Talk

Advanced search

GBS/Strep B, symptoms to look for, private testing and birth plans

(5 Posts)
Oeisha Sun 16-Oct-11 19:32:57

I'm looking into getting a private test for strep b. DC1 due in Jan.
I have no reason to believe I currently have strep b, it just seems sensible. I'm guessing there's no point in testing too early for it, so was planning on getting the kit soon, but testing about 37wks (currently 26).
I have a few questions if anyone out there's had tests etc...

1) Where did you go for your kit?
2) What was involved with the kit? (what actually needed doing? was it easy to use? will DH need to be involved? etc)
3) Did anyone show any symptoms during pg?
4) I'd like to have a water birth - is this still possible?
5) Is there anything you feel I should know?

Also posting this on ante-natal testing, but wanted as many opinions as possible.

Thank you!

DrMunkenstein Sun 16-Oct-11 23:18:16

Hi there

I got a kit online, I went to the group B strep website where all the advice and FAQs are here

You just need to do two swabs, a vaginal and a rectal. Not easy with a huge bump but fairly straightforward. Ask your MW you may be able to pay for her to do them for you?

The results were texted and posted, which is a good job as I tested at 37 weeks and the postal results arrived a week later...my DD was early and Arrived before they did! They were negative but I knew from the text a good three days before I went into labour.

If the result comes back positive just make sure you put it on your birth plan and that all the people involved in your care know.

Oeisha Mon 17-Oct-11 19:11:55

Thank you. Useful info. smile

DrMunkenstein Wed 19-Oct-11 11:57:57

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the birth!

Glad the info helped, found it a very useful and reassuring website.

Oeisha Wed 19-Oct-11 22:07:52

Thank you again! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now