What are your thoughts/experiences of St. John's wort? Would you recommend it?

(5 Posts)
Brightonmumtoatoddler Wed 27-May-15 14:03:13

I'm considering giving it a go as I feel low quite a lot of the time but I don't really fit into the depressed category I don't think. I sleep, I eat, I function, I feel feelings of happiness a fair amount and I can be easily cheered by friends and a hug.
I just have this sort of underlying feeling of sadness a lot of the time which I think is a lot to do with having no bond with my mother, very few roots and low self esteem.
Anyway I'm wondering how other people have found St. John's wort as I would always prefer to try natural remedies before chemical ones.
Thank you.

ppeatfruit Thu 28-May-15 11:46:44

I used it for the menopause and it worked very well, you could try it for a while (it's not good if you're out in the sun a lot though).

Another thing to try is to look at your wheat intake, see Grain Brain by a Dr. Perlmutter. Also alcohol intake, both can make depression worse (or create it).

You're sooo right to look at natural remedies, I've not been to a doc's for a problem fpr 15 years !!

Brightonmumtoatoddler Thu 28-May-15 17:15:14

Thank you ppeat. What's with the no sun thing? I am out a fair amount at the mo. Does it stop it working?
I don't really drink but probably eat wheat so will also look into that.

ppeatfruit Fri 29-May-15 10:07:03

You're very welcome grin I think, in some people, it 'sensitises' the skin. So you need to wear a good sun block or (take care) not go out between the hours of 11am and 3pm.

Yes, if you suffer from exhaustion and inexplicable bad tempers and 'ill feelings', often the explanation is an intolerance to wheat (esp. whole wheat , even organic).

Dh is terrible with wheat, (see above symptoms), I can't digest it well so we don't have it in the house. But we eat pure rye bread and toast also Kamut. So we don't feel deprived of good toast!!

Brightonmumtoatoddler Fri 29-May-15 15:00:22

I don't have exhaustion or bad tempers so I don't think I have that. Just feels like a little grey rain cloud follows me around and I feel like I've lost my 'spark' a bit. Thank you again for your advice its nice to know someone is listening x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now