amnio and found out I had DS.

I personally would have the test with odds like that. If you are going to worry for the rest of your pregnancy, which would be understandable, then it might be better for your health and sanity to just test.

Michellephant Tue 23-Apr-13 15:56:09

My baby had DS, not me. Silly error!

newmama88 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:23:18

Agree with people's suggestions re: would the outcome change depending on the results?

I had a CVS done yesterday as I was given a 1:55 chance of DS.. the procedure was a tad uncomfortable but the whole time I was lying there I kept thinking re: risk of miscarriage. Even today I can't stop thinking if the baby is ok or not.

If you really want a piece of mind then I guess do it. As an alternative there is a blood test thing that you can take called Harmony. It is not being offered by NHS at the moment but you can get it done privately (at a cost). It is less intrusive and the risk of miscarriage is low compared to CVS/Amnio.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: