Talk

Advanced search

Is there any point to the dating scan except to get a stick --date-- to beat you with in the final weeks?

(16 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 15:42:34

Just wondering really.

Haven't had the best antenatal care for my previous two and am thinking of doing minimum.

Certainly don't want to go with any dates other than the one that I have as the last two pregnancies gave scan dates that were 5 days out and one would have put conception when my DH was abroad.

Many tia.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 15:57:01

anyone? I suppose eptopic pregnancy is one reason, but I also suspect that you'd know by then.

ghislaine Tue 27-Sep-11 15:57:01

Do you mean the 12 week scan? If so, this scan is not only to date the pregnancy but also to

* check whether it is a singleton or multiple pregnancy
* check that the pregnancy is viable
* screen for chromosomal (and sometimes other) abnormalities.

I have also had dating scans at 6 and 8 weeks and they have checked for the first two issues but not the last as this really can't be done before 11 weeks.

I guess our experiences differ but dating the pregnancy would be the lowest of my priorities.

bigbadbarry Tue 27-Sep-11 15:58:58

I declined a 12-week scan with DDs 2 and 3 after going 18 days "overdue" with DD1 (I didn't have one with her either, because they weren't standard then). I didn't want the nuchal fold measured, which is another reason you might have it.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 15:59:39

Thank you ghis The two first ones would come out in the wash anyway wouldn't they?

And the last one, I'm pretty certain my PCT don't do until 20 weeks unless you are talking about the nuchal fold screening, which they don't do at all.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 16:03:03

Thank you bigbad, that is helpful to know. I want to avoid the experience I had with both my last pregnancies where I was treated appallingly.

I hope to avoid the whole booking in thing entirely if I can. But I do want to be informed rather than just awkward. I know an awful lot about childbirth but only enough about pregnancy to know that the journey towards childbirth can be significant.

ghislaine Tue 27-Sep-11 16:06:19

I suppose so, but perhaps there might be other issues with a multiple pregnancy that could warrant extra care and so it might be better to find out in advance?

Shocking that not all PCTs offer screening for abnormalities at 12 weeks as having had a termination at 14 weeks for abnormalities, the prospect of facing a later one is unfathomable. You could have that screening privately if you wanted or the less reliable blood tests at 16 weeks if they're offered?

bigbadbarry Tue 27-Sep-11 16:10:21

Have you thought about an independent midwife? I got one for #3 after not being treated appallingly for #2, not by any means, but just not feeling that happy about it. Worth every penny.

CMOTdibbler Tue 27-Sep-11 16:16:20

I found out at a routine 12 week scan that my baby had died some weeks before, but the placenta etc had kept on growing. Apparently, it could have not become apparent for weeks more, so I could have been 18 weeks before I knew it had gone wrong.

You could choose to have a private nuchal scan which would tell you things you want to know, but without affecting your nhs care

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 16:17:24

Thanks bigbad. We couldn't afford it I'm afraid. I don't mean that we aren't prepared to make sacrafices, I mean that we really can't due to other outgoings that I am unable to do anything about for the time being.

I would LOVe an IM though.

Having said that, I was happy with the birth of my second and the way I was treated. The midwife did laugh at my birth plan and ask me has anyone read it, to which I replied, no, no mw that I have ever come across could make the time.

She said it was highly unusual (it wouldn't have been for an IM though) but it was followed to the letter and said she really enjoyed the birth hmm doing something different. hmm really a physiological 3rd stage should really not be considered as such, nor keeping her hands off me at all times without express permission.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 16:19:08

Thank you CMOT but sorry to hear what happened to you. That must have been hard.

I think though, that I feel strongly enough for that to be the lesser of my worries however. Not belittling it by any means however.

glimmer Tue 27-Sep-11 16:51:23

I second CMOT. About 1/4 of all mc are 'missed', ie you don't have any bleeding and the placenta continues to grow albeit at a slower rate. I was shocked to learn at 12 weeks that I had mc many weeks before. But if that's something you are aware and willing to take (I didn't realize so it was a huge shock), I don't see the need for one.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 27-Sep-11 17:19:17

Thank you glimmer. I have had a missed mc and do know how horrible they are to experience so I will bear that in mind.

BarbarianMum Fri 30-Sep-11 20:51:31

It is not a common problem but the 12 week scan will also pick up a 'molar' pregnancy (when there is no baby growing, just the placenta). My friend had one of these and they can be very dangerous if not dealt with.

Anacephaly (sp?) can also be picked up at 12 weeks.

shalo2 Sat 01-Oct-11 22:50:55

A 12 week scan is very important to ensure the pregnancy is viable at the very least. Don't understand why anyone would forgo this particular scan. I would at least have 12 wj scan even if you didn't wish to have further scans although can not understand minimal ante natal care as it's important for the baby and yourself.

ImpYCelyn Sun 02-Oct-11 11:52:21

A friend recently had anencephaly picked up at 12 weeks, and DSIL had a MMC show up two weeks go.

My 12 week scan is in 10 days and I'm petrified. I couldn't bear the thought of finding out bad news any later than I have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now