Advanced search

Help for postnatal depression, NHS

(11 Posts)
WhatAFunnyPotato Sat 09-Nov-13 03:49:04

A friend with a young baby has been feeling very depressed and feels she is struggling. Without wanting to go into detail here, i agree she could benefit from some help.

Following advice, she got an appointment with her health visitor who came over to her house. However, the HV said she was 'not depressed enough' to qualify for any counselling, and when my friend asked how depressed she had to be, the HV said, 'You'd have to be suicidal'.....

Now, I've checked the NICE guidance on this and know she's wrong. Obviously local NHS trusts ration care in different ways, but IMO this HV's attitude is potentially very damaging.

Can anyone here guide me to the correct criteria for getting NHS help for PND (if it exists) and an idea of how to move forward from here?

timeforgin Sat 09-Nov-13 03:56:52

No idea am afraid, hopefully someone will be along soon to help


I am stunned that a HV told her she wasn't depressed enough to be helped and would need to be suicidal. WT actual F? That is shocking (and I would be surprised - and despairing - if it is actually true).

timeforgin Sat 09-Nov-13 03:57:20

PS I would suggest making an app

timeforgin Sat 09-Nov-13 04:00:31


Appointment with GP urgently. Mine is lovely and at post natal checks has always been very on top of asking questions in that area to see how I was doing (I looked particularly haggard and stressed both times!) and I would imagine they would be able to point in the right direction.

Best of luck, really hope your friend gets some support, being a mummy is a massive adjustment.

WhatAFunnyPotato Sat 09-Nov-13 10:41:51

Thanks, it is shocking. Have suggested a GP appt so we'll see how that goes.

SpecialJK Sun 10-Nov-13 20:58:04

Definitely v bad advice from HV, go to see the gp. They will refer to the counselling people and then she will get a call. It is true they prioritise the most serious cases, and in my case I was fortunate that I found my own support group.

There are other people she can speak to however that will help. Try Hluse of Light or Pandas. They have websites with telephone numbers to call if you need to speak to someone. Hope she gets some help and advice soon

SpecialJK Sun 10-Nov-13 20:58:54

House of Light sorry

WhatAFunnyPotato Mon 11-Nov-13 08:01:08

Thanks Special, very useful. I do appreciate more serious cases will - and should - get priority. My friend is lucky in that she's very aware she has a problem and needs help, and has reached out. Not everyone can/does.

SpecialJK Wed 13-Nov-13 10:05:19

Did the HV do the edinburgh scale test with her? I think mine did it every week with me. The counselling service almost do a kind of triage thing in my area where they assess you, to decide whether you're a priority.

Try the local NCT group too. Sometimes they have local PND support meetings they setup.

I found the best thing that helped me was talking to other mothers who had PND or felt-down. It made me feel that I wasn't alone and that other people felt that way, and also that it would get better in time.

If the GP feels she needs it, then they may prescribe AD's, which can help her get back onto a more even keel, then it's easier to deal with the day.

I agree, the hardest part is saying you think you need help. If she feels like she needs help, then that's the first step towards things getting better

strongestmind Wed 08-Jan-14 16:54:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Katiejon Wed 08-Jan-14 22:56:58

Homesstart are a befriending service which sends trained volunteers into mums homes to support them.
I had a volunteer for dd and have requested one for ds as I have pnd again.
Wonderful service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now