Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due June 08: less of the hens hatching, more of the cows milking?

(726 Posts)
bitofadramaqueen Thu 26-Jun-08 13:30:32

Lets hope it's not too long before everyone is hatched and milking season is in full swing!

aberdeenhiker Thu 26-Jun-08 13:58:35

And hugs to everyone still waiting for their LOs to arrive! As tiring and exhausting as the first few weeks with a newborn are, I much prefer it to the waiting for them to arrive!

whinegums Thu 26-Jun-08 14:08:07

Ok, I am willing monster to arrive before this thread is full!!!

mellymell Thu 26-Jun-08 14:19:29

Hiya

Not sure whether my absence has been noticed, but thought I'd let you know that my late and lazy DS2 arrived on Saturday. We have finally got round to working out his first name - Thomas - but still debating his middle name.

After 42 weeks, 2 sweeps, countless pineapples, curries, homeopathy, RLT, reflexology and acupuncture sessions, I went into hospital for an induction on Saturday morning. Since I was already 3 cm dilated (this child was determined to hang in there), they just broke my waters and off I went. Just used gas and air and a very small bath - I could barely sit in it with straight legs - I 'vocalised' loudly - read yelled like a wounded water buffalo until I thought my bottom was going to explode, and after 6 hours and with a rush (went from 7cm to full dilation in what felt like minutes), my DS was born.

He was 9lbs 9oz, 53 cm long with black hair on his head and a healthy proportion of fur all over his body - I have given birth to a mole! He has flippers for feet (Ed: perhaps a duck billed platypus without the bill is more accurate) and I haven't even bothered trying to squeeze him into a newborn baby grow - he is already in 3m clothes! shock

However he is quite beautiful and chilled out and DS1 has welcomed him into the family very well. smile

Now just have to cope with breast feeding again - milk has come in so have completely solid boobs with one very knackered nipple already hmm

bitofadramaqueen Thu 26-Jun-08 14:34:07

Hi mellymell - we did miss you. Congratulations on birth of baby Thomas!! You're making me feel so much better about taking very little action to get things moving...

Will go and find list and bring it to this thread (where's sophie when you need her...)

bitofadramaqueen Thu 26-Jun-08 14:36:47

Ok, took this from the last list posted on the last thread, so apologies for any errors etc:

Graduated
29/05/08 - neenz, Esther and Theo
18/05/08 - makecakes, Cecily Jean Olivia
20/05/08 - Goingfor3 Harvey
24/05/08 - Katyjo Mia Joanne
29/05/08 - pyjamrama William James Frederick
30/05/08 - Paromapu, Fleur
01/06/08 - greenfairy - Storm Josephine Frances
04/06/08 - Josey - Olivia Margaret
05/06/08 - ernest - Adele
05/05/08 - tassisssss - Rebecca Grace
07/06/08 - Aberdeen Hiker - Fraser
08/06/08 - Lorrettah - Harry
11/06/08 - Sybilvimes - James Dominic
11/06/08 - Kif - boy
11/06/08 - Lazylou - Daniel Simon
11/06/08 - systemaddict - Caitlin Rose
11/06/08 - Needahand - SJ
11/06/08 - Emotionalwreck - Sophie Louie
12/06/08 - Basilbrush - Rose Madeline
14/06/08 - Dymansluckymum - Anwyn Crystal Anne
15/06/08 - Rolf - Theodora
15/06/08 - spongebrainbigpants - Alexander
15/06/08 - Amberc - Luke Joseph
16/06/08 - Essie - Iestyn Seiriol
17/06/08 - Debinaustria - Ethan
17/06/08 - Alipalli - Peter
18/06/08 - wigeon - Eva Judith
19/06/08 - Looneytune - Joshua James
19/06/08 - Peartart - Girl
19/06/08 - Sophiewd - Sebastian Wilfrid Joseph
21/06/08 - Pedilia - Layla
07/06/08 - mellymel -Thomas
23/06/08 - Libralady - Luke Thomas Jacob

Still waiting:
06/06/08 - nettiehay -(first baby)
12/06/08 - Pregnant Penguin -(1st baby) BOY
15/06/08 - Jules43 -(1st baby)
16/06/08 - xxgemmalou22xx (first Baby
17/06/08 - fungle - (2nd baby)girl(got DD4)
18/06/08 - Josie57 -(ds1 13 months, mc sep 07)
18/06/08 - hedgehog1979 -(first baby)
20/06/08 - poppy34 -(2 m/c, one ds lost at 21 weeks) (GIRL)
20/06/08 - whinegums - (first baby) BOY
21/06/08 - HeyBaby07 -(First Baby)
21/06/08 - Hoggle -(First Baby)
22/06/08 - Upsidedowncake -(1DS 27 m, ep Aug 07) GIRL
22/06/08 - bitofadramaqueen -(first baby)
22/06/08 - ktpie -(first baby)
24/06/08 - puddock -(first baby)
24/06/08 - allnew - (first baby)
25/06/08 - Bun2 (DD 5 yrs) Girl
26/06/08 - LauraT (first baby)
26/06/08 - Claphamkitten -(first baby)

PiggyPenguin Thu 26-Jun-08 15:29:22

Is anyone having jaundice issues? With baby not themselves obviously! Jamie had to go to hospital for blood tests today because the whites of his eyes are still a bit yellow and now we are waiting for the results. The test was awful, he screamed the place down and they had to give him a syringe of sugar water to calm him. I, very usefully, sat inthe corner blubbing while dh tried to soothe him.

Does anyone know what the outcome of the test will signify? They were very close lipped about it. Hopefully everything will be fine, if not we will talk about it then... i am now really worried though so wondered if anyone else could shed a bit of light?

ktpie Thu 26-Jun-08 15:46:24

mellmel congratulations! We did miss you! Sounds like the birth went well and he sounds adorable.

Sybil - that sounds awful, sorry I have no advice.

pleasechange Thu 26-Jun-08 16:05:34

Congratulations mellymel! You certainly had a bit of a wait!

Happy due date Laura smile

I had my post-term appointment at the hospital today and they gave me another sweep (the one that the mw refused to do on Tuesday). This time they said my cervix is open grin. Hopefully something will happen soon

debinaustria Thu 26-Jun-08 16:05:39

Congratulations Mellymell - as you were my due date buddy I was waiting for news. Love the description of baby Thomas, Ethan is also very hairy - do you think it's because they were both overdue? Ethan looks so sweet today, it's so hot here that he is only wearing a sleeveless vest/body and his chubby legs and arms are on show for all to see - lovely!!

Am feeling more positive as a friend has taken the older 2 swimming, I have just slept for about an hour and a half with Ethan on the bed.

For those still overdue, when I went in to hospital after my waters breaking I was only 1cm dilated, at 11.30, by 2.30 I was only about 3 cms and he was born 4 hours later. So it can change so rapidly - don't give up hope.

OK, must do some tidying up before my Dad arrives tonight, not working myself to the bone like I usually do for his visit, but I must do something the place is an absolute tip.

Looking forward to some more birth stories soon!

hedgehog1979 Thu 26-Jun-08 16:58:23

sorry all for not being around more.

Isaac John arrived on 24th June @ 1.40am, weighing 8lb

Labour started around 3pm, was 6.5cm by 9pm and then things started to go pear shaped

Needed an epidural, Kiwi (small ventouse) and Forceps as he was not going anywhere.

Hope to be able to be a bit more active on the postnatal thread

dylansmumplusone Thu 26-Jun-08 17:15:08

great thread title! i haven't been on for so long i realised i'd lost the last thread from threads i'm on anyway.

congrats to everyone with new arrivals!! mellymell we also shared the same due date... glad Thomas finally decided to grace you with his presence. LOL at your description! i'd have gone nuts waiting until now i think.

my mum goes home tomorrow and the reality of being on my own all week with a 26 month old and a 2 week old in a second floor flat is kicking in and frankly i'm scared senseless. we've taken dylan to gymnastics in kentish town twice and both times he very nearly managed to run away. that's with 2 of us!! he is an escape artist extraordinaire.

i fear i am in for a very long summer indoors. sad

hope everyone is doing well with feeding and sleeping and all the fun stuff that goes with these new little bundles of joy! i must admit i have no complaints with anwyn - she sleeps great (just gets up to feed and straight back to sleep) and feeds better than i could have imagined. my biggest problem is trying to remove her if she's not quite on right because she latches like an industrial hoover and getting even a pinky in there is nigh on impossible! she's already gained over 1lb... is that a lot for 2 weeks??

Rolf Thu 26-Jun-08 17:40:43

Saw the contraception posts (hahahahahahaha. oops peed myself. Can you tell contraception is just not an issue here right now?). Just thought I'd let you know that I saw a friend today who has a 4.5 month old, and has just found out that she is 8 weeks pregnant shock.

will catch up properly later.

Essie3 Thu 26-Jun-08 18:07:27

Mellymell fantastic news! I find it really interesting reading everyone's birth stories etc. We should do a statistic list once everyone's popped - no. of 1st babies, no. overdue, no. on time, and weight. As someone who produced a full term baby at 6.1, I find the idea of a nine pounder amazing!!

Had a very good night last night. Iestyn went for 4 hours between feeds, and we all woke feeling refreshed. I keep worrying, though, that 1 good night = 1 very bad night. Is this the case? Or is he getting into routine?

Another question for the pros on here - nappy changing. This is really silly, but how often should I be changing him? He doesn't cry much (sorry Amber - btw, I have seriously considered maternity nurses/night nurses. I really miss the midwives and hospital backup, and I think it's a great plan to pay someone who knows what they're doing, get you some rest, and make for a happier environment.)
Anyway, yes, he doesn't cry much, and he doesn't seem upset by his nappies. But I don't want to be dirty mami who everyone avoids!

Essie3 Thu 26-Jun-08 18:09:51

X posted Rolf, ohmygod, your friend! DH and his sister were planned close together (DH March 73, sister April 74). Makes me feel quite ill...

Essie3 Thu 26-Jun-08 18:37:23

Ok, getting really concerned now. Iestyn has not been feeding so much today - it's every 4 hours, average feed 15mins, and he's sleeping plenty. Will we suffer tonight?

bitofadramaqueen Thu 26-Jun-08 19:01:15

Evening all, congratulations hedgehog!

Rolf - omigod re: your friend too. How is she coping with the shock (unless it wasn't a shock).

deb that's really encouraging re: timings etc. Have my mw appt tomorrow with sweep so hopefully I'll have an idea of how I'm doing. Baby being quiet today, just the occasional movement - do they usually move around much pre-labour or go quiet?

Essie dont know the answer to your question obviously, but doesn't sound like a silly question to me. I've got some silly nappy questions though if it will make you feel better... Would you normally change a baby before or after a feed? Also, if just using cotton wool/water or wipes, presumably you should dry baby off before putting fresh nappy on. If you're out and about would you carry a small towel for this purpose or a terry flannel or something? Last but not least, did anyone try the vaseline trick before putting on first nappy to help out with later removal of meconium? Cant help having vision of nappy being stuck to poor baby's bum because of vaseline? Oh, and very last question... do people routine put cream on baby's bum to prevent nappy rash or just put something on if it's getting a bit red or sore?

Sorry - that was longer than I intended!

amber - how are you feeling today?

Has ktpie been on today? Where are you due date buddy?

debinaustria Thu 26-Jun-08 19:19:42

DQ - Ethan did go quiet before labour started, I still got the occasional prod but not much but considering the size of him I can't imagine how he possibly had room.

Nappies - I don't change Ethan in the night unless I can smell/see that he has done a huge poo.In the day I change him after he's done a poo or when I can smell the wee!! Ethan doesn't seem bothered by dirty nappies either. I often change him between sides so that it wakes him up for the next boob!

I didn't try the vaseline , they use wipes in hospital here and they did the trick with meconium. I don't dry his bottom before putting new nappy on and I don't use cream unless I need to.

Congratulations Hegdehog on the birth of Isaac

josey Thu 26-Jun-08 20:10:33

AH lol at you with your time scales for getting active againgrin Im still a bit raw also my MW said they have started stitching a stupid way recently and she has seen alot of bad fanjos since....not good to know!!

Congrats Mellymell

Olivia is back out of intensive care, she will be monitored for 24hrs, her consultant is still planning her going home as long as there are no further probs. It occured to me that she was sick several times yesterday and as her meds are oral she possibly didnt benefit from them, he seemed to think I may be right. Problem is they feed her lying down and dont burp her, she has been getting wind so today I held her while DH did the milk we burped half away and and the end and she wasnt sick.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I will be posting on Sunday with a buba in my arms.

Rolf Thu 26-Jun-08 20:18:10

Congrats Mellymell and Hedgehog smile.

I change DD2's nappy when she is smelly or soggy or when I otherwise think of it. Not at night unless there's an obvious need. I don't put cream on unless there's a rash. Sometimes I put a muslin underneath her bum if she's very pooy - so I don't get water on her clothes - and then I'll use that to dry her off. Otherwise I don't bother.

Rolf Thu 26-Jun-08 20:23:10

Josey - v glad Olivia is doing better now and fingers crossed she's home at the weekend. Ouch re the bad stitching.

Amberc Thu 26-Jun-08 20:45:56

Josey fingers and toes all crossed that you can bring home your little girl thos weekend.

BDQ I am feeling in better spirits today thanks for asking. We went shopping and again I think I've overdone it as I'm in agony and am passing clots of blood. Stupid me. Also am deffo going to look into cranial osyteopathy as everyone has recommended it. Bought a new colic remedy today which you put in the feed. Apparently it breaks down the lactose in the milk before it gets in the baby so getting rid of wind and general tummy probs - please god! Still got terrible iron tablet related constipation - bought industrial strength suppositories and tablets so hope that works.

*Nappy things* Would you normally change a baby before or after a feed? A: Definitely after - my LO seems to have his biggest craps after a feed! Also, if just using cotton wool/water or wipes, presumably you should dry baby off before putting fresh nappy on A; I don't bother and neither did the MW at the hospital when they did it. did anyone try the vaseline trick before putting on first nappy to help out with later removal of meconium? A: Nope - it came off really easily - maybe my baby's meconium wasn't as gloopy! do people routine put cream on baby's bum to prevent nappy rash or just put something on if it's getting a bit red or sore? A: I put it on now as he has a bit of redness - only started putting it on when I saw it but it's not got any worse.

sophiewd Thu 26-Jun-08 21:08:02

Congartulations Hedgehog and Mellymell.

Sybil - Basil has a touch of Jaundice and I have been planting him in the sunlight everyday and is clearing up nicely. It ahs made him sleepy, so going short periods between feeds but as it is clearing up he is feeding more and the gaps between feeds are getting bigger.

Graduated
29/05/08 - neenz, Esther and Theo
18/05/08 - makecakes, Cecily Jean Olivia
20/05/08 - Goingfor3 Harvey
24/05/08 - Katyjo Mia Joanne
29/05/08 - pyjamrama William James Frederick
30/05/08 - Paromapu, Fleur
01/06/08 - greenfairy - Storm Josephine Frances
04/06/08 - Josey - Olivia Margaret
05/06/08 - ernest - Adele
05/05/08 - tassisssss - Rebecca Grace
07/06/08 - Aberdeen Hiker - Fraser
08/06/08 - Lorrettah - Harry
11/06/08 - Sybilvimes - James Dominic
11/06/08 - Kif - boy
11/06/08 - Lazylou - Daniel Simon
11/06/08 - systemaddict - Caitlin Rose
11/06/08 - Needahand - SJ
11/06/08 - Emotionalwreck - Sophie Louie
12/06/08 - Basilbrush - Rose Madeline
14/06/08 - Dymansluckymum - Anwyn Crystal Anne
15/06/08 - Rolf - Theodora
15/06/08 - spongebrainbigpants - Alexander
15/06/08 - Amberc - Luke Joseph
16/06/08 - Essie - Iestyn Seiriol
17/06/08 - Debinaustria - Ethan
17/06/08 - Alipalli - Peter
18/06/08 - wigeon - Eva Judith
19/06/08 - Looneytune - Joshua James
19/06/08 - Peartart - Girl
19/06/08 - Sophiewd - Sebastian Wilfrid Joseph
21/06/08 - Pedilia - Layla
07/06/08 - mellymel -Thomas
23/06/08 - Libralady - Luke Thomas Jacob
24/06/08 - Hedgehog1979 - Issac John

Still waiting:
06/06/08 - nettiehay -(first baby)
12/06/08 - Pregnant Penguin -(1st baby) BOY
15/06/08 - Jules43 -(1st baby)
16/06/08 - xxgemmalou22xx (first Baby
17/06/08 - fungle - (2nd baby)girl(got DD4)
18/06/08 - Josie57 -(ds1 13 months, mc sep 07)
20/06/08 - poppy34 -(2 m/c, one ds lost at 21 weeks) (GIRL)
20/06/08 - whinegums - (first baby) BOY
21/06/08 - HeyBaby07 -(First Baby)
21/06/08 - Hoggle -(First Baby)
22/06/08 - Upsidedowncake -(1DS 27 m, ep Aug 07) GIRL
22/06/08 - bitofadramaqueen -(first baby)
22/06/08 - ktpie -(first baby)
24/06/08 - puddock -(first baby)
24/06/08 - allnew - (first baby)
25/06/08 - Bun2 (DD 5 yrs) Girl
26/06/08 - LauraT (first baby)
26/06/08 - Claphamkitten -(first baby)

Rolf Thu 26-Jun-08 22:31:06

Mellymel - forgot to say that I love his name (I have a Thomas too!). GREAT name!

bitofadramaqueen Thu 26-Jun-08 22:39:21

Thanks everyone for nappy answers. All advice greatfully received.

Baby started to get a bit more active - keep getting sharp pains low in my bump now, and have been getting this a few evenings now. Almost like the LO is pushing on a nerve or something.

amberc so glad you're in better spirits today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now