Talk

Advanced search

Good outcome following terrible nuchal blood results - reassurance for others

(10 Posts)
monkey32 Fri 12-Nov-10 19:04:33

I just had to post my experiences this week after what have definitely been the four most stressful days of my life.

I am 12 weeks pregnant with DC3. On Monday I had my nuchal scan and blood tests. The scan was fine with a reading of 1.4mm but the bloods results were absolutely awful. My hCG was 4.1 MoM which was over four times the level it should be and literally off the scale. My PAPP-A was 0.4 MoM which was half what it should be. High hCG together with low PAPP-A can be an indicator of down's.

My bloods results on their own gave me a risk of down's of 1 in 4 and combined with the nuchal reading a risk of 1 in 20.

I had a cvs on Wednesday which was not exactly pleasant but more uncomfortable than painful.

I have just had my results and am delighted to report the baby does not have down's, edward's or patau's syndromes.

I just thought I'd share my results with fellow mumsnetters to reassure people that bad bloods results can definitely have a positive outcome.

DrSeuss Fri 12-Nov-10 20:02:57

Had my nuchal on Monday, also with a reading of 1.4. Am awaiting blood results. I was told that poor results would be notified by phone, better ones by letter. Haven't heard anything yet and am comforting self with no news being good news.
Thank you for posting this wonderful and very encouraging news. May I ask your age? I'm nearly forty. I am so pleased for you and your family and hope that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

TheProvincialLady Fri 12-Nov-10 20:06:12

Great newssmile

squeezytoy Fri 12-Nov-10 20:24:16

monkey32 thank you for posting this, it's kind of you to share your story - and I'm so pleased you came out clear. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy now

monkey32 Sat 13-Nov-10 08:05:10

Thank you for your posts. I definitely think it's good to share good stories, I know I took a lot of comfort from good outcome stories during the horrible wait for the results.

DrSeuss I am 37 so not far off you!

DrSeuss Sat 13-Nov-10 10:51:55

The letter arrived today (following two false starts with a double glazing salesman and someone from the bank, both of whom rang me up and scared the life out of me!)and my risk factor is officially 1 in 37,565! That's the bloods and the nuchal combined! How the hell that happened when you factor in my venerable age I have no idea but let's just be grateful for it. The plain stats for a woman of forty are 1 in 150. If I were allowed a big glass of champagne I would be drinking it right now!

DrSeuss Sat 13-Nov-10 18:47:13

At the risk of sounding sactimonious, I gave a donation to the Down's Syndrome Association whose sevices I will not now be needing. If everyone who had a good result does this, they will see their income rise considerably.

TheProvincialLady Sun 14-Nov-10 06:24:03

That's a lovely idea and I am so happy for you.

Chynah Wed 17-Nov-10 17:40:47

I had an NT of 2.6mm but dreadful bloods resulting in a 1:12 risk so I had a CVS which was all clear. DD is now 7 months old and gorgeous.

mummytoh1 Thu 18-Nov-10 09:53:10

I too had a NT of 2.6mm and dreadful blood results with my second baby, giving me a risk of 1:15. I had a CVS and the results were all clear too. I'm now 17 weeks pregnant and trying to enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: