Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this normal procedure...?

(5 Posts)
MamaLazarou Tue 30-Jun-09 13:18:25

Just had my 'booking-in' appointment (10 weeks 1 day). The midwife weighed me, took bloods and blood pressure and asked me lots of questions but didn't examine me physically.

I was expecting her to at least have a feel of my belly! I could me making it all up as far as she knows!

Is this normal? My sister says she was examined at the booking-in appt with all 3 of hers.

reikizen Tue 30-Jun-09 13:26:57

There would be no point feeling your belly as the uterus only becomes palpable at around 12 weeks (although everybody is different). Taking your blood pressure and bloods is examining you physically! You could be making it up but she wouldn't be able to tell that by putting her hand on your belly at 10 weeks! It was once usual for women to have a pelvic exam in pregnancy but now (thank god) is no longer considered good practice. If you are worried about anything in particular let her know. Otherwise, we try to treat pregnancy as a normal physiological event and keep interventions to a minimum. smile

MamaLazarou Tue 30-Jun-09 13:34:08

Thanks so much, reikizen - that's put my mind at rest. smile

In 'What To Expect When You Are Expecting' they say that the midwife feels your belly - sometimes with one hand inside the vagina - to check the height of the uterus.

I think I might throw that book away - it's full of lies!

traceybath Tue 30-Jun-09 13:39:38

Golly - if you're in the UK very very unlikely to have any internal examinations.

As Reikizen said she wouldn't palpitate your tummy until past 12 weeks. Some midwifes will listen for heartbat at 12 weeks but many wait until 16 weeks.

MamaLazarou Tue 30-Jun-09 13:40:53

Oh, maybe my sister had a very old-fashioned midwife with each of hers.

I am glad to hear that no-one will be looking up my mimsy til D-Day, though! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now