Advanced search

Ok so it's time to start thinking.....

(18 Posts)
Adviceinscotland Thu 27-Sep-12 14:52:14

Had a termination at 15 weeks last year as baby had downs. Heartbreaking for all concerned (dc4)

Am now unexpectantly but happily pg again, am 13+2 and have my scan next week (14+1)

Originally I was 100% having the amnio, I had a cvs last time but really did not like it and no way was doing it again.

I have been in limbo for so long about this, found out at 3+6 that I was pg and only dh and parents know. I have been suffering with terrible morning sickness and needing to start hiding a bump now but all this seems easy compared to having the scan next week.

Just spoke to the lovely midwife advisor at the hospital and she says I will still be able to have the nuctual fold test. Originally I thought I would miss out with my scan being a bit later, but now I might have it perhaps the amnio won't be needed.

What would everyone else do? What is considered high/low risk? 1/300? 1/1500?

No idea how to deal with this best.

stowsettler Fri 28-Sep-12 12:41:57

Well definitely have the nuchal translucency test. Do they offer the quad blood test where you are? I had this and got a 1:3005 chance so went no further (NT tests not on NHS around here). I believe that below 1:150 is considered high risk.
Good luck!

Panzee Fri 28-Sep-12 12:47:20

I had the nuchal/bloods combined and came back at 1:140, which was considered increased risk. My hospital calls back at 1:200.

I had the amnio which thankfully was all clear.

hmo2b Fri 28-Sep-12 20:46:09

This is definitely a decision that only you and your partner can make. My 14 week scan, nuchal measurement and blood tests put me at increased risk last year so we had an amnio. The worst part was the time between being told I was high risk and actually having the test. The test itself was not at all traumatic. I was uncomfortable for maybe 24 hours but then fine. But it is such a personal decision, as with all decisions relating to pregnancy, birth and children. Good luck with whatever you decide.

hmo2b Fri 28-Sep-12 20:48:44

I should add that I would have an amnio in any future pregnancies too. The waiting is definitely the hardest part.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 20:56:32

Think my advice to anyone considering having tests is to think about what you would do if you get a bad result, so if you go for the nuchal and it is high risk, what do you think you would do?

I've had 2 mmc, so know only too well what you are going through.

Panzee Fri 28-Sep-12 21:08:45

My consultant said to me that I did not have to have the amnio, but if I was the sort of person who would worry for the rest of the pregnancy then it might be better to know one way or the other. I had no idea what I would do, I changed my mind daily. But he was right - I would have worried the whole time.

shakemyhead Fri 28-Sep-12 22:27:59

We've had a similar experience. Lost a baby girl to Ds last year. Risk discovered at 12 week scan.
This pregnancy didn't want to go straight for cvs - odds from screening came back at 1 in 20810. That included medical history and age (background risk was 1 in 120ish).
Screening results made us not persure further testing. We had in our mind less than 1 in 250 we would have to seriously consider invasive. Good luck x

Adviceinscotland Sat 29-Sep-12 12:23:13

I'm changing my mind all the time about what to do, my biggest fear is everything looking good at the 12 (14 for me) week scan and getting a low risk result then skipping the amnio and finding out at the 20 week scan that something looks wrong

Not sure I can hide things till gone 20 weeks as I'm already starting to show so I just feel if I get the amnio I will know for sure everything is ok and can relax and start telling people.

It's so tough, my eldest two were so upset last year and I want to spare them going through anything like that again

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 29-Sep-12 17:13:20

If you got a similar result and would terminate again, I would seriously consider the Amino. Like you say, you don't want to have to wait until 20 weeks.

I ended up paying privately for a nuchal in the last pg. They aren't offered locally and really wanted to know that this one was ok and thankfully she was. Hope you get a good result too whatever you decide.

Adviceinscotland Sat 29-Sep-12 19:17:12

Thing is I'm not sure I would terminate again.

Last time they said there was a strong possibility of other abnormalities and everything felt so scary and rushed, think I would be stronger this time but I would need to know what I was dealing with

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 29-Sep-12 20:00:05

It's so hard isn't it. There's not much else I can say really as its upto you and your DH.

manitz Sun 30-Sep-12 20:59:54

hi, i have had two terminations. the first for a heart problem and second for downs so several issues concerned me. both are indicated by nuchal fold so I started with the nuchal translucency and went with it step by step. I think my odds were 1 in 700ish. For me that was inconclusive and I was tempted by an invasive test but instead I had a detailed scan from my consultant at 16 weeks to look for soft markers. This reassured me pretty well and I had a relatively stress free pregnancy given the circumstances. Like you I wasn't entirely sure what I would do but I couldn't deliberately continue a pregnancy with a child I knew would face extreme obstacles, the illnesses associated with downs syndrome meant I terminated my previous pregnancy - fetus also had hydrops. I figured ill formed organs would definitely be picked up which were my primary concern. Hope that helps and good luck. x

Adviceinscotland Sun 30-Sep-12 22:35:13

That helps very much, thank you!

I wonder if they would do a detailed scan for me around 16 weeks, something else to ask about this week!

manitz Mon 01-Oct-12 12:02:03

I think it helps to be persistant and calm. I knew it was a possibility because they offered it before giving me cvs last time. If you have tried all else crying and looking like you might fall apart but are struggling to keep it going may work if they are the right type of person. Shouldn't be too hard. Good luck x

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Oct-12 21:07:23

They should offer you a detailed scan. My first was for cystic hygroma and was told that pg wouldn't go further than 24 weeks. In subsequent pgs I think they offered every scan going.

EdMcDunnough Mon 01-Oct-12 21:12:26

It depends on what they say at the scan regarding measurements, whether they will be able to do the NF measurement or not.

Mine was booked for 13 weeks but when I got there she said the baby was far too big to do it - and the machine calculated it as 14+3. So you are quite close to the limit iyswim - there is a sustem that adds it all up and throws a number out at you, and if you're a few days further than you think, it won't do it.

I didn't get a measurement but they did a quad test - a blood test that helps them calculate your risk. Mine came back at 1/350. They told me 1/200 (or was it 150?) is considered higher risk. I wasn't offered any testing.

Good luck, I hope you can have the NF as well as the blood test as I have heard that it's more accurate.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Oct-12 21:14:32

I've always had a blood test with the nuchal but did pay, as mentioned earlier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: