Advanced search

I am 35, does this automatically make me high risk for DS?

(12 Posts)
YaMaYaMa Wed 05-Oct-11 20:37:33

Hi, I had blood tests and a scan last Friday at 12 weeks and came home from work today to find an appointment letter for me to go to fetal medicine unit tomorrow afternoon due to 'increased risk of Downs Syndrome'.

I'm 35 and not sure if my age automatically means I'm classed as having an increased risk? Does everyone aged 35 and over get invited in? Or does it mean the blood tests, plus my age, have indicated that there could be a problem?

PhasesRUs Wed 05-Oct-11 20:48:06

At 35+ you certainly will be classed as higher risk automatically, and so you are likely to be 'advised' to have a nuchal translucency scan, with or without bloods. But I would have thought you'd have discussed that with a midwife before now?

Did you have a nuchal translucency measurement taken at your last scan? If you did, then they may well be calling you back as a result of that measurement because you have a higher risk. But someone should have pointed out to you that of those who come out of the nuchal test with a heightened risk, most are still not carrying affected babies.

My sister in law had a tremendously high risk after her nuchal (she was 37 at the time) so she decided to go for amnio, and all was completely normal.

Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). Hopefully it will be all sorted out tomorrow afternoon. Or perhaps try to talk to someone in the morning. It's a shame that medics are so hopeless at dealing with such sensitive issues.

YaMaYaMa Wed 05-Oct-11 21:06:42

Hi, thanks for replying. I had the nuchal scan on Friday and asked if it looked ok and was told it looked alright but they wouldnt be able to tell me until they had the blood test results. The letter I got today said that the blood tests indicated an increased risk of DS. I suppose that means that there is an increased risk on top of the increased risk of my age, iyswim.

PhasesRUs Wed 05-Oct-11 21:20:59

Yes, it sounds as though you are in the group for whom the nuchal doesn't give you the peace of mind you need. But do remember that you can be high risk (or, like my SIL, VERY high risk) after the nuchal + blood, but have a completely lovely (and she is a very lovely 10 year old now) and totally normal baby. I had my three babies at 37, 39 and 43 and was high risk on all of them. In fact with my last pregnancy, even tho the nuchal measurement was the smallest it could be, and the blood tests were all good, I was still considered to be very high risk because of my age. But my little one is now 3 and absolutely gorgeous.

See what they say tomorrow and very good luck.

YaMaYaMa Wed 05-Oct-11 21:44:14

Thanks Phases, I really appreciate it x

Wurg Wed 05-Oct-11 21:57:41

Did they give you a risk factor expressed as a ratio in the letter? In my area they class anything more than 1:150 as high risk (based on NF and bloods and age)

YaMaYaMa Wed 05-Oct-11 23:06:27

Hi Wurg, no the letter didn't give any info about the risk at all. I also got another letter today making me an appointment for another scan on 24 november. I already have my app for 20 week scan so not sure if this is a rescheduling of that or a something etoday

YaMaYaMa Wed 05-Oct-11 23:07:46

'something else' that should say.

clouds21 Thu 06-Oct-11 15:25:16

Hello everyone,
My first proper post! YaMaYaMa, I can feel for you, just going through the same thing...
I'm nearly thirteen weeks and would love some local advice on dealing with Princess Alexandra hospital in Harlow and a potential amniocentesis. Has anyone had any experience? To be honest, the past two weeks have been a bit chaotic, the NHS just don't communicate with one another (or me...), am feeling let down by the system. Had my scan on Tuesday and the practitioner didn't fill me with confidence..., so having an amnio there now terrifies me! I'm 42 and it seems (on a positive note) age wass the only reason for recommending an amnio or CVS. The nuchal scan was fine and so were the blood test. Result: I'm at risk 1:59. Age will always count massively against you it seems.
Anyone able to recommend a specific person at Princess Alexandra who is experienced in the field of amniocentesis? This is my first ever post, so apologies if this is not the right forum but the local knowledge forum seems to be a bit inactive, so I'm trying my luck. Hope you're all doing well! cx

YaMaYaMa Thu 06-Oct-11 18:41:14

Well, they said my risk is 1 in 85. Lot going through my mind but not much i can make sense of. I feel quite calm and positive but that could just be that it hasn't sunk in.

Clouds, if i were you i would start a new thread with a title specifically mentioning your area and hosp and hopefully someone who knows will see it. If not, start a more general thread if perhaps someone could give you general advice. Good luck x

clouds21 Fri 07-Oct-11 12:13:15

Hi YaMaYaMa, Thanks for getting back to me with your advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes well for you, it's the waiting that causes the most anguish as your mind plays tricks on you. Hope you can keep your calm. May sound silly but try starting the day with 5 deep breaths in and 5 deep breaths out and a pint of water, it is very calming just concentrating on your breathing.
Keep well, cx

Gooseysgirl Fri 07-Oct-11 21:56:13

Hi Clouds...I'm afraid I don't really have any advice for you but with regard to PAH that's also where I'm going to have my baby (am 35, and 19+5). I'm out of their catchment area but asked to be referred there as my other options were Queens Romford (maternity unit currently being sued by 12 families well documented in the news) or Whipps Cross where my landlady has just retired early as an MW due to being overworked which didn't fill me with confidence! I did my research beforehand, asked around etc and everyone said PAH was the best option in the area. So far my experience has been positive... was pleased with sonographer at 12 week scan who gave detailed feedback on the scan, and was also referred by the hospital MW I saw at booking appt to see a consultant directly after my 20 week scan next week due to previous loop excision and colposcopy on cervix. Don't know what consultant I'm seeing on Tues but will post here again if I can find the thread to let you know what I think of the consultant. My risk for DS was 1/2373, got the letter a couple of weeks after the scan and bloods. If you have heard within a couple of days at least they are on the ball about keeping you informed so you can make a decision about further testing... maybe ring up and ask for a consultant/MW appt to discuss the results further?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: