Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

'Due in the new year the next generation - who ate all the pies'

(955 Posts)
Bettymamma Thu 12-Jul-07 11:53:43

I hope you all find this. I'll write a proper message once I see it works!xx

MotherofZ Thu 12-Jul-07 11:56:12

oohhhh it's all quiet here.......

Bettymamma Thu 12-Jul-07 12:01:17

I've got confused trying to read both threads!

Bettymamma Thu 12-Jul-07 12:12:45

It should be who ate all the pies?? with a question mark doh! I've let all my fellow ante-natal mumsnetters down.

Anyway - Awen - hairbands on buttons. Its a fantastic invention. How come I didn't know about this first time round? Am still in my jeans with the hairband. Brilliant. Must weigh myself at some point. Hmm maybe not.

barristermum - I'm sure Peter Jones will tell you must definitely have a sling to hold them in, a baby bjorn carrier, a bugaboo pram with all accessories, a gucci bottle holder etc. But then again I'd quite enjoy all the attention they'd give me as they're telling me this to be honest!!

Plummy - am happy that everything went ok yesterday. Take it easy, feet up, lots of sleep and relaxation and lots of being spoiled. Forget about work.

PBirdy - thanks for employment advice shall put it in my back pocket for my HR chat in 2 weeks!

MrsMcJnr - Hope all goes well today. Apples are very good craving. I've heard they can help prevent beanie getting asthma.

Beller - men whispering to each other behind your back at work?? Are they women in disguise? Actually thats an insult to women. Whens your holiday again?

mum2sons - write to your local health authority and the practition manager person and offer to sue the pants off of them.

Fruitful - will we be seeing lots of more of you now. I hope so.

Everyone else - hope you're all feeling well xx

katyt1 Thu 12-Jul-07 12:35:09

found you

well done fruitful

all ok here, just still knackered, trying out some of my mat clothes from last time, boo hiss, at 11 weeks, omg!

best go, meant to be having lunch

PBirdy Thu 12-Jul-07 12:36:04

SELF EMPLOYED

If you are self-employed (or you don't qualify for statutory maternity pay) then you can claim a maternity allowance. You need to contact Job Centre Plus to organise it. Approach the place where you work and ask for statutory maternity pay. If you aren't eligible for it, they can give you a SMP1 form that you take to the job centre.

Beller - if they are treating you differently from the normal way they treat people (ie, waiting a year before decreasing salary) then raise that in your grievance. You may be able to argue that there is a term implied in your contract through "custom and practice" that they won't decrease your salary for a year, or that they will wait a year to see whether it balances out. I am sorry you are going through this with everything else as well - your holiday is well deserved!

Must fly and do some actual work - yes, we lawyers pretend to be busy all the time but strangely we have time to mess about on mumsnet! So much more fun to talk about babies than work stuff!

PBirdy X

MrsMcJnr Thu 12-Jul-07 12:51:33

Ladies had my nuchal this morning, won’t know the results until next week but for me the very best bit was seeing beanie (aka skeletor) again – he/she is the perfect size, has a beating heart and madly waving legs and arms with little hands and was very curious about us watching it (until photo time when he/she got shy and turned it’s back on us ) it made me well up, it was the most wonderful thing I have ever seen

Thanks Barristermum sorry to hear you are still as sick hope it passes soon. I made the mistake of looking at prams etc last time round and got so confused, sounds really pathetic but I have persuaded DH that it is like buying a car and therefore he should be very actively involved with the choice thought I get to comment on colour etc cop out I know! I have a list of basics needed for a baby from my lovely friend Honeyapple on the TTC Graduates thread. I’ll post it on here at the weekend

Plummy hon you are being so brave, I am glad it went as well as it could have. Hope there was mention of investigation? You take good care x

Awen – should that be mince pies?

PinkPetal – can’t help but sure PBirdy will be around later congratulations though!

Beller poor you horrible to be in that environment. From what you have said, the fact that your employers didn’t do what they usually do and wait until the end of the year and the fact that they cut your salary when you are known to be pregnant sounds like they are on a sticky wicket to me – keep a daily diary of what happens, don’t leave things out simply because they are not set in stone but are usual events - over to PBirdy – no real knowledge in this field. Roll on that holiday!

Mum2sons – how awful!! Have you lodged a complaint? Agree with MotherofZ totally.

Hey Fruitful – glad it went well.

Well done moving us on Bettymamma interesting about the asthma.

KatyT1 – you have an excuse – it’s not your first!

PBirdy – don’t stay away too long

VictorVictoria Thu 12-Jul-07 13:15:36

Mrs Mcjnr that's great news. Were you very nervous beforehand? I have my nuchal scan next week (when I am 12 weeks exactly) and although everything was 100% fine at the last scan (9+3) am still terrified that it has all gone wrong in the interim.

Housemum Thu 12-Jul-07 13:17:47

Barristermum - take all the free advice you are offered, but then go and think about it before parting with cash!

Top tips for pushchair buying:

Will you mostly walk or use a car? If you walk, single handle you put both hands on rather than the buggy-type handles is more comfortable to push. Also, bigger wheels are better for a lot of walking, swivel wheels can be a pain except round the shops.

If you are using a car, how big is the boot? And how often will you need to put the pushchair up and down? Some are easy to fold, others you need to almost dismantle - get them to show you in the shop.

Think about punctures! If you get one with pneumatic tyres such as some of the three wheelers, think if you would be happy to pump up/repair the tyres if you were out for a long walk?

Back to fitting in the boot - some 3 wheelers have detachable wheels to put them in the boot - great, but what if you've been out in the mud? If you don't like getting your hands mucky this may not be for you!

If you use public transport, how easy is the pushchair to fold? Can you do it one-handed? (Some do advertise this) Will it stand on it's own when folded?

Do you really intend to use the pushchair long-term, or are you likely to swap to a lightweight buggy after 6/9 months? A lot of people I have know have spent nearly £500 on a pushchair, found it too bulky/heavy and then bought a £50 buggy!

Where will you keep it when you are at home? Do you have an understairs cupboard you plan to put it in, or will it live in a porch or garage, or will it be in the hallway? Think about how much space it takes folded (and rememeber the muddy wheels...) If you intend to put it in a cupboard, would you really do that in practice? When yo are knackered and just want to sit down? Also, if DD/DS asleep, can you just wheel it in and let them sleep? Does it fit somewhere downstairs that you could do that? (I have bought a cheap shower curtain to throw on hall/dining room floor to wheel it onto. Shower curtains are a good tip for just about anything - I bought a fabric one so it was less skiddy that PVC/shiny fabric, cut it in 4, and used it as highchair mats - easy wash and v cheap. Have large one that goes on table when painting etc)

Carrycot - if you go for a big system (I think like the Silver Cross Sleepover but could be wrong), some come with rigid-sided carrycots that can be used to sleep in - this would mean you don't need a Moses basket or crib, and you have something to take to peoples' houses for the baby to sleep in.

How important is image to you? I saw a prog on the BBC some time ago where they made a couple road-test a Bugaboo versus a Mothercare pushchair - they actually decided to keep the Mothercare one as the Bugaboo had several features they didn't get on with (unfortunately it was so long ago I don't remember what - might have been lack of basket or something)

Don't underestimate the irrational power of want rather than need - I have bought a second-hand Silver Cross pram for this DD3 or DS - I have always wanted one and I just had to have it. Have now got to walk to school to justify it but that's worth it (and better for the environment, too).

My personal experience:
Had a Mamas and Papas Pliko for DD2 - thought it would be sensible as folded small and I had a lot of running around to after school clubs etc to do - actually hated it as the handles always felt "wobbly" to me. A lot of the umbrella fold systems have plastic handles on top of the metal tubing and they just felt awkward to me (Bebe Confort Loola is the same) Also, DD2 was facing away from me unless I put her in the car seat on it (which is not good for babies to stay in any more than necessary) - think the new models have changed this, but be aware that it feels lovely to be pushing your new baby and looking at him/her rather than everyone apart from you seeing them!

Friend bought a Quinny Zapp for her toddler - very easy to push but a sod to collapse as you had to dismantle it, and you couldn't carry it folded unless you put it into its travel bag. Also, the 3 wheel design meant it was quite wide at the back so she was forever clipping doorways!

Maclaren Volo - only suitable for sitting up age - about 9mths plus - as no recline. I love this buggy - best lightweight buggy I've ever tried. It is very light - until she was nearly 3 I could lift DD2 up stairs in it if she had fallen asleep. Could just about do it now if I wasn't pg! Has a strap so you can sling it over your shoulder to go up stairs/escalators etc. Easy to fold. I go to London a fair bit and bought this specifically to cope with the Tube. Narrow enough to wheel down the carriage of a train, too (except for getting past the person who dumps their briefcase in the aisle...)

Anyway, that's a pretty long post but all I can think of for the moment. Even though you may feel daft in baby dep'ts when all the other customers are looking like they are about to drop, you really need to give it a lot of thought, and make the assistants show you everything - putting up, taking down, fitting car seat if applicable.

Housemum Thu 12-Jul-07 13:18:20

OMG - sorry that post was so long

beller Thu 12-Jul-07 13:53:38

Thanks Housemum that wa slong...but fab!!

My holiday is next tuesday, but my last day at work is tomorow... Monday i have the results for the nuchal scan ( 3 weeks later!!) and a counselling session, then tuesday off to sunny Lake Garda!!!!!! Pity I have to come back!!
Thanks for all the practical advice re work, im writing everything down...and will see..they havnt done a rsik assesmsnt at work yest and i know from next week they will expect me not to take a lunc hour...errrr dont think so!!! We will see...sure i will win this battle in the end!!

MrsBiscuit Thu 12-Jul-07 14:03:08

Hello, I've been trying to catch up on everyone's news - too much to comment on but...

Housemum, that's a wonderful post. I've cut, pasted and saved it for future (still got my head stuck in the sand about the practicalities of impending motherhood).

MrsMcJ, Glad your nuchal went well . Every good scan is a welcome reassurance, isn't it. I've got my nuchal on Monday - dh is away so I just hope it's all straightforward and no handholding needed.

Awen, going to try the hairbands - I'm down to my last pair of wearable jeans and a big safety pin is holding most of my work trousers together .

I've been suffering from dizziness on and off for a couple of days so I'm taking it easy at home today - about to lie down and listen to the afternoon play. Enjoying self-indulging while I can!

Take care
x

beller Thu 12-Jul-07 14:12:24

Mrsbiscuit- i get dizzy too...but im due for my B12 injection ( im permanantly anaemic).so think it might be that....take care xx

MrsMcJnr Thu 12-Jul-07 14:37:08

VictorVictoria – I think that’s a common fear hon, I was incredibly nervous beforehand – more worried that the baby wouldn’t be there than anything else, we are 13+2 today and last time we saw the baby was at 8 weeks. The sonographer was a brisk lady too and didn’t seem to grasp how emotional the whole thing was for us, she did mellow as the appointment went on but was very frosty at the start (and we paid £190 for the privilege!)

Wow Housemum - thanks, that’s gone in my baby file

Beller – hope you get great results to relax with no lunch hour is a non starter hon!

Hey MrsBiscuit – the dizzinesss could be blood pressure – take it easy x

MamaMaiasaura Thu 12-Jul-07 14:38:33

Just found it Had a super shitty day today.

Started well. Found gorgeaus black wrapround dress for my graduation next week. Very close to home my clutch buggered up Is going to be between 350 - 375 to fix AA took 20 minutes just to answer, by which time I was sobbing. The AA man was lovely when he came out tho.

Why do things like this happen when you have already paid out lots and dp is away so no advice from him, like should we get it fixed.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 12-Jul-07 14:39:14

plummy - I thought you wre PICU too, like I was. Very stressful environment, Totally understand the humour thing. Helpful in that environment too. xx

gingeme Thu 12-Jul-07 16:54:24

Afternoon ladies. I found you all. Im going to have to get a double buggy this time round though Ill be puting bean in a sling for short journeys to shops etc. I have a quinny which is exrtemely light but yes is a bugger to fold but does fold tiny. The rain cover for it is brill as its literaly 3 bits of velcro to fasten. I bought this when lo was about 6 months though. I had a Mothercare Citilite with ds3 and lo when he was new born and that was brill too and realy realy light when folded. So light I used to flick it up when going up a curb poor baby.
Not much to report today just feel sooooo warm today and my hair has a horrible smell which is weird. Anyway time to make some tea for the dc's.

Naetha Thu 12-Jul-07 17:25:57

Hello again ladies Nearly a week since I last had a read - its taken me nearly 2 hours to catch up!

First of all big hugs to Plummy - you're putting a really brave face on what must be a really emotional time. I'm so glad you've kept your sense of humour - you're an inspiration

I hope everyone else is having a good (or at least passable!) time here - I'm afraid I don't have the energy to do a MrsMac round up! Glad to hear lots more successful scans and test results coming in - fingers crossed for the remaining ones.

I've had my mum up with me for the last week which has been in all honesty - really hard work. She was meant to be looking after me after my operation, but all she did was criticise me, DH, the cats and keep on reminding us that we're all going to get such a shock when the baby comes along. She is fastidious about cleaning, but hardly did any at all, just made it very clear that she thought me a slut for only planning to hoover every 2 weeks, and letting the cat sit on one of our tables. The problem is, she left when I was 6 years old, and we haven't spent more than 2 weeks together since then, but she thinks she knows me. She thinks I'm a flawed and incomplete version of her and my sister (who is 37 and has 2 kids) and that all I need is educating and persuading, and I will be like them. Unfortunately, I'm nothing like either of them and (like to think!) I'm the finished article - this is me, and no I'm not like you mum, and doubt I ever will be....

Grr, sorry for the rant, its just been a really hard few days, just when I needed a rest the most. Still, she's gone home now so I can have some peace and quiet for the rest of my post-op recovery time.

I'm feeling much better health wise - still very tired (feels like the 1st trimester all over again) and occasionally uncomfortable, but the incisions are healing fast and I'm not so sore The only bizarre thing, is that in the operation they put a camera through my belly button into my abdominal cavity, and its now an outie rather than an innie! I hope it goes back to normal after all of this!

I still don't feel that pregnant yet, although still feeling a bit sick and nipples seem to be different one day to the next. No flutters I don't think, although when one of the cats was curled up on my lower abdomen when I was lying down earlier on, I felt what felt like tiny muscle tics a couple of times - no idea if this is what bean feels like though!

Got my scan dates through for the next one - 3rd August eek! I'll be one day short of 19 weeks which seems remarkably early, but in all honesty if it means I have to go back for another scan two weeks later I won't be complaining! Ooh btw barristermum - thanks for the advice on Airedale / BRI - ties in with what I'd heard alread - Airedale for a normal birth, BRI for an emergency.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough - enjoy your evenings!

MrsMcJnr Thu 12-Jul-07 17:44:30

Naetha – sorry that your Mum stressed you out – criticizing the cats! that’s just too much – like you can stop them from sitting anywhere they want – especially on the beanie in my bump (I have 3 of that variety of furry baby ) seriously though, I think all women find it hard to accept the way others run their houses related or not – it is always nice to get the place back to yourself. Glad the recovery is going well x

Sorry about the car Awen

Hey Gingeme – hot and sticky here too.

LilyLoo Thu 12-Jul-07 18:25:32

Oh Plummy am so sorry only just caught up but have been meaning to log on to see how you are, lots of hugs sent your way.
Mrs McJ congrats on scan !
Awen typical, so is the dress on hold ? I had my graduation yesterday, bought some linen trousers and a shirt size bigger. Lot's of standing around and queing, was exhausted at the end of the day, but very proud of myself.
I know what you mean about the symptoms sort of dissapearing and just looking like you need to cut down on the food rather than looking pg. Hairbands still working here but am off to get more linen trousers at weekend.
Hope everyone else ok, and liking the new name

LilyLoo Thu 12-Jul-07 18:28:48

beller - 28th Dec first timer
PBirdy - 28th Dec first timer
Housemum - 29 Dec, 2 DDs (14 and 4)
Macdoodle - 30 Dec 1DD 5 years
motherofz - 30th Dec 1dd (19 months)
Naetha - 30th Dec - first timer
Awen - 31st Dec - ds7 years
Imawurzel - 31st Dec - First Timer
Bettymamma - 31Dec, DD 22 months
BWMum - 1st Jan First timer
Toomanyshoes - 2nd Jan, DD 2 years
KMT - 5th Jan, First timer
lilyloo - 5th Jan ds 5, dd 2
ScotsgirlinOz - 7th Jan - 1 dd
mummybear43 - 7th Jan
ledodgy - 9th jan dd 4 ds 18mths
Mum2sons - 9th Jan 2DSs H
Goingfor3 -9th Jan 2 DDs 3 and 5
Sabinar - 9th Jan
AngeChica - 10th Jan (ish)
Sarahjct 10th Jan 1st timer
Angelcake99 - 11th Jan 1 DS 2
Jenswish - 11th Jan (I think) - First timer
Pinkelephant -11th jan (ish) First timer
BeckyAu - 13th Jan - First timer
Just thought i would add list to the new thread.
(Plummy i didn't feel it my place to take you off, but let us know if you would rather us do it and we will)

Gingeme - 14th Jan 4ds 13,11,3 and 6mths
Letsgo - 14 Jan - First timer
Barristermum - 15th Jan First timer
GemTubbs - 15th Jan, First timer
MrsMcJnr - 15 Jan First timer
mum2sam-16th jan, ds 2.5 years
Plummymummy - 25 Jan approx - ds 3
Mrs Biscuit - 25 Jan - First timer
VP - 25 Jan first timer
Katyt - 27th Jan DS 1yr
PussyCatMomma - 27th Jan(ish) First timer
Iwillbe - 27th Jan(doc says 30 but i disagree) First timer
Nicky6 - 28th Jan First timer
Mummyto2littleprincess- 29th Jan- 2 dd 4,2
Fruitful - 30th Jan dd 5, ds 2.3
Spud01 - 30th Jan, dd 14, ds 3
efmc - 31st Jan -First timer
ayrshirelolo -31st Jan
VictorVictoria - 1st Feb, ds 2

LilyLoo Thu 12-Jul-07 18:30:34

Whoops sorry i don't know what happened there. Here's the list again properly.

mummybear43 - 7th Jan
Sabinar - 9th Jan
Plummymummy - 25 Jan approx - ds 3
VP - 25 Jan first timer
Katyt - 27th Jan DS 1yr
ayrshirelolo -31st Jan

plummymummy Thu 12-Jul-07 18:33:39

Hi all. No pain today Naetha glad your recovery post op is going well. Sorry about your mum stressing you out - the main thing is the support you get from dh I suppose - and your lovely cats who are never judgemental My mum and I are not girly close but she is ever so supportive in a practical way - which I am grateful for. My dad is a bit useless on the other hand - bit too wrapped up in himself. He lives in Ireland now and I probably see him about as much as when he was around the corner (not much!). Sorry to hear about your clutch packing up Awen - these things always seem to happen when you most need the money don't they
Beller - one day left - chin up lass

Glad everyone else ok.

plummymummy Thu 12-Jul-07 18:34:27

My name needs to be taken off

LilyLoo Thu 12-Jul-07 18:40:47

mummybear43 - 7th Jan
Sabinar - 9th Jan
VP - 25 Jan first timer
Katyt - 27th Jan DS 1yr
ayrshirelolo -31st Jan

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: