Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant and depressed

(13 Posts)
mellowyellow1 Thu 24-Sep-15 15:22:12

I'm about 10 weeks pregnant, can't feel any excitement about having this baby. All I feel is negativity constantly.

I'm so scared that this is a mistake and I'm not cut out to be a mother. I'm scared I'm going to resent the child and long for my old life.

I had such a great childhood and I can't replicate that because I'm going to have to go back to work at 6 months. I don't own my own home, have an average job, still feel like a child myself.

Has anyone else felt like this? Did it turn out okay? I've had an abortion before and I don't feel like I can face it again but either option is terrifying.

nappyqueen Thu 24-Sep-15 15:35:04

Try not to make any snap decisions. Hormones (sounds cheesy I know) will be causing havoc at the moment and nausea, tiredness and emotions will be making you feel worse.
Speak to your midwife/GP as if it ongoing depression then you may need more support etc or they can just help you talk through things.
Is you OH supportive?
Don't worry about living up to your own childhood, your childhood makes you who you are and once you are a parent you will find your own way to make you baby's upbringing special and they will value you for everything you do for them.

Try to stay calm (better for you and baby) and relax and find someone to chat to xx

mellowyellow1 Thu 24-Sep-15 18:03:21

Thanks, OH is supportive but on minimum wage and can't see that ever changing.

I have made an appointment with a counsellor.

Robles07 Sat 17-Oct-15 11:39:28

Hi mellow yellow. I'm feeling the same although I am lucky that my husband has a great job as do I and I'm scared of loosing my freedom and loosing my wage as I won't be able to return to my job. I thought I would be happy , my husband is ecstatic but I'm struggling and I'm only a few weeks in xxx

mellowyellow1 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:31:30

Sorry to hear you're struggling too Robles, how are you feeling now?

Robles07 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:58:17

Stil in shock. Feels like life has been turned upside down and feeling sick all the time is horrid. But I just have to take my time and hopefully things will get better ??

Robles07 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:58:52

How are u? Mellowyellow1

mellowyellow1 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:11:06

Feeling better health wise as I'm in the 2nd trimester now but still feeling unsure if this is what I really want!

The sickness does get better I promise!

Notsureifiamcrazy Mon 16-Nov-15 21:13:55

I am 27 weeks and suffering with depression before and during my pregnancy. I feel like I just don't know what to do anymore.
Me and my partner have only been together for 18 months and we are fighting all the time I feel physically and emotionally drained.
I was on medication before falling pregnant which I then stopped because I was worried about the effects on the baby but after slipping deeper and deeper into dark thoughts I agreed with my doctor to go back on them. It has been 4 weeks and I feel slightly better but I find it hard to differentiate between pregnancy symptoms and depression as I have been sleeping a lot.
I know it was hard for my partner and is hard for him with my emotions being all over the place but I feel that everything is my fault.. Every time we argue its comes back to me doing something wrong, ie he said that I was right to be pissed off but the way I expressed it was wrong! I am not sure what's right and wrong anymore.
He suffers from depression too but doesn't talk to anyone about it or take medication.
This relationship happened quickly after I separated from my husband we were together for 14 years I am not sure that I am giving my new relationship a chance or if I am hanging on to all the pain for the past and putting that on him?
Either way I keep feeling more and more I would be better off alone, at least I wouldn't be hurting anyone.

ZoeFreeWoman Wed 18-Nov-15 10:30:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

InherentFilm Mon 15-Feb-16 13:22:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PreggoandTired Mon 15-Feb-16 15:57:28

I'm pregnant with DC number 4. I had awful prenatal depression with all 3, but as soon as the baby was born it disappeared.

It felt so real at the time, my moods were very up and down. One minute crying and feeling hopeless, the next feeling elated. It was mainly hopeless though.

This time I know the feelings aren't real, I still feel them but can look at them objectively.

Did you get bad PMT? I've always suffered with my hormones, pregnancy is just much more magnified. You'll be fine!!! thanks

PreggoandTired Mon 15-Feb-16 16:00:10

Ps, I've also only been with my current partner for 20 months. I question our relationship and compare it to my marriage. I worry about how this (unplanned) baby will affect my DC. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now