Talk

Advanced search

What expect at appt?

(2 Posts)
chickenchops Fri 01-Jul-11 22:19:25

hiya,
In may I suffered from a very traumatic labour and delivery of DS. My GP has referred me on with suspected PTSD to one of the Psychiatrists and I was just wondering what I could expect? Is it just chatting about the birth? How long is the appt likely to be? Also, (and I hope this doesn't sound silly but...) There won't be any physical exam will there? Am just concerned as I don't really want to be touched right now by anyone.
Many thanks in advance

fishandlilacs Fri 01-Jul-11 23:29:54

Hi chicken chops,

I saw a physchologist after my birth trauma and PND. It was really nice, we had a coffee, chatted a bit about what had happened then talked about what I wanted to get out of therapy, he talked a bit about what he could help me with and asked where I wanted to be. It lasted about an hour, I cried a bit but that was dealt with sensitively as well. I had a further 5 sessions and it helped. Funnily enough i am seeing one again next week because I am now pregnant again with DC2 and I just want to make sure theres no residual birth trauma, even though I feel fine and I am no longer scared of being pregnant or having another birth experience. I was for a long time. They have been incredibly supportive.

There was no physical, I would think that if would be unnecassary and not a psychiatrists jurisdiction.

Good luck-and remember you will get through this, it's not easy right now, theres lots of support on MN and it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now