Talk

Advanced search

Questions about what cvs is like

(11 Posts)
bozemum Fri 16-Sep-11 11:30:31

I am booked for cvs on Monday. Am very scared about the procedure and possible outcome. But I have a few questions which I was hoping someone would be able to help with. I will be 13.5 weeks and was just thinking, the uterus is still pretty low. How much do I have to 'expose' myself during the test. And are they like to shave pubic hair? I haven't read this anywhere, but just occurred to me it might be necessary. And advice on this would be much appreciated to put my mind at rest.

littleducks Fri 16-Sep-11 11:34:13

I havent actually had a CVS but got to watch one as part of my work experience on a gynae ward (an amazing opportunity!). The lady obviously had her 'bump' on show but no lower than that.

You could watch the procedure on screen (not sure if I would if it was me) and it was very, very quick.

ghislaine Fri 16-Sep-11 11:46:37

Hi bozemum

I'm sorry to hear you've found yourself here. I have had cvs twice, and honestly, it is the least worrying part of the whole situation.

There are two ways you can have cvs - vaginally, through the cervix and abdominally. It depends on the location of the placental material which way they go, not whether you have a tilted uterus or anything like that. I don't know anyone who's had the former, but I would imagine that it's like a smear test and your lower half will be covered with a sheet. I doubt you would have to do anything with your pubes - it would be in the information sheet you should have been given if so. With abdominal cvs, it's as littleducks says. They might ask you to roll down your trousers to the pubic hairline, but no lower.

They will check the whole time (and before and afterwards) using ultrasound that the needle is nowhere near the baby. I found this too distressing to watch and had the screen turned away the first time and stared at the ceiling the second.

stripeywoollenhat Fri 16-Sep-11 11:47:45

i had a cvs at 13 weeks (maybe 12.6) earlier this year. no need to worry about your pubic hair: the needle goes into your lower belly, sort of mid way between your bellybutton and the top of your public bone, unless your placenta is positioned so that they need to do it trans-vaginally.

the procedure is not particularly comfortable but it's more pressure than pain; i think i whimpered my way through it, but it was a combination of anticipation and distress, rather than real pain: i could see the foetus bumbling around on the screen as well as the needle and so on, and it made me feel terrible. it only takes a couple of minutes, though it felt longer than that to me, and i felt a bit achey for the 24 hours afterwards.

i know this is a horrible process, i hope it all turns out alright for you. don't worry too much about the procedure, i found the additional not knowing what to expect added to the trauma of the experience: it feels odd and intrusive but it isn't going to hurt that much and it doesn't take long.

good luck.

bozemum Fri 16-Sep-11 11:54:51

Ok Thanks that doesn't sound too bad. Hoping It actually all goes ahead and they don't have difficulty getting sample or anything.

RockyRoads Sat 17-Sep-11 11:39:10

Boze, I had one about 6 weeks ago - my hopsital don't do the vaginal CVS so mine was abdominal.

It doesn't take long - all you do is pull your top up and trousers/skirt down as you would for a scan - you don't expose any more than that. They then wipe your stomach with antiseptic and give a local anaesthetic injection in your stomach (which was suprisingly pain free). I felt the pressure of the needle going in and a bit of a prick when it went through my uterus wall, but not pain, it's just a weird feeling. They jiggle around a bit when they're extracting cells but again I didn't feel pain, it was just a bit weird. I didn't even feel the needle come out.

They scan you the entire time. I didn't watch any of it - the scan or the needle. In fact, I asked them to let me know when they were unwrapping the needle so I could turn away so I didn't even see it to get worried about.

I would advise you to stay home for the rest of the day at least and just chill out on the sofa. I had a bit of cramping but nothing major. I found the stressful part the 24 hour wait for the initial results - if you can try and relax as much as possible I'm sure that will help you psychologically and with any after-effects.

Hope it goes well for you, it's a horrible time.

bozemum Sat 17-Sep-11 16:04:24

Thanks. 24 hour wait would be good. My hospital say 2-5 days. I'm hoping thats just a conservative estimate.

RockyRoads Tue 20-Sep-11 12:48:45

Bozemum - been thinking about you and hoping that the CVS wasn't too traumatic for you. How did it go - are you feeling ok?

bozemum Tue 20-Sep-11 13:10:43

Thanks for your thoughts. The cvs went ok, although I did find it quite sore when the anesthetic went in. Just got the difficult bit to go now- waiting for the results.

mrsbrooks Tue 20-Sep-11 15:38:32

I have a cvs this wk but reading your comments has helped me a bit. The worrying is worse tho and I hope everything works out ok for everyone smile

bozemum Wed 21-Sep-11 17:30:35

Hi, just wanted to post update to say I got phonecall this afternoon to say the initial results have come back normal. Such a big relief. Still got to wait for the full results, which should hopefully be fine too. Thanks for everyone's advice. And good luck to all those still waiting for tests and results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now