Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Antidepressants

(5 Posts)
bek123 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:21:43

Having a really hard time with my moods lately and admitted to my midwife I'm struggling. She said she predicted after my last visit to her that this was going to happen. She's spoken to my gp and they've advised I go back and get a prescription for anti depressants and I have contacted mind and are due for an assessment with them next week. A lot is going on with home life and stress at work and I feel so bad for my other half that among all his stresses he has to keep an extra eye on me. I just need some advice from anyone who's been through a similar situation as at the moment I just feel so guilty that my mindset can't be better for my baby's sake sad

turkeylovessprout Thu 05-Nov-15 20:55:19

Hi Bec, sorry you are feeling down. I was on anti depressants throughout my 3 pregnancies and after and have never had any problems. It's kept my head above water and just kept me going. They don't make me feel overly happy or change me per se, but they've kept me from going under.
I think you probably need them right now as your Dr and midwife have advised, otherwise things could get so much worse.
There's nothing wrong with needing them sometimes and trust me you'd be surprised at the number of people who do.
Don't feel guilty either. Just do the best for the children and not what anybody else thinks you should do. (apart medical advice).

bek123 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:19:35

Thank you for your advice, ive never had any issues with mental health before hand so just finding it a bit daunting really sad the slightest things are setting me off into meltdowns and it's frustrating as normally I can deal with things well, hormones I'm guessing! I know I've done the right thing by saying I need help but I wish I could have stayed stronger :/

BugginBlues Fri 06-Nov-15 16:16:20

Hi Bek, I'm pregnant with my second child and started on antidepressants about two months ago. They've made a huge difference on my mood, I feel much calmer and more positive than I did before. I was really struggling with depression for months, not sleeping well, very teary, angry and irritable all the time. Felt horrible arguing with my husband and not having much patience with my DD. I'm now on Sertraline which initially made me feel worse for three or four days but after that it got better and I'm really glad I started on them. You've done the right thing by speaking to your midwife and GP and don't feel bad about yourself, we all need some help sometimes! flowers

bek123 Fri 06-Nov-15 19:48:01

Thank you for your advice! I went to see a different gp in my practice today and she said that since mind are involved I have to wait to see what they say. She didn't really seem to care in my opinion. Just told me to go back if my mood worsened. And to look forward to the positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now