Talk

Advanced search

Citalopram 10mg & Pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
untaughtangel63 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:42:16

Hey smile

Thank you for taking the time to read this i appreciate the time & effort. Waffling on warning..

I'm 28 and have suffered with anxiety and depression, have done for a long time so have been taking citalopram. I decided 4 weeks ago to come off the tablets so we can try for a baby..but honestly I feel rubbish so had to go back on them today for my own health. I've been reading past posts that a years old regarding people being pregnant while taking citalopram while pregnant. I would like to hear your stories..I don't want to end up childless due to this condition anxiety just gets in the way. Thank you again.

Stilllivinginazoo Mon 16-Jan-17 18:47:50

I was given citalopram during pregnancy after I had bad pnd with no.3(emergency c sect birth),I suffer anxiety/depression all time but prefer try hold it tog without meds not always successfully.
Anyway I was given it mid pregnancy as it was felt I was becoming a bit more unstable and after the birth it would help keep me reasonably stable.best thing I could've done.I wasuch calmer up til the birth and whilst I did get pnd it was mild enough that I manage keep going!!good luck op.x

untaughtangel63 Mon 16-Jan-17 18:50:31

Thank you so much for sharing. Means alot.

Sheilasfeels Fri 03-Mar-17 10:59:23

I have been on citalopram 20mg for around 4 years. Tried to come off when trying for a baby and relapsed, and so decided to carry on taking AD throughout pregnancy. I have suffered no side effects. I had one dip early on and told my midwife straight away who linked me in with the mother and infant mental health team so I have am extra layer of support if needed. I have been warned that the bigger you get the potentially less effective the Meds are (more blood and body mass) and that if that happened they would increase my dose to compensate. The only small concern is the possibility of baby withdrawing after birth however this is easily managed by medical staff these days.

Sloper Fri 03-Mar-17 11:03:14

Snap - came off them 4 weeks ago to start trying again, went suicidal. Back on them and planning to reduce much much slower this time; my GP said I'll then go on something "better" for pregnancy.

Have you talked to yours about it all? What do they say?

Sloper Fri 03-Mar-17 11:04:03

(Suicidal was a side-effect of withdrawal by the way, I'm not usually like that or wouldn't be TTC'ing!)

IntoTheWoods84 Sat 04-Mar-17 01:00:06

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby. Been on citalopram for years - dropped down to 10mg when I got my BFP. There are a lot of scare stories out there about a lot of things to do with pregnancy but in the end, it's your decision.

i decided that, for me, the benefits outweighed the risk and my mental health is part of a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck!x

IntoTheWoods84 Sat 04-Mar-17 01:03:18

P.s sertraline is the AD generally prescribed for pregnant women as it is thought to be the safest one. Citalopram is great for anxiety thougj - not sure how sertraline compares but could be worth a try if you're worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now