Talk

Advanced search

Is this PND? Or am I just a crap mum?

(6 Posts)
LittleWaveyLines Wed 05-Oct-11 08:56:41

I am massively anxious about my ability to care for my 3 month DD. Even though I love her and do my best, she ends up getting knocks which I then obsess over and am convinced have permanently hurt her.

For instance, she managed to wiggle her head off a changing mat onto a hard floor while I was in the shower, so her head must have dropped 2-3 inches onto the floor. I was convinced I had broken her skull/given her concussion etc.
Taking her to the car in the car seat I scraped her overhanging toes on the doorframe... etc etc. I went to a BBQ and forgot to keep her indoors, just under an umbrella - she breathed in BBQ smoke and caught the sun. It goes on.

So - is this PND? Do these little knocks happen to everyone or am I just a crap mum?

emilycharles Wed 05-Oct-11 10:45:46

You're definately NOT a crap mum. Yes, these knocks do happen to everyone. You need to stop giving yourself a hard time. Speak to your GP about PND if you think you may have it. I just think you're too hard on yourself.

LittleWaveyLines Wed 05-Oct-11 14:26:36

Thanks emilycharles, yes I know I'm hard on myself - bit of a perfectionist!

pozzled Wed 05-Oct-11 14:33:34

Yes, you are being too hard on yourself. Of course you should do what you can to prevent knocks etc, but it does happen. DD1 fell off a bed onto a hard wooden floor at about 5 months. DD2 is 4 months and constantly gets squashed when DD1 tries to cuddle her too hard. I put her down on the change mat awkwardly the other day and her head fell back a little with a bump. We had a bbq last weekend and it didn't occur to me to worry about the smoke.

Babies are tougher than you think.

If this is causing you a lot of stress and anxiety you could have a chat to your HV about it, it's normal to worry a bit but not to let if affect your life IYKWIM? Do you have any other symptoms of depression?

LittleWaveyLines Wed 05-Oct-11 18:13:19

Well I'm constantly worrying about germs - for instance I didnt wash my hands before changing her when out shopping the other day, and then worried about what germs I had given her from door handles etc - is that irrational?
I also have to force myself to go out as it all seems a bit overwhelming...
Massively tired all the time, but then I'm a new mum! Not sure how much is tiredness...

BleughCowWonders Wed 05-Oct-11 18:41:06

definitely keep going with forcing yourself out - are there any baby groups you could drop into? Or a baby massage group you could join?

But I think it's a good idea to talk to your HV. She may well have ideas to help you out, whether or not it's PND.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now