Advanced search

Help or advice following nuchal test please (45 year old)

(32 Posts)
sheisold Sat 12-Jan-13 20:32:52

Hello i am an older mum and following my nuchal today i am left confused and unsure

everything looked ok and i was beginning to relax until they actually discussed the results with me.

They classed me as an 'intermediate' risk and have advised me to go back in two weeks for more bloods.. I cant seem to find what the blood markers SHOULD be on line and would be grateful if someone could steer me that way

I suggested asking NHS for nuchal and comparing and she said 'you will just screen positive with them.

My nuchal fold was good and none of the bloods looked awry and although the sonographer was overal v positive she said they 'could have been better'

i suggested CVS and she implied it would be madness.

in a spin

sheisold Thu 17-Jan-13 20:49:24

Cvs 1%
Amnio 0.5%

Sorry should preview

PacificDogwood Thu 17-Jan-13 21:01:01

sheisold, personally with your results I would probably not have an invasive test, however that is truly irrelevant <helpful>

I had 3x CVS and 1x amnio as I have genetic risk for certain trisomies of 1:4, have had recurring MCs and was 44 by the time DS4 came along grin - I had no problems with any of the procedures, but found CVS much more uncomfortable. I do understand the need for more certainty when you have existing children to consider.

Re the mathematical odds: a risk of 1:250 is also a chance of 249:250 of something NOT happening IYKWIM. It was looking at things that way that 'allowed' me to even consider trying for a family (and I do know that we are extremely lucky to have had 4 health DCs).

Surely, the sonographer is not the person to really counsel you about your risks?? Could you not see a consultant obstetrician or somebody who is not just trained in doing scans, but in interpreting ALL results together?

V best of luck with your pregnancy.

sheisold Thu 17-Jan-13 21:45:13

thank you so much pacific... I am usually very anti testing and tbh i am not so worried about t21 but other unknown problems flagged by my dicky bloods

thanks for info on cvs vs amnio - i feel odd being in this position tbh - never thought i would but hey ho

crikeybadger Thu 17-Jan-13 22:10:12

Thanks sheisold, yes, it's a big weight off my mind, obviously there is still a risk of miscarriage, but I'm keeping everything crossed.

I agree with pacific about speaking to somebody else. When my results came back as high risk, I went to the hospital the following day and spoke to the screening coordinator who went through the results and chatted about the options.

lotsofcheese Fri 18-Jan-13 21:13:23

Amnio's can be done from 15 weeks; I was advised that the risk of m/c from the procedure was 1 in 500.

I had an amnio after speaking to foetal medicine & talking through my results with them. I was concerned as I had a low Papp-A as well & it's my (lay) understanding that this can be associated with chromosomal abnormalities.

So despite my risk score being low for my age (1: 357) at nearly 41, I chose to have an amnio. I agonised about it as have had 2 m/c - but it was absolutely the right thing to do for me. The actual procedure was fine, the worst part was my fears before & making the decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

blondecat Mon 21-Jan-13 17:56:40

sheisold A lower PAPP A score can, as you know I am sure, mean there are problems with the placenta.
There is a good summary here
As far as I understand there is little you can do about some placenta problems UNLESS it is clotting related. Any chance you can get them to look at your clotting?

blondecat Mon 21-Jan-13 18:00:12


I should have written that in the absence of chromosomal abnormalities a low PAPP A score indicated placental problems. So if your NT is low that's a good thing to look into

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now