Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what do i do now?

(8 Posts)
thegauntlet Mon 28-Sep-09 19:31:58

oh Lordy, after mad lack of period since July 16th and about a million tests (neg) I went to the dr about my lack of period today, and he did a test and OMG it was positive, I dont know what to do now. He said to come back when I can with husband when we have taken it all in... but what happens now... what if i have been preg all along? i have been drinking and did a half marathon last weekend....help!

artifarti Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:18

First - relax and breeaaatthhhe! Stop panicking. Lots of people carry on running in early pregnancy - I seem to remember Paula Radcliffe running right up until when she dropped! It's good that you are fit.

Also, lots of people drink before they realise they are pregnant (or carry on anyway) and do all kinds of other things (I went on holiday and covered myself in DEET repellant, unaware of DS's presence! It took a lot of reassurance from the midwife for that one, I can tell you.) I'm sure baby will be fine - but go back to your doctor and talk to him, get reassurance. But honestly, just try and relax.

Oh - and - congratulations! grin

HeadInAWhirl Mon 28-Sep-09 19:49:57

Congratulations!

The half marathon shouldn't have hurt, and the drinking, while not ideal, at least you know now. I have one friend who didn't find out till nearly 20wks and her attitude was the damage is done worrying won't help, her son is now 10 and a pita big healthy boy

I presume you're now waiting for a dating scan

girlsyearapart Mon 28-Sep-09 19:56:11

congratulations!
and well done on the half marathon (incidentally how many k is that?)

THink advice is that if you're already exercising you can continue your normal regime unless its totally nutty or involves stuff like sit ups after certain time.

Come back and tell when you get a due date.

thegauntlet Mon 28-Sep-09 19:58:37

Thanks you folks- and yes, i guess a dating scan is next- and then i have frankly no idea what we are going to do. I have just started a new training job (as a dentist)... and wont get any maternity leave.

artifarti Mon 28-Sep-09 20:05:15

You will cope and all will be fine, one way or another. Honestly. You will still get statutory maternity pay?

Make sure they do a risk assessment for your job too (presumably you will be working with chemicals, x-rays etc.) This will save you any further worry. (It's a pretty standard thing, even with a boring desk-job like mine)

thegauntlet Mon 28-Sep-09 20:14:31

good advice artifarti- thanks, and girlsayearapart I will defo give you a due date...
I sat in the doctors yelling 'Oh my God Oh my GOD oh GOD!' and the doctor told me to pipe down or else he would have the door broken down if his receptionist thought there was something else going on!

Thanks. We will cope.

girlsyearapart Tue 29-Sep-09 19:44:40

When I was pregnant I had just accepted a new job so didn't get maternity pay but claiming SMP was fairly easy. You need to hang on to all your pay slips to send off. I think I got around £400 a month ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now