Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due Sept 2005 - Thread 3

(296 Posts)
franch Tue 22-Feb-05 13:58:42

here we go

franch Tue 22-Feb-05 14:10:08

pooka, nably & diane - so glad to hear about your happy scans Tallbird, good luck for yours tomorrow

I'm another of the crazy house-movers - and we haven't even got ours on the market yet as DH is currently concentrating on a humungous life-changing job application - eek. We know someone who's interested in doing a private sale with us though, so fingers crossed that works out. I think we're going to have to rent for a bit because it'll be a while before DH hears about this job, and the place we're in now is TOTALLY unsuitable for a pg mum + hefty non-walking 13mo - never mind mum + 19mo + newborn. We're in a small 2nd-floor flat with loads of steps up to the front door - need I say more?

mummyhill - have you tried those spike things that you can strap on to normal boots or shoes? I bought some last time I was pg and they're not bad for grippiness.

PC, so sorry to hear your sickness hasn't gone yet but it does sound like its on its way - I'm at the same stage really. For the past several days I've alternated good days with bad, but even the bad days weren't as bad as before - generally puking only once - UNTIL YESTERDAY, which was horrendous - I was on my own all day with DD for the first time in ages and vomited FIVE TIMES - felt absolutely DEAD and collapsed into bed about 15 mins after she did. SO disappointed after so much improvement, but too tired even to cry On the upside, Mum is back in town this afternoon and is coming straight over - and I haven't been sick yet today although I feel pretty dodgy.

Re. prams etc., the current consensus on double buggies seems to be to get a Phil & Ted's - anyone getting/got one? Haven't looked into other options yet. Kind of hoping it might be a boy so that I have extra clothes shopping to do .....

zubb Tue 22-Feb-05 14:14:07

I avoid double buggies! Ds1 was 22 months when ds2 arrived and had to walk everywhere, or perch on the end of the pushchair if really tired. Ds2 will have to do the same - he'll be 22 months as well. Never had a problem with ds1, he used to regularly walk before that so I didn't see the need for a double for those occasional times when he needed it.
Would have gone for a tandem though rather than a side-by-side as wouldn't have been able to get it through the door!

franch Tue 22-Feb-05 14:16:55

zubb, how long had your ds been walking? I'm not confident that DD will be able to manage because she won't have been walking all that long - 13mo and still happy just to cruise - needs a LOT of persuasion even to walk a few steps with her little trolley!

Sallie Tue 22-Feb-05 14:37:56

I have a mountain buggy double urban and love it! My ds was only 17.5 months when dd arrived so still needed to go in the pram from time to time even though he could walk well. Although they are pricey, it was worth every penny for us. I used it constantly last summer during my maternity leave and still use it on the weekends and on the day I don't work. Its a side by side but is narrow and goes through most doors. Both my dd and ds like to see where they are going and also like to sit next to each other so its perfect. Only other downside is that although it folds flat, it is still quite bulky so you need a big car boot to lug it around!

PiccadillyCircus Tue 22-Feb-05 14:40:41

DS started walking at the weekend . I don't know what I'm going to do on the buggy front (DS will be 22 months when smallest one comes along, like Zubb's DS2). DH likes the idea of a red three-wheeler ie the Mothercare Urban Detour one. I quite like the idea of a Phil and Ted one, but of course there is always the money issue....

Have only been sick once so far, but not convinced my lunch is going to stay down. I will be better soon, I am determined

PiccadillyCircus Tue 22-Feb-05 14:42:00

Oh and franch DS is 15 months today. Has taken him so long from crusing (9 months). Think it's because he loves crawling and is very effecient at it .

jessysmummy Tue 22-Feb-05 14:42:30

Hi all!
Have just spent the last 2.5 hours reading some of your other threads and thought I'd better let you know a bit about me since I feel like I know so much about you lovely ladies. Feel free to fast forward...
11+wks into 2nd pregnancy - dd 13mths
Feeling pooh mostly, though suffered all the way through last time - sympathy to PiccadillyCircus et al also suffering. When I first found out I was pg again I did worry that I hadn't been sick. Now making up for it as am off work doing more valuable things like catching up with MN!
I was so sorry to read the news from Decaf and Sarabee . I've had so many friends who this has happened to, I'm just so desparate to get my scan (15/3 seems a lifetime away) over with so I know that all's ok. Don't think it will seem real until then.
So glad all the scans seem to be going well so far
I too am interested in the double buggy thing. Has anyone else had much experience? As dd1 will be only 19mths when d?2 arrives don't think she will take too kindly to being dragged everywhere, although she is walking at the moment. What's everyone's opinions on twin buggies vs tandem buggies?

Sallie Tue 22-Feb-05 14:47:25

I know people with tandems who've said they are harder to manouvre than side by side. The mountain buggy double is very easy to manouvre but I am very very biased. Think its the best ever baby purchase we made. DS (now 2.5) still likes to sit in it when he gets tired when we are out and about. Not sure what he is going to think when no 3 arrives!

jessysmummy Tue 22-Feb-05 15:09:55

Suppose the thing about a twin buggy is that the children can sit side by side and both get to see where they're going. The mountain buggy does look lovely but soooooo expensive. DH had to get a Jane Powertrack for dd1 (disc brakes, suspension...it's a man thing) and I really struggled with the cost of that! I've seen the mothercare urban detour one too and thought it might be ok as a relatively inexpensive choice, unless anyone knows any better?

andif Tue 22-Feb-05 15:13:12

Just a quick one as will be late for school pickup! Looks like I really started something with the prams issue!! A very good friend has a Phil & Teds and loves it - not suitable for me though. She got a friend to bring it over from the US as it was a lot cheaper there. I'm looking at the Quinny zubb - anyone with any experience?

zubb Tue 22-Feb-05 15:17:53

Franch ds1 walked at 12 months, and ds2 at 13.5 months. By 22 months ds1 was able to walk well and was used to it - although he didn't really have a choice. If dh was around and it was a long walk then he would put him on his shoulders, but we very rarely used a buggy for him after ds2 was born. Now he's 3 he tends to ride his bike everywhere!

I know most people would buy a double buggy for 2 under 2 - but it depends on how much walking you will be doing when they are little - and how much of a cruel mummy you are . When I am on maternity leave ds1 and ds2 will still be going to pre-school / childminder so during the day it will just be me and baby, and at weekends dh will be around if ds2 gets tired.

zubb Tue 22-Feb-05 15:20:56

No experience with pushchairs really - we have an urban detour three wheeler from Mothercare that we got for ds1 and is still going strong. The only other thing we have is a cheap mothercare buggy for when we don't have enough space in the boot for the big pushchair. Never been into them at all - in fact my sister bought us the urban detour so never even looked for ds1!

maretta Tue 22-Feb-05 15:36:49

Congratulations on all the successful scans. Apart from poor yingers, sarahbee and decaf, we're all doing so well - although I do wonder about people who haven't posted since January?

We bought a Baby Confort travel system which I wouldn't recommend. It's very luxurious for the baby but is so heavy it should come with power steering.

It's such a shame babies aren't born three or four months old then a reasonably decent buggy would be all you need.

Was anyone pleased with their travel system? Everyone I know seems to have at least two push chairs/buggies.

zubb Tue 22-Feb-05 16:09:49

maretta - I have never had a travel system so can't comment on them. We just use the one pushchair from birth - but then I have big babies (ds2 was 9lb9) so they are more like 3 month olds the only thing I don't like is that you can't see their faces at first as they are forward facing, but i'd rather that than buy another.

andif Tue 22-Feb-05 16:39:16

I definitely want something with a removable carrycot - so much easier for carting baby into house/friends without bringing whole pushchair inside. Also want baby to be able to lie completely flat, and needs to fold smallish to share boot of car with dog, AND needs to be able to cope off road in Richmond Park - not asking much, am I? (It would be good if it looked good and wasn't expensive too - is all this possible, or should I make my fortune and invent one myself!!)

Think better to buy one that's more expensive, than end up (as previously) with about three to do all the different jobs!!

jessysmummy Tue 22-Feb-05 16:55:28

Andif - have you had a look at the Jane powertrack 360? I got this for dd1. It's a 3 wheeler but has the option of fixed or swivel front wheel - good for "off-road" as well as shopping. Very easy to manoevre and the wheels snap on and off really easy if you need to store it in a small space. It also comes with the option of the "matrix" carrycot that goes straight into the car so baby can lie flat and then converts to a carseat when baby is bigger. I only got the rebel carseat but wish I'd got the matrix instead.

andif Tue 22-Feb-05 18:41:40

Thanks for that! I will have a look. The joys of being able to post at this time, leaving my two in the bath unattended - I'm sure everyone else is fighting with toddlers!!
Not smug at all as sure a fight is about to break out (as always with 2 boys!)

milward Tue 22-Feb-05 19:32:34

Maretta the travel system I have is maxi-cosi. The car seat can be clipped onto the pushchair frame of a maxi-taxi or Quinny. I have a maxi-taxi - very light weight and easy to carry when folded. Am thinking about a tandem pushchair as I do lots of walking.

pooka Tue 22-Feb-05 20:43:27

Hi there Jessysmummy. Sorry you're not feeling too well - hopefully should pass soon.

Good luck for tomorrow Tallbird. Sending you positive vibes

I'm hoping to get away with a buggy board for dd - she's not a real buggy lover atm anyway.

We're moving house at the end of March, so it seems like lots of us are on the move at the moment. Hopefully there'll be plenty of time to settle in and nest. With me, it's a bit different because we're actually buying my mother's house (my childhood home, I was born there) so while I'm excited, it's not a step into the unknown (which has it's good and bad points).

Have just eaten a whole packet of digestive biscuits dipped in decaf tea (sugared). Oh dear - am making up for major sickness yesterday evening!

PiccadillyCircus Wed 23-Feb-05 09:00:41

The people we're buying from suggested moving on March 4th .

Really don't think we can do that as (a) it is very soon, (b) we are not ready to move in any way at all (c) it is my scan that day.

But anyway, it is good to know we will move soon, and looks like being before Easter .

Time to work hard as this is my last day this week (DS and I are off to Liverpool tomorrow to see my family (and tell them about smallest one as well).)

Hope it doesn't snow....

jessysmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 09:14:49

Morning all!
Weather up here (Liverpoool) hasn't been too bad, PiccadillyCircus. Hardly any snow at all, though tomorrow is supposed to be quite bad. DH is from Yorkshire and always complains that I "dragged" him over here because we "never have any weather"!
Pooka, PiccadillyCircus and everyone else on the move - I think you all are very very brave moving while you are pregnant...or is it just a cunning plan to make sure everyone else does all the work???good luck to you

pooka Wed 23-Feb-05 09:24:40

Cunning plan

jessysmummy Wed 23-Feb-05 09:37:07

Ha Ha! good for you Pooka! Maybe I should do a bit of house shopping??? [evil emoticon]!

PiccadillyCircus Wed 23-Feb-05 09:41:59

Move was plannned and then small one happened .

There's hardly ever any snow in Liverpool (or there wasn't when I was little anyway). I remember big snow when I was about 5 (nearly 25 years ago).

My parents are half way between Liverpool and Southport (but just in Merseyside ).

My work is not fun (but I am feeling much more alive than I have done the past few weeks )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now