Worth considering private NT scan if NHS scan scheduled for 13w2?(6 Posts)
That's my question, really.
Was away for a month in my first trimester and having mc my first two pregnancies at about 6 weeks, didn't know how booking in worked and that I should have called the midwife around 8 weeks.
Now have my first MW appt at 11w5 and my first trimester scan booked for 13w2. I've already had an early scan so dates are secure.
My concern is that I'm starting too late to have time to book / get results from CVS if needed, consider all options carefully, and then still have a choice about management of a termination if that's what we chose.
Realise it may never come to any of this and apologise if my 'what if' questions are insensitive on a board where so many women are dealing with these horrible choices. My previous mcs have made me a bit fatalistic about pregnancy, so have an urge to prepare for the 'best' of bad outcomes if possible.
Would appreciate any input on whether it's worth considering a private scan around 12w. Would NHS CVS be available if results were worrying? And what are the limits on different types of termination? Thanks.
hi there - can you only say that i had a private scan (at the portland) just before 12 weeks complete (11+6). had a mmc before in 2009 and had the most awful experience at the "12 week" scan at well after 13 weeks (late date was an nhs thing, not my fault). the private scan was excellent, a completely different experience. yes, it did cost money (can't remember how much) but it was excellent. highly qualified people and had the result of the blood tests within 2 h (!!!!) of leaving the portland hospital. they also do a private cvs if needed. i did not go for that as my results were quite clear but their mc rate for a cvs are much lower than average.
wishing you all the very best for your pregnancy.
Thanks for responding chislemum.
I have my first meeting with a MW next Mon at 11w5, so guess I will ask her about timescales and cutoffs for various types of procedure and go from there. My real worry is that I'll get a high risk result too late for CVS, have to wait till 15 weeks for amnio, and be faced with a late termination which can't be done surgically.
But I don't know enough about the timescales/cutoffs or how private and public services interface to make a sensible decision without more info. And a big part of me worries I'm unnecessarily worried about bad outcomes because of previous miscarriages and anxiety about this pregnancy.
Don't have anything to add about private scans but just to say I was 14+1 weeks when I had my CVS so I think there is probably a bit of movement from the stated cut offs.
Hope all goes well for you xx
Can you call and ask to rearrange your scan date (and even your midwife booking date?)? I had exactly the same and they've managed to find me an appointment when I'm 12+5 which is only a few days difference but feels a world better!
Oh sorry - just realised this is a very old thread!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.