Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnant in Malta

(13 Posts)
helsbels2007 Sun 23-Nov-08 12:34:27

hi there - is anyone else out there pregnant in Malta? I'm 9 weeks and am starting to think about the realities of having a baby away from my family (they're in the UK) so would love to hear from anyone about to take the plunge into motherhood for a bit of moral support!!!!

Morlilla Thu 04-Dec-08 16:38:52

Hi. Are you still in Malta? I am moving over in a few weeks and I'm in a position almost like you. Do you want to chat? /victoria

helsbels2007 Thu 18-Dec-08 15:23:59

hello! great to hear from you. Am now 12 weeks, very hormonal and panicking about how am going to cope with no parents around the thing is that most maltese women will have a largish extended family close by so don't have such a need for a post natal group, or at least I haven't come across one yet..... where are you moving to and why???

cait09 Tue 10-Feb-09 09:40:59

Hiya,

I am nearly 11 weeks pregnant and in the same boat. Not really sure how things work over hear and think I am going to find it difficult not having my parents a hand for support. I have a close group of friends even though we have only been here 10ish months but I am the first to have a baby. Would love to get to know some other people in the same boat, not sure where you live in Malta (I live in Sliema) but if you fancy meeting for a coffee and discussing experiences so far just let me know. I have been looking all over the internet and it's really hard to find support groups etc over here (I guess like you said as most people here have large families)so would love to get to know other mums to be. x

helsbels2007 Tue 17-Feb-09 20:25:44

hi cait, good to hear from you. I live in xemxija, but I work near sliema so will be easy to meet up. I've just started antenatal yoga (ommmmmm) and there are some nice people going, so i'm feeling like I might manage not to be norma-no-mates stuck in the house post birth still not that easy to find things like mother and baby groups though. my mobile is 99049327 if you want to call or drop me a text and we can try to get together. hope to talk to you shortly
helen

LittleJ79 Sat 18-Dec-10 22:50:49

Hi there. Are you still in Malta? I would love to hear your experience of having a baby in Malta. I can't decide between St James or Mater Dei. Would love any advice!

jinglebellssantasmells Tue 04-Jan-11 12:50:17

hi there just wanted to say hello, i live in england but used to live in malta and all my family live there, im always coming over usuallly about 3 times a year, i think your rite tho there doesnt seem to be many ante-natal classes or post baby classes which is a shame, ive been trying to get my DP to move there with me for the last year but no joy, expecting baby no2 now and 20 wks pg so he will prob end up saying no next year to

Leilababyno1 Wed 05-Jan-11 21:32:25

Hi there,

I feel for you all. I use to live in Malta (now live in London), and grew up there from age 8-18..I am not Maltese though, my family moved there when I was young due to work commitments. I am now pregnant with my first baby and couldn't imagine being pregnant in Malta. Unfortunately, there just isn't the same support network there for mums...as you have all been saying most people massively rely on their families.

Have any of you tried looking for The La Leche League, they are an international breatfeeding organisation- and might have a group set up in Malta?? Or alternatively I would recommend starting an antenatal group yourselves- it might really catch on! Either way, I wish you all loads of luck and best wishes. Malta can be tough sometimes, but stick together and you'll be fine! X

JuliainMalta Mon 27-Oct-14 20:56:32

Hello everyone,

I am also on the same boat. Only 7 weeks pregnant and literally just landed in Malta. It will be great to meet people and specially others in the same situation.
It would be great to meet you all, we should create a group and perhaps meet on a weekly basis?
We could find a place in Sliema or St Julians and get started?! What do you all think?

smile

xxx

JuliainMalta Mon 27-Oct-14 20:57:23

oh sad.. just saw the dates. the website is really old.
shame

bagofsnakes Tue 28-Oct-14 18:02:25

On the plus side JuliainMalta you've just bumped the thread and so maybe people who are in Malta and pregnant now will see it. I'll help you keep it on the first page for a while to give people out there a chance.

I'm not in Malta (although I have been many times and I love it, we had an extended family holiday out there in May, such a beautiful place) but I did have my first child when I was living abroad and so I can completely empathise with your situation. I remember feeling pretty lonely and sad that I was going through my first pregnancy and birth without my family and close friends. Of course, it all worked out well and it certainly made me and my OH closer.

Hoping someone in Malta turns up soon x

Magdaso Wed 25-Mar-15 08:24:32

Hi Julia,

I came across your post. I am 6 months pregnant and live in Sliema. I am in a similar boat like you. I am not sure what your situation is now, but let me know if you would like to meet up for a coffee one day. :-)

Magda

eliseelliott Fri 22-May-15 16:25:07

Hi Magda and Julia,

I've just come across your post and, while I see its a good few months old now, I'm hoping you might still be around! My partner and I moved from the UK in Oct 14 and my daughter is now almost 6 months old.

We live in Bahar ic-Caghaq but can easily get to Sliema/St Jullians if you're still keen to start some kind of group?

Hope to hear from one or both of you!
Elise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now