Talk

Advanced search

are nct classes a good thing?

(7 Posts)
MissStimpy Fri 23-Oct-09 11:30:50

Hi there. I am having trouble deciding whether or not to sign up for NCT ante natal classes in November (I'm due i January). One of the reasons I'm hesitating is that I don't think my husband will be able to come to many of them. Can anyone advise about this? Are they worth going to and paying for?

Yorky Fri 23-Oct-09 11:40:36

I went before DS, he was born jan 07 and classes started in Nov 06 so same timing as you - do they still have spaces available?
I didn't think they gave much more information than the NHS ones to be honest, although less stressed for time and nicer environment. Felt more able to ask questions etc.
DH only made it to the last class so don't worry about going on your own if you want the information, or take a friend

They really came into their own as a friend thing for me - our babies will be 3 in Jan [shock/scared!] and most of the mums are still having fairly regular meet ups around their work etc. We moved away when DS was 6mo but are still emailed regularly and we see them at least twice a year

passmethegin Fri 23-Oct-09 12:01:32

I would say that if you don't go you're not really missing anything, but at the same time, what have you got to lose? Take your mum or a friend if you think you'll feel awkward on your own.

Agree with what Yorky said re friends. I know many many people who have made great friends through antenatal classes.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 23-Oct-09 12:15:56

Mine were great, there weren't any NHS ones in my town (would have had to travel 15 miles to the nearest ones) and they were very over-subscribed. Still hang out with a couple of the girls from the class (the other two are snotty bitches who are best ignored grin)

One thing I will say, is that some NCT classes don't always explain about intervention during the birth, and some seem very anti-medic. This is just my opinion, based on a lot of threads on here.

Having said that, our teacher was very very good. I'm quite an anxious person, and would never consider having a baby outside a hospital, but she helped me with my birth-plan and suggested things that might help avoid intervention. Had a lovely birth and that, in some part, was down to the information I received at the classes.

Wow, sorry for waffling!

hanaflower Fri 23-Oct-09 12:22:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissStimpy Fri 23-Oct-09 18:59:09

thanking ye all for these replies - very very helpful! miss stimpy

maledetta Fri 06-Nov-09 19:56:32

I'm on my own; I had worried that the NCT class would be full of smug couples. Couples yes, smug no. They're all really nice. There is one other woman who goes on her own, but she does have a partner somewhere.

TBH, I have found them great entertainment. We can't stop giggling.Especially not at the facilitator's bright pink knitted demonstration womb.

Last week was all about interventions. A husband "volunteer" was trussed up like a turkey, covered in clothes pegs with bits of string on them, representing catheters and tubes and the like. I think I felt my pelvic floor go.

Also, if you are poor, you can get huge discounts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now