Fluoxetine during early pregnancy

(4 Posts)
NickiJay Sun 08-May-16 20:52:37

Hi all, this is my first post. I'm 9 weeks pregnant with baby no 2. I had horrible antenatal depression during my first pregnancy which led to horrible post natal depression as I didn't take my meds. I've this week been back the docs as I've been getting those same feelings. He has prescribed Fluoxetine again but I'm scared to take them with being so early on. Having a really horrid day. Has anyone taken fluoxetine during pregnancy? Thanks

Tixy Mon 09-May-16 14:19:53

Hi there,

I too had awful antenatal anxiety and depression and my Dr prescribed me Fluoxetine at around 9 weeks. 20mg wasn't enough to alleviate it but 40mg worked within a week and my lovely son was born well and is now a healthy 4 year old.

I really don't think I would have been able to make it through without the medication and it allowed me to really enjoy the rest of the pregnancy. Antenatal depression is horrific and please don't be scared to try the tablets if it means you will feel better.

I am now summoning the courage to try for another baby and both the Dr and the consultant have said that I can start on the Fluoxetine as soon as I fall pregnant if I need to and that they have no worries about the effect on the baby as it is so important for the mother to feel well. They have said that lots of women take this kind of medication during pregnancy and that the risks to the baby are minute and not much higher than if you were not taking anything.

I really wish you all the best and hope that helps you a little.

Tixy

NickiJay Mon 09-May-16 15:14:15

Thank you Toxteth that's really put my mind at ease. I think I'll have to start them I can't handle this anxiety.

X

NickiJay Mon 09-May-16 15:14:41

Tixy even!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now