Talk

Advanced search

1:20 chance of Downs HELP and Advise please.

(67 Posts)
plumblusher Sat 17-Sep-11 16:08:08

Please help,went for my 12 week dating scan and nuchal test last wednesday. I'm almost 14 weeks, midwife phoned me today (Saturday) to tell me I had a 1:20 chance of DS. She said I can have a CVC on Tuesday or wait til I'm 16 weeks and have an amnio. I'm so shocked and confused DH is at work and I feel I have no-one to talk to about this. She said the risk of miscarriage for the CVC is 1:100 and amnio is 1:150. I am 35 and although I have a healthy 5yr old DD I have had three previous MC's. What do I do? Any advice greatly received. I bled for two and a half weeks at 6wks and presumed I'd already lost it,but an early scan showed a heart beat. I definitely want to know but which procedure do I opt for? HELP HELP HELP.

DontTellAnyonebut Wed 21-Sep-11 07:54:20

I didnt have local anaesthetic as the harvest point is where you feel the scratching sensation (at the uterus). There is no point putting in a local to the uterus as you'd have to get the same trajectory after waiting for 5 minutes for it to numb.

So, in the two i've had. I laid still, closed my eyes and counted while the doctor talked through what he was doing and seeing. The second time he went in twice and i never felt either entry on my tummy. I got to 22 elephants the first CVS and 34 the second. It does not hurt but does feel strange.

The idea and anticipation is the worst. In regards to bleeding you may have a tiny bit of spotting a few hours later. I didn't have it either time.

plumblusher Thu 22-Sep-11 17:34:08

Well I've had my CVS, tears trickled out of my eyes when I lay on the table, not from pain, but worry and anxiety. It was a strange sensation, not exactly painful just discomfort. I closed my eyes through the whole thing until they told me it was over and showed me the baby's beating heart. Felt a bit painful after when walking to the car and by the time I got home, bit like I'd been kicked in the side with a football boot, so had a couple of paracetamol. Glad I didn't look cos DH said the needle was on the large side. I feel relieved I've had it done and feel I've made the right decision, now I just have to wait for the results, which we should have by Tuesday. That is going to be a long long wait and to be honest I fear the results.
Thank you all so much for taking the time to post on here for me, you have all been my support network when I've felt I've nowhere else to turn (didn't want to worry family and friends) so a huge thanks.

ghislaine Thu 22-Sep-11 18:07:43

Good to hear from you plumblusher. I was thinking of you at 10.20 this morning.

Endogirl Thu 22-Sep-11 18:38:27

Hi plumblusher. I haven't posted before but I have been following your thread and wishing good thoughts for you.

I'm so glad that it wasn't too bad in the end. It'll be a long weekend waiting for the results so make sure you've got lots to distract yourself with but I would advise resting up for a little bit. I found I was a bit uncomfy for a couple of days afterwards so I just watched cheesy movies and ate comfort food which sort of helped. The waiting part is definitely the worst bit.

I'm crossing my fingers that you get good news with the results on Tuesday.

xxxxx

DontTellAnyonebut Thu 22-Sep-11 19:33:51

So glad the first hurdle has been cleared. Crossing fingers for you. Time is relentless, you will have your results very soon.

jugglingwiththreeshoes Thu 22-Sep-11 19:56:00

Possibly a slightly alternative viewpoint but I would not have any further investigations because they are both slightly invasive and have a slight chance of miscarriage.
I had a nuchal scan with my first because it was offered and non-invasive and I felt it might give me some reassurance. I was lucky and was given low risk of DS. But the risk you've been given is still only 5%. Whereas the risk of miscarriage is 1% or 0.75% respectively (I think). To me this is too high a risk, especially given that you've suffered MC before sad
With my second pregnancy no nuchal scan was offered and so I had no tests other than my two scans.
Just because you've had the nuchal scan it doesn't mean you have to continue along the testing route if invasive tests carrying a small risk are not acceptable to you.
Also you need to consider how you would feel if child did have DS. To me that risk was one I was prepared to take ( as feel DS children can have a good life and be part of a loving family ) compared to the risk of losing the pregnancy.
But that's just my viewpoint.
Good luck with whatever decisions and tests you choose to have.
HTH ( not sure if it does ! )

jugglingwiththreeshoes Thu 22-Sep-11 20:01:33

Sorry, I should have read all thread before posting.
Try not to worry about the results, remember it's likely all will be well.

DontTellAnyonebut Fri 23-Sep-11 07:08:29

Jugglingwiththreeshoes your stats on losing a baby through miscarriage with CVS are outdated.

Hope you're doing OK today plumblusher

rhetorician Fri 23-Sep-11 12:56:21

yes, agree with don'ttell - you should be able to get specific stats for a given unit/consultant. Our consultant has a m/c rate of 1/300 - how it's calculated I'm not sure, as he said he had never experienced a woman having a mc as a result of cvs.

plumblusher just a quick hand-hold. The waiting is pure agony - I remember it well (we were you, back in june - 1:11 risk. All was well) - try and keep busy

plumblusher Sun 25-Sep-11 18:35:06

This waiting is horrendous, this feels like possibly the longest weekend ever. I'm glad I'm back at work tomorrow because at least I'll be busy and the day will hopefully fly by.
On the night of the CVS I was upstairs watching telly and felt a warm 'trickle' down below. I thought the worst and when I went to the loo expected to find blood. It wasn't blood but a watery fluid. When I told DH he immediately phoned Mw's and then our local NHS service. The doctor on the phone asked him if it was urine! I think I'd have known if I'd wet myself! He then said that it was probably a small amount of amniotic fluid that had seaped from the incision point that hadn't quite healed yet, as there was no bleeding and I wasn't in pain there was no need to worry.
I do and don't want Tuesday to be here I am so scared its ridiculous! Could really do with a stiff drink or something, but that is out of the question isn't it!

jugglingwiththreeshoes Sun 25-Sep-11 18:52:12

Re the stats that don'ttellanyone queried, I was merely using the info that plumblusher provided but attempting to put it into a percentage - I think I may have got the maths slightly wrong, so apologies if that is the case blush
As you say the procedures are always being improved and the risks lessened.
Sorry to hear you've been worried about both MC and the results plumblusher
I hope everything goes really well on Tuesday and you can stop worrying.

DontTellAnyonebut Sun 25-Sep-11 19:21:45

Plumblusher the w/e is nearly over and Tuesday will be here very soon. The 'trickle' sounds nerve wracking but try to stay calm. By the way, when i had my first NT scan the Dr asked how i was feeling and i said that quipped that i was regretting giving up smoking. She told me to go home and have a ciggie, it wasn't going to do anything, so i did. Then cried.

mrsbrooks Mon 26-Sep-11 15:00:20

Hey, I was given a 1:2 chance of DS with a 4.5 NT and results came back negative so there is hope for everyone. Cvs scan is vital to put your mind at ease but quite painful. And dont listen to drs cos they told me there was no hope for my bb. Hope u get good news soon x

mummytoh1 Mon 26-Sep-11 17:52:39

Hi plumblusher, hope you're doing ok. I know you're anxiously waiting for your results and I know from personal experience how awful that wait is.

We were given a 1:15 for our second son, mostly from one of the blood results but he's absolutely fine and now 5 months old. Wanted to wish you all the best for your results tomorrow.

plumblusher Mon 26-Sep-11 18:25:57

Well one more day to go, had a totally sleepless night last night so hoping tonight will be better. Tomorrow is nearly here. Once again thank you for all your posts and support. smile

DontTellAnyonebut Mon 26-Sep-11 18:29:55

<quick hand squeeze>

Endogirl Mon 26-Sep-11 21:00:40

Everything is crossed for you. I hope you manage to get a little sleep tonight. xxxxx

jugglingwiththreeshoes Mon 26-Sep-11 21:03:49

I always find, whatever the situation, after one sleepless night I always sleep better the next night - because I'm knackered! Hope the same is true for you x

Taffeta Mon 26-Sep-11 21:05:30

plum - thinking of you, have been there. The waiting is just the worst. All the very best for tomorrow.

x

mrsbigz Mon 26-Sep-11 21:13:45

just wanted to say i'll be thinking of you tomorrow xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mrsbigz Tue 27-Sep-11 14:10:25

hi hun - any news yet? hope today is not passing too slowly for you and you've things to distract you while waiting for the call xxx

DontTellAnyonebut Tue 27-Sep-11 17:36:36

Thinking of you today. x

plumblusher Tue 27-Sep-11 19:26:05

Well the wait is finally over thank goodness. I didn't have the courage to make the call so my DH did and then he rang me. The news is good, the results came back as normal and I feel a huge weight has been lifted. I'm so glad I had the CVS and feel I can finally enjoy this pregnancy and embrace my growing little bump instead of detaching myself mentally for fear of the worst.
Every single one of you have helped me through this and I simply can not thank you enough. You have been the family and friends I really needed over the last week or so. I send every single one of you a hug and a massive thank you.
A 1:20 chance seemed much easier to cope with when it was put as a 5% chance and that's thanks to you. Everything seemed to be put into pespective and became much easier to cope with.
Anyway the wait is over it is happy news today and we've celebrated with a take away. I shall sleep well tonight LOVE TO YOU ALL THANKS FOR BEING THERE FOR ME XXXXX thanks

ghislaine Tue 27-Sep-11 19:40:22

Wonderful news - so pleased for you!

FannyLogan Tue 27-Sep-11 20:07:39

I have been looking out for this. Congratulations! Fabulous news!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »