Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due November 2008....Mmmmmmmmmmmm....minty Gaviscon, swallowed not stirred

(984 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Tue 15-Jul-08 12:41:13

Thanks to Pinkali for the title smile

ChocOrange05 Tue 15-Jul-08 12:45:52

...and the constant reminder of what Gaviscon tastes like wink

ceebee74 Tue 15-Jul-08 12:46:25

Lol at the new thread - thanks Daisy for doing it smile

x

LackaDAISYcal Tue 15-Jul-08 12:50:03

vbab...in answer to your question on the end of the old thread...

what about a phil and teds with a doubles seat? You can always sell the doubles seat if you find he isn't using it, or he stops needing it sooner rather than later and you are left with just a single buggy, but I reckon it would come in handy if you were out and he got tired.

I know they are expensive, but they have a good resale value so you'd probably only spend what you would on a twin or tandem buggy anyway. Also you can pick them up in good condition on ebay and the like.

chocolategal Tue 15-Jul-08 12:50:15

loving the title!!! thank you daisy!
i will stick to my rennies tablets tho ;)

MerryMarigold Tue 15-Jul-08 12:50:50

Ha ha ha. Very good, Pinkali. Ever thought of a career in advertising copywriting? I can't believe you were a solicitor for so long grin.

And well done lacka for actually starting the thread!

I have 2 options:
A. houswork
B. sleep

Am choosing B.

vbab, I don't know about the double buggy issue. My friend had her second baby when her first was 2 and 3 months and she was fine with a buggy board. My ds has not gone in his buggy since he was 2 - we have a car grin. We don't really go out when he is tired and keep shop trips/ walks etc. short/ manageable for him as I get tired more easily than him, so circumstances are different for us. If there are places you go on a regular basis which you don't think he can manage to walk, you will need one. If you are worried about him going the other way, reins are a godsend. (Or that wrist strappy thing if you prefer, but I prefer reins). You can always 'wait and see'. If it's not working out, then get a cheap, good, secondhand one on ebay rather than splashing out on a new one that may be very heavy/ wide/ irritating.

vbab78 Tue 15-Jul-08 12:59:59

THANKS LADIES for your advice about double buggies.

I keep thinking that I will wait then the next minute I am buggy obsessed!!! sadhmmsmile

Pinkali37 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:02:15

Thank you Daisy for sorting the new thread out, I haven't got a clue as to how to do it.

MM - I know, far too humerous to be a solicitor! grin far too many boring clients too!!!

bubbaz Tue 15-Jul-08 13:18:44

Hi All,
Vbab after much thought and an almost divorce I went for a side by side double second hand from ebay quite cheap. I thought about a tandem but they are heavy and I am a weakling! I will prob only need it one day a week but I meet 2 girls that I met in my first time mums group and we usually wander around for a good few hours and DS usually has a nap any shortish journeys DS is going to have to walk as I love my pram and would like to get some more use from it! Like Merry said it depends on your circumstances - I have no experience until this one arrives - I might hate mine!!
Love the new thread title!!

Yorky Tue 15-Jul-08 13:39:08

No-one can say we didn't get our moneys worth out of the old thread!

hanaflowerisnothana Tue 15-Jul-08 13:44:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinkali37 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:47:22

Me too but hey DH is out of office and all employees are on lunch so hey... MN it is!! I often forget that DH can see my computer screen from his office and when he walks through I wonder whether it looks more guilty to suddenly click off or to just continue... i would like to add I think bollocks and just continue!

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 13:48:13

Hi all lovely thread title! yummy yum!

Regarding double buggies, well I have my P&T and mighty happy I am with it.

I wouldn't get wrist straps, I have the little life rucksacks with a 'lead' and the childrren just love them. You'll need some kind of thing like this in case you get distracted with the baby. I have a buggy buddy which is a clip that fastens to the pram handle and I clip DS's lead onto it- he walks with me just fine. DD loves her rucksack,too. She is a terror for running off so I need it.

vbab78 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:09:11

PInkyminkyohnooo - Doubt very much that I could afford a P&T. But I love the little life rucksacks. They are so cute and I think DS would like it.

Tried a wrist strap recently and DS hated it and also thinking about it could rub his poorly eczema hands. He normally wears rains but like to hold your hand also. So the rucksack sounds fab and DS loves carrying his current one. Will look into it when baby arrives. Could be a present from baby for DS.

Looked up the buggy buddy and it came up with a shopping type basket. That it? any chance you could do a link to both items?

thanks.

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 14:17:08

rucksack here big advantage over reins isthat the children like them, and they are longer, no bending!

buggy buddy clip here

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 14:20:27

I keep an eye on the P&T on ebay- they come up all the time and you could get a bargain. The good thing about them, beyond their doubles capability is that you are not stuck with a double when you no longer need it. I don't drive so it has been an essential bit of kit for me.

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 14:20:34

I'd keep an eye on the P&T on ebay- they come up all the time and you could get a bargain. The good thing about them, beyond their doubles capability is that you are not stuck with a double when you no longer need it. I don't drive so it has been an essential bit of kit for me.

vbab78 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:39:25

PInkyminkyohnooo - thanks so much. grin I pretty sure I will buy the rucksack & buggy buddy closer to baby's arrival. They definately seem the better option for my circumstance. Worst case I end up buying a buggy later but better to put it off than be stuck with one I hardly use that has cost me £ I cant really afford.

I might even wrap the rucksack up for DS from baby.grin

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 14:52:34

they ares eriously cute. The turtle and ladybird ones have a little rainhood in the top with eyes on them. DD looks very sweet in hers!grin

ceebee74 Tue 15-Jul-08 15:33:27

Vbab - I am in exactly the same situation but my DS is a bit of a 'pram-junkie' and loves to be in it - if we try and walk anywhere, after 2 minutes, we get 'cuddle Mama'...grrr! So I need a double buggy - have seen this one - would appreciate any thoughts on Graco pushchairs (Misdee and any other pram-obsessives smile) I know it is probably not the best one on the market but it is cheap and I am only going to be using it very occasionally for long trips - otherwise it will only be for a 10-minute walk to nursery every day. Any advice would be appreciated (and don't worry about telling me it is crap!! grin)

sparkletoes Tue 15-Jul-08 15:34:24

Love the new thread name well done Pinkali/Daisy!

It is soooo noisy here today as the buiders have finally started the housing development right next door. Am glad it has started at long last but hammer drills are so noisy!

Cannot recommend the little life rucksacks enough, my DS loves his! Although he does tend to want to hold the strap himself which kinda defeats the purpose. However I try to distract him and he has been fine recently.

As for double buggies, DH loves Phil n Teds and I thought I would have trouble persuading him to get one. But now I don't want one of them either! Have had similar experience with other tandems (too heavy) and the side by sides worry me as just sooo wide. Need to work out when I will actually use it I think and take it from there... The Easywalker sky duo looks great to push but very expensive. Whatever I get (if I get one) am deffo going for big wheels as big wheels seem to make for easy pushing!

Hope all are well, I am also starting to need a slurp of Gaviscon... they joys of the minty stuff!

sparkletoes Tue 15-Jul-08 15:41:22

Ceebs, that pushchair was recommended to me by a friend at work as she had an older version and thought it was good.

I think it looks the better of the 3 gracos on the market I have seen (1 was too expensive & heavy the other too long for me). My concern about that one is handle height only 101cm which is low for me (grrr!). Would definately recommend you try before you buy if you can but that one was top of my list originally - good price and love the colour. As I said before I tried the Cosatto duo in Babies r us and was not at all impressed very heavy to push. So that would rule out the Bruin duo as it is based on same model. The search goes on....

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 15-Jul-08 15:46:11

sparkles- the P&T doesn't have the same ishoos as normal tandems, becasue one child is sort of above the other, you are really just pushing a normal pram in terms of weight distribution. I've said this on one of our other threads, but lighweight doubles are a nightmare once your children weigh anything themselves, especially if one is older than the other.

ceebee74 Tue 15-Jul-08 15:46:26

Sparkle - thanks for that, that has reassured me. The main attraction is the price tbh. Both me and DH are tall so really need a high handle but then it won't fit in my car - so unless I can find a cheap one with an adjustable handle, I think we are both going to have to stoop whilst walking!! As I said, I don't envisage using it much so hopefully it will be ok - I am sure I chose DS's pushchair in about 5 minutes (and I do usually make my mind up about things veru quickly) so I have no idea why I am dithering about this so much!

Also, can't try it in the shop as it is exclusive to the website - unless I can find another stockist.

sparkletoes Tue 15-Jul-08 15:57:25

Hmmn I'm sure I saw it in a shop somewhere Ceebs, let me look back at my notes... (yes resorted to taking notes as the issue was starting to drive me crazzzy!!!)

If you can't try it then def try another similar tandem before you buy (if just to prepare/reassure yourself!). As Pinkyminky rightly says the lightweight ones are a nightmare with uneven weight distribution and that certainly applies to the tandems too as toddler tends to go in front. I am going to the Pram Centre in Glasgow which stocks most buggies as the 'Marco sky' has high handles but have also heard reports it is like a tank to push.... it is such a nightmare issue!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now