Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
June 2013 tentative start of thread(997 Posts)
Hi, anyone else out there who may be at the very earliest point of pg? I haven't taken a test yet but feeling nauseous and tired and thinking this is it
ah anniversay babies eddie fabulous fingers corssed for lots of gorgeous June bambinos
Hi, hows everyone today?
I have my midwife appointment later today - know its early but I have to get referred back to consultant and that might take a few weeks so thought I'd do it pretty soon.
Also want to ask about/get them prepared for me having a homebirth (all going well in pregnancy) and want that on my notes as soon as too...anyone had any experience of these?
Hi Eddie - no experience with home birth no. We have an excellent brand new Midwife-led unit just 2 minutes down the road from us, so we're lucky in thats the best choice for us. But I can see if your only option is massive oversubscribed state hospital, or homebirth, then homebirth sounds like the best choice! Good luck!
I'm not thinking so far ahead lol, just trying to get through another day without bleeding. After 2 Mcs I'm just so nervous... I'm having loads of cramps and pains, but nothing has caused any bleeding yet, so I'm just really hoping its my uterus stretching and getting ready.
Found a lovely decaff coffee for my coffee maker, yum, can't even tell the difference!
Hi guys, Eddie you are on the ball! My preference will be for a lovely place about a 30 minute drive away. Failing that, i.e. more likely, I will be in a big hospital a few minutes drive away. I would love a home birth but lack confidence, might reconsider it later.
Mrs I hear you, I woke up this morning with less painful boobs and I had sharp pains quite a few times yesterday so am also a bit on the anxious side. Are you and I both 16 dpo today? I'm only cd 28 today, really wish I hadn't found out so soon.
I'm also loving the decaf coffee!
I am going to very gingerly step into this thread!
I am 5 weeks with my second child.
Just had a MC which shocked me to the core so I have everything crossed here!! I have had a few symptoms including boobs growing and twinges in the boobs and a little nausea. No sickness yet but I wasn't sick with my DS.
So hi all!
Hi Preggers, welcome and congratulations on your BFP, I think we're all stepping a bit gingerly still! Sorry to hear about your mc, there are a couple of us here.
yup onemore I'm 16 dpo today but on CD 37! I ov'd really late but caught it thanks to Clearblue smiley opks. I tested on 10dpo and got a faint but obvious BFP and was so excited to see a bfp so early. When I tested again on 14dpo (Monday) it was really dark and appeared right away so I do hope that thats a good sign that HCG is doubling as it should
Welcome newbies and congrats on Bfps! Yes there will be a lot of hand holding in these early weeks. FX for us all
I just binge ate a small packet of crisps and a packet of peanut m&m's... Note to self, carry proper snacks even if you don't think you'll need them...oh the shame!
onemore did you dunk you crisps into your coffee?
just me then couldn't drink the coffee afterwards
I slipped on wet rocks at the beach earlier (walking dog) bloody shit myself
not literally didn't fall over, and thankfully didn't end up on my arse in the water, but it was close. Then panicked. refrained from pant checking there and then decided I'm not talking any more silly risks like walking over wet rocks for another 36 weeks.
Careful frustrated! Is it bad that I laugh at myself and others when we slip?! W think we're going one way and then our bodies decide to stray from the plan! And thanks for the tips re food. Honestly, I was on a quiet but reasonably full train chomping away. I couldn't stop myself but was suitably embarrassed, I must have looked crazy!
I have just POAS again and the conception indicator now says 2-3 weeks. Which is what I was hoping it would say. It was at 1-2 weeks when I first tested.
Still no symptoms here really. Felt slightly sick yesterday which was soon abated with a hot cross bun!
Onemore Its more that we have no-one suitable to look after DS (20 months now so 2 and a half at edd) so the options are leave him with someone we're not comfortable with and be thinking of that/worying while trying to labour, DP staying with DS and me being in hospital labouring alone which the thought of scares me a bit or have baby at home and have the full one-to-one support of a midwife and DP can be around if DS doesnt need him at that minute (asleep/entertained with a dvd etc)...just feels the best option for us
I second the snack thing - DP came home with a big multi-pack of crunchies, they have barely lasted 3 days! Also at work (I'm a youth worker) there is a tuck shop, a whole room filled with chocolate, crisps, cookies, muffins...normally I'm pretty good but I must have spent my wage in there over the past week!
Preggers Hi, hope you're ok? Although your name did make me retch a bit when I thought of the mental images of a naked Keith Chegwin!
Frustrated Hope you're ok, its scary isnt it, thinking you're going to fall? Stick to nice flat paths for the next few months!
Hows everyone today?
Hi all would love to join too. Got a bfp on Tuesday evening and am super excited but have agreed not to say anything to anyone for a while and dp had to leave for a work trip to US on Wednesday morning (leaving wallet at home, he's in shock bless him) so am really pleased to have people to share all this stuff with! Not exactly sure on due date as only came off the pill at end of August thinking it would take ages as I'm 37 but no, didn't have an af so guessed due date is 2nd June from on-line calculators. Have ds of 12 and dd of 9 from previous marriage and it seems like everything's changed since then (you have to reduce caffeine intake omg!).
Preggers, I also poased this morning and was reassured by the stick say 2-3. In fairness it could still have said 1-2, this being the 2, so I was comforted. My symptoms haven't really shifted, I'm getting more spots though, ffs.
Eddie, I didn't realise would be so much better, if not vital, for you to be at home. Fx you don't have to go in. And I would not last a minute with a tuck shop at my beck and call!
Hi Suzy! Welcome and congratulations!
Can I join please! I am expecting no. 2 on 3rd June! Yippee
Hi suzy hi wine, snap wine in the 3rd too. congrats of BFPs.
Hello ladies! Congrats to you all. Can I join you? Got my bfp this morning, EDD around June 5th. I haven't told a soul as DH is away until tomorrow evening.
I've had two mc's in the last year, most recently in July, so am a bit of a worrywart...but fingers crossed this will be the one!
Oh this is where everyone's hiding tonight! I'm due June 7th with newly named Lickle Pickle! Anyone else given their 'poppy seed's a name yet?
Eddie I had a homebirth with DS - I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have! We didn't need to worry about the 'safety' issue as we're only a few minutes drive away from the hosp anyway!
Jojoba That'd be great thanks! Would you rather me PM you or ask on here?
And yea, this one is being referred to as 'Pup'! (Ds was 'Blob'!)
Ok, here goes!
1. How supportive were the midwives etc when you asked for it? Did you face any arguments?
2. What were the actual arrangements - did you have to let them know by a certain time that was your final decsion? Did they drop a kit off at some point or did they bring it when they came?
3. What pain relief was availalbe/did you have?
4. What things did you need to buy/have on hand?
5. Was it messy? (one for DP who is very concerned about this - especially the cream carpets!)
6. Did you feel more 'safe'/'in control' being at home do you think?
7. How did you know when to call the midwife? (I was induced last time so no experience of knowing when the 'right time is)
8. Was it one-to-one care all through the labour? Was it more than one midwife?
I think thats it (for now!), sorry!
Wow! Lots of questions!
1. I originally was adamant that I want a hospital birth but they were very happy to accommodate my decision change at about 20 weeks! One of them was v excited by the idea!
2. I'm sure there was a preferred point by which I needed to have told them, but a friend of mine had decided against a homebirth but had to have one because she labours v quickly!
They brought the pack with them on the day but did come round a few weeks before hand to check it would be a suitable environment & talk through a birth plan.
3. I had none - didn't feel the need for it! I was offered g&a & could have got something stronger (maybe pethidine) by getting a prescription from the GP - this requires forward planning though!
4. The biggest thing I remember being necessary to have on hand was a light! Ideally a desk lamp but a torch would do if someone can hold it for her! The reason for this is so the mw can check the severity of a tear & repair it at home if it's not too bad.
5. Yes. Went to B&Q & spent very little on a plastic dust sheet. The mws just scooped up the whole lot on the plastic & binned it! There were a couple of smudges left on our bedsheet but nothing worse than a small nose bleed - should sponge right out if cleaned up early!
6. Absolutely. My home is my domain. There was no chance of them coercing me into any interventions because they'd need to get me into an ambulance first! I just felt like I was one step further from all that so it was more my decision! It was also really comforting to have my things around me & know where everything was!
7. I didn't really tbh! We rang after my waters broke & she came round to check on me but I didn't think I was having proper contractions so she went again & said to call her when my contractions were 5 mins apart. They started 5mins apart & felt just the same as what she'd told me were bh! Called at about 11 because I knew I'd need her at some point & didn't want her getting too comfy in her bed!
8. Yes, I had 1-to-1 throughout. I also had a student there who was fab! I can't say how grateful I was to her. The 'real' mw started getting more than a little uppity with me because I was struggling to tell when 1 contraction ended & the next started which made monitoring difficult. I also didn't want to be touched & needed to be lying on my side. She got really quite frustrated with this (despite my birth plan clearly stating that I didn't want monitoring!) & eventually announced that we really should think about going to hosp because this baby may not come out alive! Her reasons for this statement seemed a little sketchy & we just got the impression she didn't want to be there. Eventually we allowed her to call an ambulance & the paramedics were on the landing when my perfectly healthy little boy was born!
The 'real' midwife spent most of the time on the phone to her supervisor covering her own back while the student stayed with us. She also did the actual delivery! A second midwife was called when I said I wanted to push but I think she'd only just come in the room when he was born! If that same midwife turned up this time I genuinely wouldn't let her through the door! I'd rather do it entirely alone than with her unhelpful negativity in the room!
Sorry, still get a little emotional about it! If you have any other questions I'm more than happy to share my experience or you could see if your local nct has a group!
Thanks Jojoba, thats really helpful! I am pretty set on this being what I want so just hope there are no complications that might stop it (obviously babys health comes first though)
I did look at the local nct homebirth group but they all seem a litle...woo, iykwim? Suspicious of doctors/hospitals, think that being in them ruins womens instinctive mothering, want to give birth just with chanting/whale music/candles whereas you can see from the questions I'm very keen to find out what drugs you can have!
Wow so interesting to hear about others experiences of homebirth. Even though I don't think its the option for me, still very interesting to read.
I would just like to say, for question #3, that I can vouch for pethidine. I had it at the birthing centre for DD1 and it worked really well for me, when g&a didn't do anything...
How is everyone feeling? Any new symptoms?
I'm been feeling a little bit more tired and nauseous, also a bit constipated, have the chills, and quite bloated.
Has anyone told any family/friends yet?
MrsJLS yea, pethidine is what I'm hoping for - g&a did nothing for me too except made me sick but pethidine let me sleep until the last 10 minutes where my waters broke and DS was out so fx i an have that again!
I'm still so tired but nothing much other than that, occasional waves of nausea and woke up with a sore throat but those I can live through, its being knackered thats hard.
Are you on iron tablets/pregnancy vitamins with iron in?
I have told work - had to, I could barely stand up straight and was slurring with being sleepy so before it looked like I had a massive drink problem, I said that I'm actually pregnant! Also a friend who is also preganant (about 10 weeks i think) and has a DS a month older than mine so we have been whinging together! And my mum.
Have you told anyone?
Join the discussion
Please login first.