Talk

Advanced search

Hair loss after birth - PLEASE HELP

(18 Posts)
user1464898055 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:20:19

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but looking for some advice - any advice!

So I gave birth to my beautiful little boy 5 months ago now - there's just one problem I'm loosing my hair 😵 (It's not just thinning it's has a bald patch on one side right at the front - dare a say like one half of a widows peak)

I know hair loss can be a issue after birth, but 5 months on and it's worse than ever! It's becoming a issue confidence wise too.

I've been and got some tablets from Holland and Barrett but if I'm honest I'm not holding much hope with these as it advertises healthy hair supplement, not to make it grow back!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

OhGoToSleepPlease Thu 02-Jun-16 21:31:41

I had this. Nothing worked & several bald/balding patches. Probably worse because I was so stressed about it.
It seemed to stop, almost suddenly when dd was about 7/7.5 months. She's now nearly 11months & I have lots of fine whispy bits that stand up on end no matter what as the hair is growing back in.
No advice but know how horrendous it is!
I hope it stops soon & grows back.

I was advised to avoid washing too often, not to tie hair up tight, not to use products if possible. Common sense I know but gp always stressed it to end.

KatyN Sat 04-Jun-16 10:06:44

I think you are meant to lose hair after birth.. When you are pregnant for some reason you don't lose as much hair hence the glossy locks etc, then a few months it all falls out. Mine blocked our shower causing £400 of damage.
It does stop. But you might need to rise it out for now. I know several women who confessed a bald patch which implies lots of other women ha e the same but just don't talk about it.
Sorry xxx

EllenRipley Sat 04-Jun-16 10:13:07

Consider getting your serum ferritin (iron store) level checked. It can be very low after you've had a baby and one symptom is hair loss, from what I've read it needs to be up above 50 for your follicles to re-stock!

juneau Sat 04-Jun-16 10:17:20

I had this too with both my DC. Beautiful lustrous hair all through pregnancy and then about 4-5 months after giving birth the whole lot fell out in handfuls. It was awful! I reckon I lost about 1/3 of my hair and its quite fine, so it was definitely noticeable.

All I can recommend is to go and see your hairdresser and get it cut so that the hair loss isn't so noticeable and then just give it time. It WILL come back, but it won't look lovely again for a year or two, because unless your hair is very short that's how long it takes for hair to grow back to a decent length. And by then you might have another baby and it will all start again. You just have to grit your teeth and accept it really. It IS distressing, but its temporary.

BearGryllsHasaBigRope Sat 04-Jun-16 10:18:16

I had this with both my dcs. Bald patches on the side and then I grew a very attractive short fringe all the way around my head. It looked ridiculous. It's still growing out now and I'm expecting dc3. Dreading it happening again and I think I might investigate some sort of supplement/vitamin to take after the baby is born in the hope it'll help? It really is awful. You have my sympathies.

SkyLucy Sat 18-Jun-16 21:17:21

Just to say I would echo the advice about ferritin. I wasn't pg but I started losing my hair a year ago and discovered in Dec that it was due to a ferritin level of 8: I believe it needs to be over 70 to affect hair positively. (My low levels were prob caused by being a vegetarian with heavy periods). I took hefty doses of ferrous sulphate which were gradually increasing my levels...unfortunately though I'm now pg and not able to take so much iron! Hair is falling out everywhere. Heartbroken sad

So, get your ferritin level checked, and if it's low, get on the Galfer tablets!

Best of luck to you.

Luckystar1 Sat 18-Jun-16 21:21:32

I had this. I urge you to get a side fringe asap. Once it starts to grow back its like having antenna. Much to my DH's extreme amusement...

Gwlondon Sat 18-Jun-16 21:26:25

I thought it was normal? While you are pregnant all your hair is on the growing phase. (No hair used to go on my brush.) but once your baby is born all your hair goes into the next phase of a falling out. It seems worse because it happens all at once and you spent 9 months in the growing phase. Usually some
Hair is growing and some is falling out at any time. Hope that makes sense.

Gwlondon Sat 18-Jun-16 21:33:43

Proper explanation!!!
kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/hairloss/

SkyLucy Sun 19-Jun-16 19:21:02

Lucky haha, I do indeed have antennae! But I have VERY curly hair, so they're curly antennae! Oh the indignity! I have a lot of 'retro' fabric hairbands...

Luckystar1 Sun 19-Jun-16 21:37:14

My antennae were curly too, like baby hair... The rest of my har is straight-ish so it stuck out every which way. There was no taming it (until I got the side fringe, best idea ever).

I got pregnant again just after DS' 1st birthday so god knows what will be in store for me after this baby is born... You know to add to the misery of no sleep, bleeding, leaking boobs, screaming baby, mad toddler, teething etc... wink

Frazzled2207 Sun 19-Jun-16 21:57:04

Very normal and very unpleasant. Mine lasted 3 months (roughly 3-6 months pp) both times. Then the shedding stopped and regrowth started. Uneven, crappy hair for months. A year after having my second it's getting back to normal.

BagelDog Thu 29-Sep-16 12:53:40

Have had this theee times now... am at the ridiculous fluffy regrowth stage... there are things it is worth getting checked inc ferretin levels, thyroid function etc but often it is just one of those things... good diet, decent post natal vitamin esp if feeding, patience, hairbands, and tells by yourself that although you think it is obvious and you look ridiculous, no one else has noticed. Xx

user1471771116 Mon 09-Jan-17 16:16:58

It's been 3 months since I've given birth and it was only a couple weeks ago that my hair started falling out in clumps. When brushing and washing even walking around plans when I sleep theres hair everywhere. I am breast feeding. I'm starting to go bald at the top front corner of my head! On both sides. I'm taking pregnacare still but my friend said I have to get vitamins for hair as it happened to her. Unfortunately it's what happens to some women sad..

KevinMcCallister Mon 09-Jan-17 16:21:01

Mine came out 8 months after miscarriage in clumps. It then was about a year after having DD and I ended up having a short bob so compensate. Mine came out evenly but still looked terrible due to all the regrowth. Sympathies.

MoreBushThanMoss Mon 09-Jan-17 16:23:11

Yep am there as well. Hairline receding, and thin all over. DS is 3 and a half months. Bought silk scarves to make into turbans, and berets for outdoors.... It's bloody shit.

AntiQuitty Mon 09-Jan-17 16:25:52

Go and see your GP. Low iron, low vitamin D & hypothyroidism are just 3 things which can also cause hair loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now