Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scan at 6 weeks, what can we see?

(13 Posts)
lalatv Tue 12-May-09 19:53:01

hi, i am going for an early scan this thursday as i had 2 previous mcs.....i am also a bit worried as i sometimes have some kind of period pain cramp that last a few minutes and then i am better...can u see a heartbeat at this stage? anybody with pain at this stage?(it is not strong pain, just period pain like iyswim)

BigusBumus Tue 12-May-09 19:56:54

The odd cramp is perfectly normal i think as its just the womb expending / filling with more blood in the tissue.

Scans at 6 weeks can see a heartbeat i think, its just a baked bean shaped blob with a flutter in the middle of it!

(I had a scan at 7.3 and thats what i saw, anyway).

Good luck and congrats!

thisisyesterday Tue 12-May-09 19:58:40

you'll prob just see a little sac with (hopefully) soemthing inside it.
there may or may not be a heartbeat visible. if there is it just looks like a little fluttery thing.

i had lots of cramping and weird pains with all of my pg's, so would imagine that's fine

singalongamumum Tue 12-May-09 19:59:30

Hi lalatv- I have just had a 6 week scan as I had some bleeding. You can barely see anything- a dark shadow which is the sac, a small line which is the baby and a flickering dot which is the heartbeat. It's still amazing though.grin I have also had some period type aches, and also did so in my first pregnancy.

HTH. Good luck, congrats and come on over and join us in the due in Jan 2010 thread if you fancy!

lalatv Tue 12-May-09 20:00:42

thanks all..i am dreading the scan as i wish i could see a heartbeat if not i\ will be worried as it is what happened last time....i went at seven weeks and baby was only 5 weeks! soo worried

lalatv Tue 12-May-09 20:34:54

i wish i could see a hb too singalong!!

lalatv Thu 14-May-09 10:12:00

just came back from hospital...according to scan, i am only 4-5 weeks....i am really distraught...it feels like it is going to be like the previous mc, where they told me to come in 2 weeks time to tell me no growth...

poetry Thu 14-May-09 10:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

poetry Thu 14-May-09 10:17:34

lalatv Thu 14-May-09 10:31:30

no heartbeat, no embryo

poetry Thu 14-May-09 10:38:13

censu Thu 25-Jun-09 16:34:24

Hi, I went for an early pregnancy scan this wednesday and my husband and I knew we could see a kind of black blob in a sac shape but the nurse said she couldnt be sure it was anything. Saw the doc he said I needed blood test, did one that day and he phoned to say after looking at my scan and the fact I have high hormone level in my blood, the scan doesnt match and they should have been able to see more. Been told not likely a healthy pregnancy. Cant believe they are writing me off, ive had no bleeding but lots of period like cramps. Anyone have this problem?

KnackeredOldHag Wed 15-Jul-09 00:05:18

I had a scan at 4 weeks (was seeing gynecologist for something else - was the absolute best way to find out about pregnancy). All we could see at 4 weeks was a teeny, tiny little bean. At 7 weeks with an internal scan (i.e. via your personal bits which is not the most pleasant experience) he could pick up a nice detailed picture and a heart-beat. I remember him saying at the time though that the possibility to detect a heartbeat was not reliable till about 8-9 weeks.

FWIW I had heavy bleeding in both my pregnancies, to the point where in my second my trousers were soaked in blood in seconds and there were large clots (12 weeks). I never had a miscarriage though. I just wanted to let you know that even with bleeding it is still possible to carry to term and have a healthy baby (or two in my case).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now