Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 - the one where we wonder what are our bodies going to do next?

(1003 Posts)
rosmerta Wed 13-Aug-08 12:00:54

Sorry for rubbish title, best I could do

zoejeanne Wed 13-Aug-08 12:05:27

Well done Rosmerta - that was close!! Which thread is this one - 4th? 5th? I've lost track. And I'm wondering what my body is going to do next as well. With all these thoughts in my head, I'm not doing much work!

JamInMyWellies Wed 13-Aug-08 12:06:52

Good title Rosmerta.

Veggiemummy Wed 13-Aug-08 12:19:08

i like the title, even though this is no.2 i still don't know what symptom or occurrence is gonna pop up next

SummerLightning Wed 13-Aug-08 12:25:39

rosmerta good thread title...it it a bit unnerving to think what weirdness could happen next!

jj you live right near me!! I live far side of mill road too, on mill rd, between hobart rd and madras...(right out near ring road). Maybe we should meet for a drink...my pg friend who is 3 weeks ahead of me lives on Hemingford rd, we could have a pg ladies meet up! And I am indeed named after the beer they serve in the Kingston. (think it is hopback not adnams though...it is yum). My name is also very appropriate to this years weather!! Are you doing any pg related stuff in the area, yoga, aquanatal, etc? I have been going to yoga in granchester on a Mon which is very good...

veggie if you really want to cycle have you thought about putting higher rise handlebars on your bike/ a higher rise stem on? You may be able to make the geometry more upright so that it's more comfy. My road racing bike is no longer comfortable so that is gathering dust (I have too many bikes, I am a bike geek grin) Just a thought really as you probably won't be able to be bothered!

LadyThompson Wed 13-Aug-08 12:27:29

Gosh, we filled that one up quickly. I just posted a long post at the end of the old thread, like a loon.

I also meant to say to Effie that I sympathise about the potential cleft lip because earlier on in my pregnancy when there was all that talk about no nasal bone, now behind us of course as she's grown one, we had serious conversations with the obstetrician about the possibilities, which would have basically been facial reconstructive operations from babyhood through to adulthood. Obviously we were concerned about this but I think ultimately we were just relieved that she was chromosomally normal. Anyway, good luck for the scan in a couple of weeks.

Pixsix, are you ok now?

Veggiemummy Wed 13-Aug-08 12:30:34

oh looks like you started the new thread just in the nick of time Rosmerta.

Did tara lee DVD this morning, feels nice but a bit too relaxed now, DS happy just playing with his toys now he is back from Nursery but i really should get us out today.

DH & I had an ahhhh family moment the other day, all three of us were in bed yesterday morning when DS put his head on my belly and said hello baby i love you, can't wait to see you. It was soooooo sweet, still not entirely sure if he understands the whole thing but he is still so lovely about it.

I think we have found the IM's that we like it is a couple of midwives in nottingham who will travel over to see us, one is from Australia, Brisbane where DH is from which is good. They also have a birth pool as part of the deal and 2 pregnancy massages included, as well as a monthly home birth support group where i can meet some other mums in the area and also all the independent midwives in the area come to it as if necessary they cover each other so will get to know them. Not sure whether is should go to my next NHS appointment or just leave it the IM to tell them which she said she would do.

SummerLightning Wed 13-Aug-08 12:36:32

awww veggie that is very cute!!

good news on the midwives, that sounds really great!

pixsix Wed 13-Aug-08 12:45:13

LT I'm fine now, thanks! I saw the GP yesterday who has persuaded me that the best thing to do is to relax and stop worrying as far as possible but be prepared to go straight to the Antenatal Day Unit if I have any more bleeding or any pain or if I don't feel 10 separate movements between 9am and 9pm. I've started to take my notes with me whenever I'm not near the flat just in case I have to head to St Thomas' which is strangely reassuring although a bit annoying to always have a bigger bag with me!

I saw your other thread about your DP telling his sister your baby name and I really sympathise with your irritation. I don't want anyone to know what we are planning to call our baby until it's our baby's name IYKWIM. I would be just as irritated as you if it was given away early (not that we've actually managed to firmly agree on any names yet!)

veggie your family moment brought a tear to my eye! I can't wait for dh and I to be a proper family with our lo.

summer and jj, I used to live in Cambridge, at the same end of Mill Rd as you, and spent many a drunken happy evening in the Kingston. Your chat is making me very nostalgic!

Veggiemummy Wed 13-Aug-08 12:59:58

Pixstix your gp seems very good, great that they actually listened to you and didn't just fob you off.

pixsix Wed 13-Aug-08 13:20:18

veggie yes, she is lovely. I feel very lucky. She listened to everything and was very understanding and she found the baby's heartbeat on the doppler to reassure me too. I even said that I hoped she didn't feel I was wasting her time and she replied that IHO it was always better to get things checked than to worry. I think I've been lucky with all the people I've seen during my pregnancy, especially having read some of the stories on here about health care people who are less than sympathetic.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 13:25:28

Veggie - that is v sweet of your DS . We're still at the stage of persuading him to gently stroke the bump rather than prod it saying 'bibi in dere!' We've bought him 'There's a house inside my mummy' which he quite likes.

Bit mis here as took DS to the nurse today and she reckons he has Hand, Foot & Mouth [yuck], which would explain his general tetchiness and non-sleeping. He has blisters in his mouth which means he doesn't want to eat anything, keeps saying sadly that it hurts sad. Oh well, CM says I can still palm him off on her tomorrow... such a bad mother I am (will be a relief to do some work!)

mibbes Wed 13-Aug-08 13:31:00

rosmerta thanks for the new thread and good title - my body changes on an almost daily basis at the moment !

Beans LOL at you being excited about seeing the bottom of your belly button ! and grrr at your sister.. how rude ! It is exciting news.

Purple Good luck with scan.

pixsix great news that all is well and GP is so understanding.

Veggie aaah bless your DS, how sweet ! I did Erin last night and plan to do Tara tonight wink

Oh and same here, my baby gets stage fright whenever DP put his hands on the bump - poor DP is quite frustrated by it.

I'm starting ML at 39 weeks with 2.5 weeks hol beforehand, am counting down the weeks ! smile

EffiePerine Wed 13-Aug-08 13:39:15

Hello there . Dh has been all techy and managed to replace the keyboard in the laptop, so we are now a 2 copmputer household

Re mat leave, I left at 37 weeks last time and am planning ot do the same this time round. As I'm due end of Dec I should be able to get away with using a couple of weeks of leave then the Easter break. I found 37 weeks doable, but then I have an easy bus journey into work. If we manage to move before the baby arrives (am not holding my breath) then it may be a different story!

Bellybuttons: mine is starting to pop out already, it did so last time too

oops boy has woken up - better go...

Beans33 Wed 13-Aug-08 13:39:54

*Veggie" - that is gorgeous with your little DS - can't wait for my second one now!

Well, had the wax and must say it really hurt, but feel so much tidier for it. I'm definitely going to need drugs for birth!

Good title for new thread - I think mine's just going to get bigger and bigger now!

I did something a bit naughty re that little spot on my nipple... I put a pin in it last night and some white stuff came out, but not loads. And actually, it's so much better today. Do you think I should still go to the doctor, or shall I not bother? blush Feel very naughty for it! And sorry to be bit graphic and gross - don't know who else I can ask - think DH would be sick! SORRY!

mibbes Wed 13-Aug-08 13:40:10

Oh and as for Immac, I've read you shouldn't use hair removal creams during PG in more than 1 book so took it as gospel - there seems to be mixed advice on the internet though.

mibbes Wed 13-Aug-08 13:45:57

Beans sounds like the spot was just a wee harmless spot then (but of course I am no Doctor !), if it goes away in a few days I'd just forget about it. I have some strange wee spots like tiny warts/blisters (God that makes them sounds awful but they are not scary-looking !) on my aerolas, am not worried about them though...should I be ? I figured just another joy of PG to be endured... Am also getting dry patches of skin on my boobs despite slathering them in stretchamrk cream twice a day !

Beans33 Wed 13-Aug-08 13:50:28

Mibbes - I've got some of those as well on areola - was only fretting about the other one because it was actually on my nipple and was very white as well.

I've got a skintag under my left boob as well - why do these things happen? If my DH ever wants to shag me again after pregnancy, I'll be amazed! Feel so repulsive sometimes! Although other times I feel really proud of my new body! It's a confusing time!

rosmerta Wed 13-Aug-08 13:57:42

it seems my thread title was quite appropriate then grin

veggie that's so sweet of your ds, we're just getting to the point where ds will kiss my stomach and say goodnight to the baby. Other than that he doesn't seem particular bothered!

ladyt I saw your thread as well, I'd also be v annoyed if dh did something like that.

pixsix glad you've got a good GP, and that everything seems to be ok

Mw appt went well, she's made a note for my hb and at the next appt they'll book in to come round & have a chat at home! She also suggested I look at the homebirth website, apparently there are support groups that meet up quite regularly.

JamInMyWellies Wed 13-Aug-08 14:18:52

skin tags are horrible I got one last time right on my belly button so when it popped out there was this extra flap of skin, attractive Moi. grin And on belly buttons mine is right out even more so than last time looks luverly.

Beans33 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:27:50

hee hee! I think the idea of sticky-out tummy button being a nose for the baby is very sweet!

do you all wear relatively tight maternity stuff or really baggy? Mine is relatively tight, which is quite comfy, but probably looks a bit much! I'm also going for "over the bump" trousers as find them so comfortable, as opposed to "under the bump", which seem to dig in to the beastie.

SummerLightning Wed 13-Aug-08 14:41:33

beans I am wearing quite baggy stuff in general, but I am not sure that it is flattering. But today I am wearing tightish and I still think I look fat with a slightly strange figure rather than preggers! I am sure that anyone that knew me would guess I was, but not sure on strangers. It cannot be long now though until it is unmistakable!!
I think as I get a better bump I may go for tigher stuff (even if that is counter intuitive)

On a different point, has anyone tried hypnobirthing? (I think someone was saying they were going to try it). I am wondering if it is worth giving it a go, or whether it is hippy rubbish (sorry, don't want to offend anyone, but you know what I mean!) Searched old threads on here and they seemed to be very pro it, so was wondering about trying. Bearing in mind that I have a really low attention span so not sure I would have the concentration levels to do it...I always drift off in the breathing/commune with baby bits in yoga and just have a little think about what I fancy!

Veggiemummy Wed 13-Aug-08 15:08:41

we did a hypnobirthing course for last birth and really enjoyed it found the stuff very relaxing in the weeks before the birth, however didnt use it during the birth as i was just too anxious. Might give it a go this time, but to tell you the truth i'm a gas & air junky and felt i got a similar effect from it apart from the J breathing stuff. I think it is worth giving it a go, and take from it what you want. The only draw back is that all the birth videos they show are rather large american women.

SummerLightning Wed 13-Aug-08 15:15:31

The birth video I saw at my antenatal class was a lady who runs hypnobirthing courses round here...she was definitely not a larger lady. That's what got me thinking about it, as it obviously worked for her, birth looked very ok as these things go. If it could make mine easier I wonder if it's worth trying. It's quite a lot of money though. i guess I could get DVD and book but realistically I know I wouldn't do it.
Have not asked about courses yet, there may be no places anyway.
May speak to DH, he may not be up for coming on a course with me, as he may be dubious. Having said that he might be as he had to miss the antenatal course due to family crisis which he was really looking forward to.

Veggiemummy Wed 13-Aug-08 15:40:04

he might like it because it requires involvement from both of you, there is something for both of you to do in it, if he wouldn't go you would need to take someone else who would be at the birth. the reason they have all Americans is that it is fairly new here and no one in the UK (except the one you saw SL has been willing to have their birth recorded).

Have just heard from a friend who is due next month that HBs have been suspended all over Derby, she is quite upset as was really hoping for one as had bad hospital experience last time.

This thread is not accepting new messages.