Talk

Advanced search

PND Hope is out there.

(1 Post)
Firsttimer82 Sat 19-Mar-16 10:29:20

I just wanted to tell my story. I have a gorgeous 16 week old baby but had very bad postnatal blues at 4 weeks then at 12 weeks PND and extreme anxiety hit me like a bus. I couldn't cope with anything and just kept thinking hideous unwanted thoughts about things happening to the baby. My emotions shut down and I really thought I didn't love him and that my husband was going to leave me. I spoke to the HV and GP and have been on citalopram for 2 weeks and it feels like the world is a better place. I have some space in my head to breathe and while I still feel anxious I can see its going to end at some point. I truly didn't a week ago and i just wanted to tell people who are starting on the PND journey that it isn't THAT bad forever.

Top advice

1, Talk to your GP/HV They have heard it all before.
2, If you are having intrusive thoughts these are common and you are not evil or deranged they are the PND manifesting in your mind. These thoughts aren't you they are the illness.
3, If you feel you can take the drugs. I delayed it by a week as was so scared to but I wish I had started them sooner. It took 11 days on 20mg of citalopram for me to feel a difference.
4, Get insight timer as an app or do a body scan meditation off Youtube. Pick a 5 minute one and just try,
5, Get a good book on PND, It helps to know what the mechanics in the brain are.
6, talk to your friends they will understand.
7, be kind to yourself.

YOU AREN'T ALONE. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS. YOU DO LOVE YOUR BABY.
ITS NOT YOUR FAULT.

HUGS TO ALL GOING THROUGH THIS TOO.

XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now