St Marys hospital in Manchester and really crap booking in apt..

(6 Posts)
Kimononono Fri 13-May-16 20:21:14

Good even all,

Just looking for some advice on what to do next. I'm 15w 2 days and only had my booking in apt yesterday even though I register pregnancy at 8 weeks. So I've missed my 12 week scan. ( I did pay privately for one as I wanted to see if all was well)

The midwife was very young and kept having to go out of the room and ask somebody questions I was asking her. I mentioned I wanted to book a private utility room after birth with she said wasn't possible as im asking for a elected section (2nd baby was emergency section and got a bit frantic) and I'd be put in a ward specifically for elected sections and encourage to be up and walking after six hours and home within 24 hours? ( I've got horrid visions of some nurse yelling ' come on ladies up and out'

She also asked about my mental health, when I said it was fine - she said she had looked through my file ( must have GP notes from years ago) and said she had seen that I'd had counciling for sexual abuse as a child and how was that going? Which to be honest actually floored me. How the hell is that relevant to my midwife what I had councilling for? It was years ago.

I was really upset when I got in the car to come home. She didn't have to bring the SA up and I'm petrified now at being asked to get up after six hours when my spinal bloke wears off so I can go home.

Is she talking nonsense? Who would I call to ask to see another midwife or to ask some one to explain this to me ?

Thank you

Kimononono Fri 13-May-16 20:23:40

Bump !

KatyN Sun 15-May-16 21:45:55

I didn't have a section but a friend heard the 6 hour walking 24 hr home plan. She was having twins. I think it's a new thing. As it was one of hers was poorly and he blood pressure was sky high so she stayed in longer.
The booking in aopt can often be a bit of a let down because you expect more than they give you, also you are a long way from
Giving birth but have obviously already been thinking a lot about it. If you can hold off till your next apt you may find you like the next mw much more and arrange to see her in future (which I blatantly did after the third mw I saw took my fear of labour seriously after my first spent time in nicu at birth).
Congratulations k

Serenity05 Mon 16-May-16 08:20:10

Hi, I had a c-section at St. Mary's last year (emergency, not planned) and I was encouraged to move as soon as I could but I was never pushed. On the contrary - I wanted to get up as soon as the spinal block wore off because I wanted to go and see my baby in NICU but I could barely sit up at that point. I was told to take it slow and do what I could when I could.

And I also had a crap booking in appointment with a midwife who seemed inexperienced and totally unsympathetic about my past mental health issues. I wonder if she was the same one you had. She really freaked me out but I never saw her again and she was the only one who made me feel bad. Everyone else I saw at St. Mary's throughout the pregnancy and during and after the birth was wonderful. I hope it will be the same for you.

Do you have a community midwife who you could talk to?

PotteringAlong Mon 16-May-16 08:22:38

I'm really sorry she upset you, but you can't see how asking you about counselling for previous sexual abuse might be going if you're pregnant and going to need to give birth?

PotteringAlong Mon 16-May-16 08:23:00

Might be going? Meant to say might be relevant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now