Talk

Advanced search

Pre-natal depression

(17 Posts)
Daisybell1 Fri 08-Apr-11 08:18:58

Has anyone had experience of this?

I've been seeing my dr and MWs for a few weeks now, and they think I'm on the cusp of pre-natal depression. I'm actually relieved that its been taken seriously, although scared about how it may develop.

Is anyone else out there???

JellyBelly10 Fri 08-Apr-11 15:56:10

When I was pg with my second child I had depression through the pregnancy but didn't really realise it until after the birth when postnatal depression hit me like a brick! It was only once I'd been diagnosed with post-natal depression that on discussing it all with GP, MW etc we realsied that my attitude to the pregnancy and my mood throughout it had been pre-natal depression. I had a very ambivalent attitude to the pregnancy, didn't care if it ended in miscarriage, spoke openly about not wanting the baby (despite it being planned!) etc...the thing is it did turn into pretty severe PN depression which I think is perhaps a bit inevitable if you are depressed during the pregnancy. I was treated with anti-depressants after the birth and things were pretty fine after about 3 months...
I don't know whether they can treat you with anti-d's during pregnancy, but if they can then don't be scared to take them, they were a bit of a life-saver for me (not literally, but they totally turned around how I felt and allowed me to cope with things). Hope thinsg turn out ok for you.

Meriva Fri 08-Apr-11 22:18:36

I had to take anti-depressants during my pregnancy but I had suffered from depression a number of years before and it re-surfaced to due treatment I received from DS dad. I had great support from GP and MWs and also saw a psychiatrist. Do whatever it takes to help you feel better,it wont harm your baby to take medication, they should also explain the affect it will have on breastfeeding. Following their advice I didn't breastfeed. Hope things improve and you get to enjoy your pregnancy

Albrecht Thu 14-Apr-11 08:54:05

Therapist told me that many women with pnd probably were also depressed during their pregnancy but it wasn't usually picked up. Its good they are taking you seriously. MN is also good if you need to offload stuff.

Its way in the future but the Breastfeeding Network has good advice about different drugs and breastfeeding, if you do decide to go on ads, here.

Good luck.

Tee2072 Thu 14-Apr-11 08:56:15

I had antenatal depression through out my pregnancy but, luckily, was fine once my son was born. Well, as fine as I ever am as I'm a depressive from way back.

So glad your MW and GP are taking it seriously. Do take meds if they suggest you do, can really make a difference.

Daisybell1 Thu 14-Apr-11 21:22:54

Sorry for the late come back, but thank you all for your comments/reassurance. The Dr and MW are being truly lovely - I had a check up with the Dr today, have MW next week, and then Dr again the week after.

They think its stress related, and so we've been through all the stuff I've got on, and dropped some things. I'm hoping that this will work, and I can stave off a decline in my mood. I'm already feeling happier.

Jelly your comments really struck a cord - I also feel completely ambivalent about the pregnancy, even though it was planned. All my work colleagues want to squeal over it all the time, whereas I just want to run away! I've also been, and god this sounds awful, probably putting the pregnancy at risk - OH is a sheep farmer, and PG ladies are supposed to stay well away from the lambs, but I've been hanging about in the yard, and ignoring the advice. Now feel wracked with guilt about what I might have done to the mini-farmer.... sad

I'm just hoping that one day I will look the LO in the face and feel this overwhelming love they talk about, but at the moment, I'm struggling to picture it.

Albrecht Thu 14-Apr-11 21:46:11

here is a page from NHS about lambing and pg if you want more info. It does say the risks are low but like you say, its not the best. You can't do anything about what you've done in the past though, so try not to dwell on the guilt. I bet every woman has realised they've eaten a wrong thing or done a silly thing at some point in their pregnancy.

For some people the love feeling comes slowly. I just could not imagine what it would be like to have a tiny person I was responsible for, when I was pregnant. He is now 9 months and developing a bit of a personality and able to move himself to where he wants to be. I find that easier to connect with, rather than a little animal who just wants milk and snoozes.

Daisybell1 Fri 15-Apr-11 08:56:15

Thanks for that link Albrecht. If I look at that advice, I haven't done any of those - not handled anything, or dealt with OH's clothes, and we're both slathered in anti-bac gel constantly. Hopefully there will be no damage done.

Thank you also for the reassurance on the 'love' thing - its good to know I'm not expected to fall head over heels immediately!

Mersea Tue 03-May-11 10:27:23

Hi
On reflection I suffered with depression from the start of my pregnancy and had very negative thoughts about being pregnant. I was crying most the time and family and friends could not understand it as the baby had been planned. I felt so guilty and bad that I was not feeling great and excited like you are expected to as a new mum. Unfortunately I had a mmc and then the guilt was even worse as I felt I had caused it with all my negative feelings and the baby must have felt unwanted. This was 3 years ago and I am struggling to find the courage to try again, although I have rather reluctantly started taking more risks, I am 39 and I know that time is not on my side.

Daisybell1 Tue 03-May-11 19:49:21

Mersea

I am so sorry for your loss and that you have been feeling this way, but there is nothing in anything I've read about these type of feelings that suggests they can lead to an increased risk of miscarriage.

Your feelings sound exactly the same as mine so I know how lonely and messed up it can feel, especially when everyone else is so bl**dy excited about it.

You are being very brave trying again. Have you had any counselling/talked to your dr? They may be able to help.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

Take care.

Daisybell1 Tue 03-May-11 19:54:25

Mersea

I am so sorry for your loss and that you have been feeling this way, but there is nothing in anything I've read about these type of feelings that suggests they can lead to an increased risk of miscarriage.

Your feelings sound exactly the same as mine so I know how lonely and messed up it can feel, especially when everyone else is so bl**dy excited about it.

You are being very brave trying again. Have you had any counselling/talked to your dr? They may be able to help.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat more.

Take care.

Mersea Wed 04-May-11 09:36:38

Thanks Daisybell for your reply. I did suffer badly for about a year after the mmc and finally I went to the doctor and was given medication and counseling. Both of which did help, I then slowly came of the meds and carried on with the counseling for a while. She was great and has said I can self-refer to her at any time in the future, which is good. I lost mine very early but still have very negative memories about being pregnant, also I fell within the first month of trying so had no time to adapt and adjust to the idea (not good for a control freak like me!). Guess that's why it's difficult trying again, but at least I am a bit more clued up and can recognise the signs earlier another time. I have also reduced my working commitment and taking a bit of time out for myself, I think it's easy to forget to put yourself first occasionally.
I am glad to hear you are getting the support you need but I know it's not easy and you can feel very isolated and like you are the only one who feels like this. Do keep me updated on how you are getting on and happy to lend an ear if one is needed too.
On another note I was interested to hear your OH is a sheep farmer I only have a few chickens myself!!
Best wishes

MissMI5 Tue 07-Jun-11 13:38:01

Hi all, I may be a bit late to join this thread but I found useful reading about your experiences. I have been feeling extremely low and always having to lie to everyone about excited I am when all I want to do is cry and sleep.
I went to see GP yesterday and he referred me to a perinatal psychiatrist because I seem to be developing some kind of anxiety disorder. Anyone with experience of this?
Thanks x

MissMI5 Tue 07-Jun-11 13:38:36

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am 20 weeks pregnant.

LittleMissFlustered Sun 12-Jun-11 22:25:16

My appointment with the perinatal mental health team is next week (I'll be 11+5). Third pregnancy, history of depression. Suffered badly with PND the last two times. GP was very unhelpful last time round, so have avoided that route and gone through the midwife this time. Hoping it will not be as bad as it has been.

Hoping everyone else is getting the help and support they need. And of you feel you're not, go see a midwife, they seem to understand a little more, as you would expect.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 20-Jun-11 21:23:17

hope it's ok to join this thread too....am 17 weeks with DC2. I had major baby blues after DS was born, which may or may not have been PND, but had a huge downphase last year (he was 14months) as well. Have a history of severe depression linked generally (self diagnosed) to hormonal changes (suicide attempts through puberty etc).

I feel really, utterly, truly negative about this pregnancy, dark thoughts that I really panic about having and don't tell anyone about but several friends have commented on my general negativity towards this baby. AM really hoping when I feel it kicking it will feel more real and I'll get more excited about it. Have to really work hard to resist the urge to drink (and managing on the whole). I've got an appointment with the MAPPIM team for a general assessment due to my history in a few weeks....but have only just started to think this might be antenatal depression rather than just feeling stupidly sorry for myself.

Not really sure why I'm posting, I'm just worried the baby will come and I won't bond wiht it at all unless I sort out this negativity

itsastrawpoll Sun 03-Jul-11 14:56:38

Yes, I think I had this.

Caused primarily by the stress of previous birth trauma and having to wait til 36 weeks to know for sure that I could have an ELCS second time round. By which point I had about five seconds to be relieved before I then started to worry about going into labour before my ELCS date.

Lifted as SOON as baby was born, in my case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now