Talk

Advanced search

NCT refresher courses

(24 Posts)
tew Wed 06-Apr-05 11:41:22

Has anyone experienced these? Have 7 month old, and due again end of Oct. I want to join a class to meet other 2nd time mothers in SW19, but don't really need to know all about pain relief etc, as experienced it all too recently!

Are they worth doing, or waste of time? Thx.

SoupDragon Wed 06-Apr-05 11:44:07

I did these and they were great because they were tailored to our experiences and what we wanted to do differently this time.

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 11:49:37

Thx Soupdragon, and assume they were all second/third time mothers?

SoupDragon Wed 06-Apr-05 11:50:37

2 x 2nd time, 1 x 3rd.

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 11:53:00

Thx, and how many refresher classes were there?

Pamina3 Wed 06-Apr-05 11:55:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Wed 06-Apr-05 11:57:40

The classes really depend on your branch. Mine were 4 x 2 hour evening sessions.

fisil Wed 06-Apr-05 11:59:24

I wanted to do them, tew. I signed up as soon as I reached 13 weeks, and the best they could offer was the week of my due date - so I decided to decline. However, I did have a phone call last week saying that they hadn't filled my space and did I still want it - so if you fancy a course in the end of April, I know they have space. Our branch apparently has the highest birthrate in Europe, which is why it is so hard to get in, I guess!

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 12:03:44

Where do you live Pamina3, have you done the Sue Lewis exercise class for new mums which is great?

Thx for advice, will get registered now. Always rather worried about signing up to these kind of things until 12 weeks, but 11 weeks tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Pamina3 Wed 06-Apr-05 12:07:05

fisil Wed 06-Apr-05 12:08:24

I don't know about the Sue Lewis classes - sound good though. Can you tell me more?

How you doing, pamina?

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 12:08:41

Yes they are, and I made some lovely friends with my first. Problem was I enjoyed the chat more than the exercise, but will definitely do the classes again.

I love living in Wimbledon, very friendly and lots of us mothers around!

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 12:11:57

Sue Lewis classes are great. Run out of St Mary's Church hall, SW19, she is a trained obsteriapath and psyiotherapist (sorry about spelling!) I started doing the classes when dg was only 3 weeks old. She employs girls to look after the babies in the next door room, they can give the babies a bottle if nec, a cuddle, a walk or anything they need.

Found it was a great way of having to get out of the house on time, and although the classes get more difficult, I found that chat, and people sharing their experiences invaluable.

Fisil, do you live in SW19 too?

Pamina3 Wed 06-Apr-05 12:15:30

Metrobaby Wed 06-Apr-05 12:49:02

I found the refresher NCT courses great. I didn't go to NCT classes for my first pg, so can't really compare, but that said I thought the refresher classes were much better than the NHS ones that I had attended before.

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 13:04:29

Pamina, live off Woodside between town and the village, moved there in December, and very happy. Took a year to find the right house though!

Pamina3 Wed 06-Apr-05 14:11:30

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 16:19:26

Pamina, how old is your first child? Always like meeting other mothers in Wimbledon if you're interested. Off on holiday tomorrow for ten days but maybe when we get back?

Pamina3 Wed 06-Apr-05 16:23:21

tew Wed 06-Apr-05 16:27:07

Would love to do a general meet up, I work Mon, Tues and Weds - so may have to wait till June! Can't believe I didn't know about this website the first time round, would have helped fill in those hours between 5am and the rest of the world waking up, when I was always awake!

bonym Wed 06-Apr-05 18:36:44

Dh & I went to these and they were pretty good - the teacher asked us what we wanted to cover and there were just 3 couples - we spent a lot of time discussing pain management techniques and how best our partners could support us in labour. We had 2 evening sessions and were going to have a daytime session for women only but I gave birth a week early so this was cancelled!

bonym Wed 06-Apr-05 18:37:57

When I say "these" I mean NCT refreshers not the specific ones others have been discussing (I must read whole thread before posting!)

dangirl Thu 21-Apr-05 22:13:05

this thread is a bit old but -
does anyone know if there are any refresher courses in Chiswick?
Would like to join if not too late - am now 11 weeks.

Beckymumof3 Sat 23-Apr-05 09:01:24

Hi there,

If you go to www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com and click on 'antenatal classes' you should be able to get info from your local branch bookings clerk who would be able to tell you what is available. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now