Talk

Advanced search

NHS antenatal?

(3 Posts)
Dalify Sat 10-Aug-19 11:24:51

Hi all!
I'm due to have my first child in Feb 2020 and we're entering into the antenatal-maze!

I'm sure the midwife said something about free NHS antenatal classes for your first pregnancy, but a friend has a recommended an NCT course that is going to be about £250!

Do we do both? Is one better than the other?

Any help?

Cakeandmarshmallows Sat 10-Aug-19 11:48:31

I did both! The NHS ones are short and I think we're only two sessions one of which was feeding workshop. The nct classes were expensive and people often say you pay to make friends...which is kinda true. I did them to help educate the other half! But also to meet with ppl. I was lucky. We gelled well as a group and met up through maternity leave and are still meeting up occasionally. The what's app chat group are also good for random worried mother questions in the middle of the night and general support etc. I had no friends at the same baby stage as me so this really helped. I'm not sure I really learnt huge amounts than I already knew but I did enjoy and find it helpful.

Fredthefrog Thu 26-Sep-19 19:53:01

I did NCT but couldn't get to the NHS ones. NHS are about imparting info which is helpful but the NCT ones are helpful to talk through things like worries and fears. There were also things about post birth body and baby care etc that weren't covered at my nhs classes. It was good for me to meet people in he same boat as I also didn't have any friends with small children near by. Good luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »