Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

elective csection on 1st September or 31st August?

(15 Posts)
yentil Fri 31-Jul-09 20:34:10

My consultant plans to conduct my elective c-section (long list of complications) on the 1st September. Would it be terribly irresponsible to request August 31st so that my LO is not the oldest at school. I have always thought being the youngest is best when your a tall child (our children are always off the growth chart by two years old and our 4 year old is the height of a 7 year year old...we are both v.tall)and also that day or two difference means an extra 9 months in nursery (Sept start instead of Previous Jan start) and 9 extra months nursery fee money (which for two struggling working parents is not to be sniffed at).

Please tell me if I have my priorities all wrong. Of course health is the number one priority and with the pregnancy I have had i will be forever grateful that a full term baby is now within sights when not so long ago it was an impossiblity; but would that extra day or two make much difference developmenatlly / ethically even (37+5 as opposed to 38 weeks gestation)?

Rindercella Fri 31-Jul-09 23:44:08

My nearly 2 yr old DD was born 30th Aug (she was due 6th Sept). I would far, far prefer that her birthday was 1st Sept. She's also very tall. My DSS was also a late Aug baby, and he always struggled at school (he is now nearly 19).

It's not just about physical and intellectual development, it's also about their being emotionally ready for school when they can be nearly a year younger than their peers. It's a big decision for you to make, and it's good that you are considering your options.

Good luck with whatever you decide smile

skibelle Sat 01-Aug-09 09:11:23

I appreciate the height issue, but I would go for 1st Sep too. I am a primary sch teacher and don't think you can underestimate the headstart that the September babies get in so many ways. In fact we were super keen for a September babe for this reason but mother nature had other ideas and ours is due Feb! I'm sure I've seen several studies about timing in the academic year, so it might be worth googling?

Good luck either way. I certainly don't think you sound irresponsible whtever you decide!

gigglinggoblin Sat 01-Aug-09 09:13:37

As the mum of a late August baby I would say go for September. Lots of other mums I know have said the same.

Rindercella Sat 01-Aug-09 12:14:41

Btw, my DSS is now 6'5"! He was always one of the tallest in his year, but still struggled because he was also the youngest.

blinder Sat 08-Aug-09 11:55:48

My birthday is Sept 1st! It's a great day for a birthday smile and definitely helped me in school. This LO due Sept 4th and I'm hoping for a Sept birth for her too! Good luck.

happyjules Wed 12-Aug-09 17:32:14

As a mum of a late august and a 1st Sept baby I have a sad fascination with this subject. Dd 1 20th Aug was more than ready for school at just four and has had a wonderful first school report.
Dd2 1st Sept and is very much like her sister but will not have the option of going to school so young. It can influenced by the the childs personality. However this is not an option for you so on the balance of it I would say 1st september. Good luck.

discojen Thu 20-Aug-09 09:42:26

My DD was born 28th August and has had no problems at school (in fact is in the top group in her class). She has always been ahead reading books (further on than some children born in Sep/Oct).
I do agree on the nursery bit too, it seems a hell of a lot of money to shell out, when you could have the baby 1 day earlier and they could be at school.
Good Luck!

VirginiaWoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 09:49:07

Without a doubt, Sept 1st. I say this both as a teacher and parent of a very tall August boy, who I wish with all my heart did not have to start school in 2 weeks time, when he will be the tallest and youngest in his class. There will be plenty of anecdotes from parents of August babes who are doing well at school, but the research indicates that they have it much harder - an educational psychologist friend of mine did her dissertation on this, and she reckons that the effect continues right through school. I understand the money issues re: nursery, I really do, but the effects of that would be for an extra 9 months only.....

VirginiaWoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 09:52:33

Sorry, just read that back and it sounds a tad overly assertive!!!!
Can you guess what's stressing me out at the moment!!!!?
All the best with you new baby anyway.

VirginiaWoolf Thu 20-Aug-09 09:56:23

'your' not 'you' aaargh!

cazzybabs Thu 20-Aug-09 10:02:05

1st sept without a doubt (said as a teacher)

raggie Thu 20-Aug-09 10:02:42

Agree - as another primary school teacher - go for Sept 1st! Echo Rindercella's comments.

Of course it's not true for all children - one of my most able, brightest and loveliest boys last year was an August born, but given the option I know what I would do

TheChewyToffeeMum Thu 20-Aug-09 10:54:21

Will you have a choice though? The way my hospital was organised the consultants have set days for their elective lists (mine was Tuesdays).

fidelma Sat 12-Sep-09 21:15:30

What did you go for I would love to know ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now