Talk

Advanced search

PND or PMT and recovery times???

(2 Posts)
Rafferson Fri 17-Jun-11 08:14:38

Hi, this is my first post on here and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I have two wonderful boys, one 2 1/2 and one nearly 7 months. When DS2 was about 3/4 months I hit a really low patch, crying all the time, no energy, not wanting to go out and worrying obsessively about things like nuclear war, asteroids hitting the earth. etc....all massive things that I have no control over but was in a total panic about every day. I had a huge breakdown crying to my mum, saw my gp, saw my HV, went on ADs for 3 days which made me feel like a zombie so I stopped them on my GPs advice. I also stopped taking cerazette because of reading about it making people feel exactly as I did.

Well I seemed to be getting better but every 4 or 5 weeks I seem to take a dip again and start worrying about various stupid things (like getting old, being alone...), feeling out of control, overwhelmed by life in general and just wanting to cry. I feel so stupid and mostly cross with myself for being like this. I asked my GP if it could be my thyroid and he said quite possibly because it often doesn't work properly for some time after childbirth but there's no point in doing anything about it because it will eventually right itself.

Has anyone else experienced periodic dips like this, is it more PMT than PND now or does PND come back in waves? I should add that my periods did return at about 1 month after the birth which is why I started taking cerazette, they then stopped and haven't returned again. I'm still BF which may be why they haven't returned. Most of this time I'm pretty much fine but these lows are awful. I just want to enjoy my children! I just want to know this will go away, how long does it take? Please help!!!

Tee2072 Fri 17-Jun-11 08:18:21

I think you need to go back to your GP and insist on a thyroid test. Just because it may fix itself is no reason for you to suffer now if it's something that is easily fixable right now.

Also, if you don't get your period I don't think it can be PMT. It sounds a bit like cyclical depression.

There are 1000000s of anti-depressants and birth control pills out there. Try another one. And another and so on until you find one that works. As for a referral to psychiatry wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now