Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pnd 'aimed' at one child?

(9 Posts)
Rabidu Wed 11-Jan-17 22:35:57

I have a 2 year old an a 5 month old.
Since having dc2 Iv been very down, tearful and short tempered. I have very little patience for my baby, if he doesn't settle after a while of me trying, or doing different things I can't cope. Tell him I hate him, wish I'd never had him etc. I often have to leave him to cry in his bed while I go and cry myself.
Even after he has settled and is happy and smiling I feel the need to punish him by not smiling back, making my husband give him a bottle rather than breast feed him.
He wakes 2-3 times a night so I'm exhausted, but I know my feelings towards him aren't normal.
The main reason I haven't been to the gp with this issue is that I'm absolutely fine with dc1, I have all the time in the world for him. If he's naughty I tell him off, an straight away get back to being happy.

So my question is, Can I have pnd and it only effect my feelings to my baby? I assumed that if I have pnd it would effect my whole life and all my relationships, not just my bond with baby.

allthatnonsense Wed 11-Jan-17 22:39:50

Talk to a GP. You're doing your best, but sounds as if you might be suffering. PND is awful and having babies and toddlers to look after is fucking hard work.
Ask for help.

Rabidu Thu 12-Jan-17 05:13:17

Thanks allthat, I guess I feel that as I'm not consumed by depression and am getting out and still enjoying my other child, that it won't be classed as pnd and they won't be able to help me me.

Zippidydoodah Fri 13-Jan-17 21:54:51

You should definitely seek help, as it sounds like you haven't bonded well with ds2 flowers

Zippidydoodah Fri 13-Jan-17 21:56:15

Oh sorry, I just reread your post. The lack of bond is a symptom of pnd, I think. Either way, it needs fixing. You can't carry on like this! And I'm sure you'd be listened to by the gp.

Rabidu Fri 13-Jan-17 22:05:51

Thanks.
Iv made an appointment with my gp.
I know somethings not right, as I know friends who have worse sleeping babies than mine but still gush about them, an I feel like I'm faking it when I'm smiley and mumsy with him.

PastysPrincess Fri 13-Jan-17 22:12:31

There is no rhyme or reason to how PND effects you. You need help, not recriminations for how it makes you feel. It's taken me a long time to recover but I got there and you can too.

My emotions shut down to the point that my 3 month old fell off the bed and it didn't upset me. It was a strange feeling because I knew logically I should be upset but the emotions just weren't there.

Please see your doctor and start the road to recovery flowers

crazybat Fri 13-Jan-17 22:20:18

that is completely normal and obviously the onset of your pnd.

my mum had it with my youngest sister as she was a girl (her parents in law were very unhappy that they had failed yet again to pass on the family name)

crazybat Fri 13-Jan-17 22:20:20

that is completely normal and obviously the onset of your pnd.

my mum had it with my youngest sister as she was a girl (her parents in law were very unhappy that they had failed yet again to pass on the family name)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now