Talk

Advanced search

Rhesus Negative mums, advice please??!! long sorry!

(14 Posts)
KVG Thu 10-Feb-05 13:31:06

Message withdrawn

coppertop Thu 10-Feb-05 13:35:55

I am Rh Neg and dh is Rh Pos. Both of our boys are Rh Pos. In both of my pregnancies a blood sample was taken at about 24 weeks (ish?) to see if I'd developed any antibodies. I hadn't so that was the end of the matter until the boys were actually born and their blood group tested. If I'd had any bleeding during the pregnancy then it may have been monitored more closely.

coppertop Thu 10-Feb-05 13:40:12

Forgot to add that I'm not 100% sure about the time of the blood tests so I may well be corrected.

Nik72 Thu 10-Feb-05 13:40:45

I'm Rh neg and DH is positive. Had a blood test around 30 weeks -ish to check for antibodies and here you routinely get 2 anti-D injections during pregnancy at about 30 and 34 weeks then another after delivery if baby is Rh positive. I think it varies a bit from place to place. They don't always give anti-D after an early miscarriage here as the risk of forming antibodies is so very low. Try not to worry - you would only be at significant risk if you had a bleed or during delivery and your hospital should cover those.

Slink Thu 10-Feb-05 13:41:09

Hi i found out that i was rh neg at 12 weeks, then they gave me the Anti d injection and i had it at every visit when i went for scans (i went for 3, don't know if thats the norm).
What i was told that problems only arise if the baby and my blood mixes as mybody would rejcet the baby. Anyway dd 3 now is great had anti after she waas born too as she is rh pos. BUT they did say that 2nd time your body knows so there's a risk then hence not has 2nd yet

I can't do links but id you go to Babyworld they have infor there but also if your go to conception on here other mums have spoken about it. But if you need answers now then ring NHS DIRECT they are really good

hope that helps ........... a little xx

DillyDally Thu 10-Feb-05 13:41:42

I am also Neg, but i had anti D injections twice - one at about 22 weeks and one later (I think but my timings may be off here as was 17 months ago - there are health visitors / midwives here who will have up to date info)
My blood wasn't taken at every check up - but I did have the injections so perhaps that is why.
Am not sure I am much help - sorry but here is official nhs info
here

PhDMumof1 Thu 10-Feb-05 13:43:29

I am rhneg and luckily DS is too. Got worried about it like you but here they monitored twice during pg and then took blood from umbilical cord at birth and would have given me AntiD if necessary then, but not before as I showed no signs of needing it.

Have spoken to doc friends and this is all normal procedure, nothing to worry about.

pupuce Thu 10-Feb-05 13:45:43

I am Rh- and DH is Rh+ - both my kids are Rh- so not an issue at all!
It isn't always an issue - not sure how it works with miscarriages though.

Dazie Thu 10-Feb-05 13:51:03

Im Rh Neg and Had a misscarriage at about 7 weeks last year and got anti d. I then went on to get pregnant again and had anti d at I think 28 and 34 weeks I also had a small bleed at 19 weeks and got given it then. i pregnant with my third now and have been told that I will be having anti d at around 28 and 34 weeks. I think different places have different polices on this your mw should know all about it. I wouldnt worry you still have plenty of time to get it sorted.

KVG Thu 10-Feb-05 13:53:43

Message withdrawn

Slinky Thu 10-Feb-05 13:54:00

I am O Rhesus Neg. and DH is A Rhesus Pos.

I had the routine blood tests at 28 weeks, to check anaemia and antibodies with No 1. Had the Anti-D given after birth as she is a Pos. baby.

With No 2, I was given an Anti-D jab again after birth as he was another Pos. baby.

And with No 3, I had an Anti-D as a precaution at 28 weeks as I started bleeding. However, didn't need one after birth as DD2 is a Neg. baby.

Cristina7 Thu 10-Feb-05 13:57:59

If you haven’t been sensitised following the m/c (and this depends on stage, blood loss etc) then just the usual anti-D prophylaxis, at 28 and 34 weeks or if there’s a bleeding or a suspected bleeding, e.g. after a bruise to the bump.

If you have developed antibodies following the m/c and if this baby is Rh(+) (but how can you know that at this stage), then the pg needs to be monitored with a view to intervention, if needed. So it can vary from doing nothing to blood transfusion for the baby, before or after birth. This latter is a rare, extreme case scenario. If this baby is Rh(-) then nothing needs doing.

Check out the RCOG’s website at http://www.rcog.org.uk/guidelines.asp?PageID=106&GuidelineID=45

And the NICE website at
http://www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=31679

webwoman05 Thu 10-Feb-05 17:14:42

I only found out that I was O Rh neg vey late into my first pregnancy! I'm sure it was when I was over 30 weeks and a midwife said I see that you are O Rh neg. I had no idea and no one had mentioned it to me before then! I was a bit shocked myself (my mother hadn't realised all these years - turns out my sister is O Rh neg too). I had had implantation bleeding early on in pregnancy and didn't realise that I was pregnant until I was over 2 months gone.

No one seemed particularly worried about it they just said that I would have an Anti D injection at birth. I had DS at 36 weeks due to a placental abruption and lost quite a lot of blood but just short of having a transfusion. I think they gave me an Anti D just before I had my emergency C-section or it might have been after (bit hazy!) Recovered v well and quickly although DS was in Special Care for 2 weeks. I don't know what blood group DS is but DH is O Rh pos (he became a blood donor so that's how he found out!).

I am having another baby in July and had to have a CVS so they gave me another shot of Anti D afterwards as it is an invasive test and the bloods might have mixed (I think!).

In my first pregnancy no one seemed particularly concerned about me being O Rh neg but this time they seem to mention it a bit more. On the bright side our blood is very much in demand for blood donation! I have promised myself after this baby I shall become a regular blood donor!

It sounds that you have received a bit more advice since you first posted so good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I'm sure everything will be fine.

josey Thu 10-Feb-05 17:33:35

also 0- I was given anti d twice in last pg once cause i had a bleed and the other was after birth once they had tested ds who is 0+ I didnt have extra blood tests though.
You should be given a card to carry incase you have a fall bump or minor accident as this lets anyone that sees you know you need anti d,
My gran is also rh - and she had 3 kids without anti d as they didnt give it back then and she had no probs - im very suprised you didnt get it after m/c though, maybe they gave it to you with out explaining or new you didnt need it and didnt want to upset you i would find out though as it only starts to affect in 2nd pg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now