Advanced search

8 week midwife meeting delayed until 16 weeks

(7 Posts)
PandaDad2013 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:30:43

Hi all,

First time poster, and first time father-to-be smile

My partner is currently c. 9 weeks pregnant with our first child. We had her booked in for her first midwife appointment in early December, and her first scan 10 days later when she would be about 12-13 weeks. Unfortunately due to a death in the family, we had to cancel the first appointment so we can attend the funeral.

The hospital now tell us we won't be able to get another appointment until sometime in January (they can't tell us when yet, as apparently they don't receive 2013 calendars until the end of December?!). This means that whilst we should have had the first scan on time, she won't actually meet her midwife until she's about 4 months gone!

Tried asking the GP if we could have the blood test, weight check etc done there, but apparently not.

Is this a big problem to be so behind in meeting with the midwife? If so, can anyone recommend a work-around?

Our PCT offered us a choice of two hospitals, and we really preferred the one we have chosen. The only advice we have had so far is from the receptionist at the GP who told us if we had concerns to change hospital!

mrskeithrichards Tue 27-Nov-12 16:45:39

Has she been given a number for VH1 midwife team? Phone them.

PandaDad2013 Tue 27-Nov-12 16:52:00


unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 27-Nov-12 17:07:19

Hi pandadad, this is not ok. NICE guidelines say that women should be booked before 10 weeks. By not booking her until 16 weeks they are missing out on loads of important early screening, particularly decent down's syndrome screening, an accurate dating scan and blood tests that can identify problems early enough for them to be treated or managed. She needs to be booked for midwife or consultant led care and in some cases early consultant appointments are needed (eg if there are existing medical conditions) at about 16 weeks.

I suggest that you ring the hospital at which you are booking and make a fuss. they'll squeeze you in somewhere.

PandaDad2013 Wed 28-Nov-12 16:52:24

Thanks smile

I've managed to get in touch with the Matron, and she gave the impression that she didn't think it was ok either! Hopefully she'll be able to sort it, as the alternative is moving hospitals, and we're really keen on the one we've picked.

PandaDad2013 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:49:11

Matron to the rescue, and we're back on schedule. Thanks for the advice guys!

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Tue 04-Dec-12 10:15:04

good news, hope it goes smoothly from here on in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now