Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Untitled

(3 Posts)
corgikelly Sat 09-Aug-08 18:10:44

I posted on the main Pregnancy board earlier about a smaller-than-desired fetus on my 7-week scan Thursday, but as my EDD is late March, I wondered if any of you might have gone through this...

I was freaked out when the technician told me I'd need a follow-up scan next week to see if things were going to develop properly, and, yes, regrettably, started Googling.

Heart rate was 141 bpm. It should be between 120-180 bpm at 7 wks. So that?s actually okay.

Crown rump length was 7.8 mm, which equates to an age of 6 wks 4 days. A bit behind, but not bad.

Gestational sac diameter was 20.1 mm, which equates to an age of 6 wks 2 days. Slightly less good.

My HUGE concern: yolk sac diameter was 4.9 mm. Normal would be 2.9 mm. I've found a dozen studies that say a larger than normal YS is associated with adverse outcome in the fetus. In general, a YS diameter of greater than 5.6 mm before 10 weeks is predictive of embryonic demise or gross chromosomal abnormality.

As mentioned, I'm freaking out. And what I don't understand is why what seems to be the scariest piece of the puzzle, the yolk sac, wasn't even MENTIONED by the technician.

I don't know how I'm going to last until the next scan on Wednesday.

Has anyone here had an abnormally large YS?

sunshine185 Wed 13-Aug-08 15:11:13

try not to freak out, stop googling! stress is not good for you or your fetus, chill... nothing you know or don't know will change what will be will be.... good luck and congrats! smile x

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Aug-08 15:19:15

Well hopefully she is having her scan now and her mind being put at rest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now