Bluemint – 25 April
fisil - 26 April
miranda2 - 28 April
Shrub – 28 April
Hanlou007 – 28 April
Raindog – 30 April
Leggymamba – 30 April

alux Tue 05-Apr-05 09:21:50

for the past 3 mornings I have been wide awake at 3 am and not being able to go back to sleep. Normally I will sleep for England. Apologies to anyone who can hardly keep their heads down these days. Anyone else having this?

It's not from aches and pains, or worries and I don't even think excitement as I think I am being too laid back for a 1st timer.

Could it be that I am just not used to having mat lv (don't have this problem during normal holidays) or is it something to do with late pg? I'm 37 wks now.

Roobie Tue 05-Apr-05 09:35:53

I can't sleep either alux - nothing particularly to do with the discomfort of the huge bump or excitement either...just can't seem to drop off. I spend virtually the whole night from about 2am either reading in the sitting room, lying on the sofa or on the PC. I don't seem to sleep much during the day either and don't actually feel that bad for some strange reason.

How's it going with the new babies (Gem, Seabird, Latwinkle, Kelly etc) - are you starting a thread in the post-natal section? Alternatively, when you have time please do keep us posted on how you are doing on here and then we could start a post-natal thread once everyone has popped (could get a bit lonely on here towards the end of April otherwise!)

alux Tue 05-Apr-05 09:39:38

Yeh Roobie, I don't want me and about 3 other people sat here waiting for us to all pop. Please don't desert us.

I don't feel bad for the lack of sleep either. Yesterday I did not take a nap all day, went to an aquarobics lesson and then went shopping hopefully to tire myself out and get a good night's sleep but was still awake at 3. Admittedly, feeling a bit sleepy today though.

Verso Tue 05-Apr-05 10:05:28

I've been having trouble staying asleep for weeks now, Alux. It started because I was getting pelvic pains every time I turned over in bed, so I ended up being awake from about 3am-4:30am most mornings. Now it just seems to have 'stuck' as a pattern, any time from 1am-4am I wake up and then am up for a couple of hours.

Doesn't help that DH is a seriously early riser (5:30am) so if I'm up beyond 4:30am I usually don't bother going back to bed as I'll get woken up soon enough anyway. It's so nice being on maternity leave at last because I can actually catch up with sleep if I want to during the day! I was seriously knackered the last few weeks of work.

People keep telling me "oh it's just your body preparing for the sleepless nights ahead" which may be so, but it isn't especially helpful!! I'd prefer to be well-rested before the baby arrives! (and from what I hear it's really common at this stage in pregnancy)

Verso Tue 05-Apr-05 10:07:38

P.S. Forgot to say I think the post-natal thread idea is great, Roobie. Thanks for suggesting it!

mummydreamer Tue 05-Apr-05 10:08:52

Having disappeared from the thread for 48 hours, I am thrilled to let you know that we have a baby boy, Seth Downey, born at home yesterday morning at 9.20am. We are absolutely smitten already, as is his older sister and I will get around to putting a birth announcement eventually. Good luck everyone x

starshaker Tue 05-Apr-05 10:14:21

congratulations mummydreamer

alux Tue 05-Apr-05 10:14:51

AHHHH. Well done mummy dreamer. and welcome Seth.

Raindog Tue 05-Apr-05 12:29:35

Congratulations Mummydreamer and welcome little Seth! Lovely news!

alux Tue 05-Apr-05 12:46:14

The m/w left 2 hrs ago. We discussed the birth plan. Confirmed that baby has dropped 'very low' and wrote 2/5 in my notes. Is she erring on the side of caution or is that quite low? As she also said she thinks I could go into labour from any point onwards. I don't mind as I'm as ready as I will ever be. Haven't packed my hospital bag yet but sussed out with her that I have all I need. I'm addicted bit of procrastination and scramble at the end of everything I do.

I asked about size and she said at delivery she is expecting to see 6lbs 12 oz to 7 lbs. All I have gained is a 'neat' bump, as other people tell me, and swelly legs and feet.

Kelly1978 Tue 05-Apr-05 13:33:47

Congratulations mummydreamer, and to the other new mums. The twins are keeping my hands really full at the mo, but it's great to hear of more arrivals.

Merlin Tue 05-Apr-05 13:40:32

Congrats Mummydreamer - a big welcome to little Seth! Hope you are both doing well.

Verso Tue 05-Apr-05 13:59:39

Congratulations, Mummydreamer!

Roobie Tue 05-Apr-05 15:18:41

Well done Mummydreamer......what with all these lovely home births I'm starting to feel a bit jealous that I didn't opt for one now!

Alux - I think 2/5 is virtually fully engaged isn't it? At my appointment yesterday I was only 4/5 engaged (no surprise as this is my second)/

leander Tue 05-Apr-05 15:21:24

congratulations mummydreamer and welcome baby Seth xxx

motherpeculiar Tue 05-Apr-05 15:28:05

Big congrats to you Mummydreamer and welcome to baby Seth. That's a great name you've chosen. Looking forward to reading all about it once you find time to catch your breath!

well done

lemonsquash Tue 05-Apr-05 16:40:13

congratulations Mummydreamer on baby Seth !
Have just got back from hosp 41 week appt and am in shock as (naively I guess) I thought all dr would do was discuss induction and book me in, which they have done, for Sunday. However, had a stretch and sweep as well! Now feeling v uncomfortable and also a bit emotional as suddenly its all v real. At least I wasn't expecting it so didn't have time to get stressed about it tho ( I am a major wimp and hate internals). Hope it will kick things off before Sunday as I have been niggling pains for almost a week now and am a bit scared of induction to be honest.
Alux - I was also 2/5 engaged for the last 2 weeks, the dr said if I went anymore I prob wouldn't be able to walk - it's my first too.

alux Tue 05-Apr-05 17:11:10

Thanks lemonsquash. I figured myself that it could be anytime from now till, well, 42 wks LOL.

I am so pleased she has dropped lower as at least my legs & feet aren't as swollen anymore, got my stomach space back and can move around fairly comfortably. I was thinking for a while that things could only get worse in the comfort department.

I am banking on my due date, being the full moon, will help to kick things off. (Anyone think I am a bit of a granola?)

Merlin Tue 05-Apr-05 20:04:21

Evening everyone. Just spent some time at hospital being monitored - had felt very little movement today and was a bit worried. All OK, had a very strong BH while there (or baby's bum sticking out said the M/W!). Looked quite scary on the printout. M/W was miserable as sin though, didn't even bother reading my notes and the printout in the machine got stuck twice, AND she offered me a glass of water which never arrived!!! Glad I'm going to a different hospital for the birth!!! On my way out, there was a girl coming in obviously in early labour making very slow progress down the corridor to maternity, in floods of tears and very real pain - hope she didn't get the miserable M/W!!!

Anyway, got reflexology tomorrow morning, so have told DH to be ready to drop everything and get home quick is necessary!!! Hope everyone is feeling OK - not long to go.

anorak Tue 05-Apr-05 20:10:01

Hello...not pg myself just butting in to wish you all the best especially Delgirl, who is the most lovely lady who deserves a beautiful bouncing baby to love

doobsy Tue 05-Apr-05 20:26:13

hello, i hope everyone is well.
I was at the hospital for my check up today and was told if i havent given birth by monday then they are taking me in to induce me. ( more notice than last time though they induced me with my first and told me to come back that evening) SO very nervous now and hoping to go on my own rather than having to be taken in.

DelGirl Tue 05-Apr-05 23:31:24

Awww shucks Anorak

Congratulations Mummydreamer on the birth of little Seth. Look forward to hearing your story too.

Shame for all of you that aren't able to sleep. I'm ok once I get off to sleep but it takes me ages to drop off now with my head in a whirl all the time and the baby kicking for England.

Merlin, sorry about your experience earlier, glad everything is ok. Who was the horrible m/w, do you know? Btw, the m/w I saw yesterday was Mary, tallish lady with short hair and glasses, in her very late 40's prob 50's i'd say. And the consultant was Mr Ismail I think. Hope you enjoy the reflexology and it gets things going. Are you going to the one mentioned? I might book in for next week.

Well had quite a nice day although I felt pretty rotten this afternoon so took myself off to bed for the afternoon and then had a good evening with friends. 6 of us eating domino's pizza followed by chocolate. Hope to do it again before this baby arrives but not convinced he/she is going to hang around. We all took bets on what date I deliver and the sex and weight he/she will be. No prize as yet but suspect it will be alcoholic.

Verso Wed 06-Apr-05 03:18:03

Well - here I am at 3am. Back to the usual pattern it seems! I'll pop back later and see if there are any other insomniacs around.

Oh, btw - had a classic conversation with an old friend last night. She has a tendency to be a rather "glass is half-empty" kind of person, and when you add that to her abject horror of people reproducing, you can probably imagine.

When I first told her I was pg last year, her reaction was, "well, you're very brave, given the high risks of genetic disorders at your age. I wouldn't do it."

(I'm 34 btw.)

Then last night I was chatting about the immensity of the life change ahead blah blah and how it's impossible to really know how it will be once the baby is here, and how that's scary sometimes but also exciting, and she says, "well yes, if you will leave having children so late it does make everything much more difficult".

Strangely enough, I have to say I haven't seen as much of her recently as I did before I was pg!

(and before you ask, my other friends - with and without children - are lovely! )

strawberry Wed 06-Apr-05 12:14:41

Congratulations mummydreamer and welcome Seth!

I have been in hosp but no baby yet. I was having contractions every 5 mins on Monday night and all looked good on the monitor in hosp. But when they examined me there was nothing happening at the action end - very disapponiting.
They kept me in and the next morning said the cervix was beginning to thin. So hopefully soon.

Verso - It's stressful enough without those little comments people make isn't it? Have you tried lavender to help with sleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now